3.5.1 Memory Leak? Reverted to 3.5

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO 3.5.1 Memory Leak? Reverted to 3.5

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kipkniskern
    Participant

Understanding that I’m using a non-standard configuration (WordPress 3.8.1 self hosted on an Azure VM Windows Server 2012 R2 (1.75Ghz Single core) PHP 5.5.9 / MySQL, I had a lot of trouble immediately with the Events 3.5.1 update. CPU usage spiked to ~100% and stayed there for quite some time, with the MySQL service using all of the CPU cycles. I reverted to 3.5 (both Calendar and Pro), and the problems immediately went away. To be honest I’m not using the Calendar much, so as long as it doesn’t crash the site (as it did twice this morning), I’m ok for the time being. Not sure if this is a Windows only problem, happy to help you track it down if it is.

kip

Casey
    Participant

kipkniskern,
    In version 3.5 and above, we’ve refactored how recurring events work. With the CPU spike, you’re probably noticing the upgrade process that runs in the background to convert your 3.4.x recurring events to the new format. How many events did you have at the time of upgrade? If you have a large number of recurring events, this process can take quite a while.

How long were you seeing the CPU/MySQL spike? I’m just curious if the upgrade process was still running or not.

Honestly, I haven’t seen any reports of this issue on Linux environments, and I’m not seeing this in my local environment (running XAMPP on Windows).

Could you try creating a fresh install of WordPress on a new VM to see if the issue occurs in a new environment?

Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

kipkniskern
    Participant

Thanks for the response. I will do some testing tonight on our beta site to see if I can get you some more information.
    Good to hear that you aren’t seeing this widespread. However, before I dig into things, a couple of points:
    1). I have already moved to 3.5, with no problems. It is the 3.5.1 update that has caused the issues.
    2). This was a 90%+ CPU spike for an extended period (multiple hours). It only stopped when I a)rebooted IIS, and then it climbed right back to 90%+ CPU again, over a period of 5 minutes or so, and stayed there, or b) when I reverted back to 3.5, where it immediately stopped.
    3). I am using the Events Calendar (basic + Pro) on a very limited basis, I only have 4 or 5 events posted.
    I will take a closer look at things, however, just wanted to acknowledge the reply for now, and I’ll get back to you soon.

kip

Casey
    Participant

Ok thanks!

kipkniskern
    Participant

Sorry I have been away from my blog to deal with the real world, but today I upgraded WordPress to 3.9, and saw that there was a 3.5.2 update to Events Calendar Pro.
    After installing WP 3.9 and checking it out, I again updated Events Calendar to 3.5.1 (Events Calendar), and 3.5.2 (EC Pro). Within a minute, CPU usage on the blog spiked to 100% and stayed there, so much so that in order to shut down IIS to revert back to 3.5, I had to kill the MySQLD process in Task Manager. The MySQL service was totally pegged at 100%, staying that way for the five minutes or so that it took to shut it down. Once I reverted back to 3.5, everything was back to normal immediately.

Again, I’m aware that my use of Windows/Azure/IIS is not common, but I have used WordPress on IIS for years with no problems (and no worries about things like Heartbleed, either!).

Unfortunately, I simply cannot take the time to try and figure out what is different between 3.5 and 3.5.x to try and fix it. My site works fine as it is (current CPU usage with 3.5 installed is about 3%). There is definitely something about the Events Calendar plugin that is causing the CPU spike, and while I can continue to stay on 3.5 for the time being, I can’t continue to use your product if it renders my site useless.

Casey
    Participant

kip,
    Can you try deactivating all other plugins to see if that resolves the issue? If so, then try reactivating them one-by-one to determine if another plugin is the culprit.

If that doesn’t help, could you also try installing the plugins on a clean install of WordPress to see if this issue persists? It’s possible that upgrading & downgrading has caused some of your event data to become corrupt, and is causing the upgrade process to get “stuck.”

Give those suggestions a try and let me know what you discover. Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

kipkniskern
    Participant

We’re coming at this problem from different angles. You are suggesting ways to get The Events Calendar to work, but I am mainly interested in making sure my site works. With EC 3.5, or with no EC, the site works perfectly – the “culprit” is clearly EC 3.5.1. This is a production site, and I am unwilling and unable to just deactivate all of my perfectly working plugins to get yours to work. Just so you understand my priorities.

I did try just now to move all of my “events” to trash (they are all in the past and there are only 7 of them). Then I upgraded to 3.5.1/2 again, and immediately CPU usage for the MySQL process spiked to 100% and stayed there, so I don’t think it is a corrupt entry.

I have made some “tweaks” to mysql.ini to speed up the site (it loads in ~2 seconds on a 1.75GHz single core Azure VM), and it is very possible that something there is causing the problems, but again, everything else is working super well, so I hate to mess with it.

I will see if I can carve out the time to set up a test setup, but even if I find that EC works by disabling another plugin, the truth is, in my case, that EC is less critical to my site than any of the other plugins I am running.

For now, I will leave things as they are, which is just fine, and re-evaluate my needs. I haven’t given up trying to get this all to work, but afraid that I simply don’t have the time to devote to it at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

kip

Casey
    Participant

kip,
    I’m definitely sorry for the inconvenience here. I’m just trying to take as many variables out of the equation as possible and get to the bottom of the issue, so we can work towards a resolution. Please let me know if there’s any other help I can offer here, or if you have further updates as you’re able to carve out time for further troubleshooting.

Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘3.5.1 Memory Leak? Reverted to 3.5’ is closed to new replies.