Looking for a Happiness Engineer
The community using Modern Tribe’s family of free and paid WordPress plugins is growing (over 650,000 downloads and counting), which means its time for the team to grow as well. We’re looking for the right person(s) to help our users achieve their goals. Are you happy, helpful, curious and accountable? Are you comfortable using and tweaking WordPress? Are you a quick learner who gets no greater satisfaction out of life than helping people? So are we, and we can’t wait to work together.
The role we’re looking to fill requires consistent interaction with our customers and with the whole team. You will help guide the products to be the best they can be for our users. You will create tools, hacks, educational content and even hold people’s hands to help the community flourish. You will help run usability studies and find creative ways to break our products. You’ll provide responses over a variety of mediums (forums, email, social networks) to a wide array of questions, from the inane and inarticulatable to brilliant challenges. You’ll help with social media efforts. You will be on the front-lines, representing Modern Tribe to customers… in many ways, you are the face of the company. Think you might be a great fit, apply now.
Day-to-day tasks include:
* Monitoring support forums, and either answering customer questions directly or bringing in an appropriate member of the development team when you cannot.
* Moderating our support inbox, ensuring customers and potential customers receive responses in 24-48 hours of submission.
* Reviewing all the social media channels for relevant discussions and engaging in the conversation
* Testing bug reports locally and logging in our projects system, with appropriate detail and testing instructions, when a bug is confirmed as legitimate.
* Pre-release QA testing — literally, just banging on the plugins to see what you can break and logging that accordingly.
* Create tutorials, documentation, screen casts and other forums of materials to help guide people to success.
* Help run regular user testing sessions, gather feedback from the forums, and be the voice of the community during roadmap discussions.
* Support product partners (other theme and plugin authors) and non-profits.
The ideal candidate will possess most, if not all, of the following traits:
* Matches Modern Tribe’s company culture: Happy, Helpful, Curious & Accountable.
* Full-time contractor (not a full-time employee who is moonlighting).
* Speak fluent english and join 3x week team scrum on west coast hours.
* Familiarity with The Events Calendar would be a big +
* Fast, reliable Internet connection.
* Detail-oriented & well-organized (you like to create stability out of chaos).
* Solid communication skills.
* Transparent attitude & strong self-confidence.
* Are comfortable using WordPress and can crack the hood to make small tweaks.
It’s definitely a bonus if you:
* Have WordPress code experience (you know how to use hooks and filters).
* Are familiar with GIT and setting up local installs of WordPress.
We’re a digital agency with a modern twist. We are a product company. We are educators. All freelancers. All experts. In today’s world, we get to be many things to many people.
We believe in making quality products for other people and ourselves, balanced by living quality lives. We are 100% distributed & our team is spread around North America (and a hint beyond).
We believe that you should be happy, helpful, curious & accountable, on top of being good at what you do. We believe life should be lived intentionally. We believe in a class of artisans and craftsman in control of their work who solve people problems rather than just build more shit. We believe in a sustainable vision of open source, and contribute consistently into the ecosystem.
Join the Team
Think you might be a great fit, apply now. Remember that we only work with 100% full time freelancers and you have to be a real person we would be willing to go on vacations with, not some weird outsourcing solution. Include a link to your portfolio and any your .org profile so we can see what kind of cool things you have been up to.