404 error

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nick Stamoulis
    Participant

I recently checked google web master tools and for some reason the plugin is generating thousands of pages that don’t need to exist for example: http://www.greekboston.com/events/2023-03-12/

How can I permanently delete these pages and stop this from happening?

Barry

Hi – great question!

It’s important to note that these are not pages or posts in the traditional WordPress sense (so it’s not added thousands of database entries, for instance) – rather our events page accepts queries for specific dates and returns a list of events if there are any, or else a 404 status and a note explaining that there are no events.

We do set a tag to tell search engines not to index said pages and that seems to be in place when I look at the URL you provided – really then the information Webmaster Tools is providing can probably be considered as potentially useful for diagnostics rather than an indicator of a problem, as such.

That said, we appreciate this can cause an amount of concern and inconvenience and we’re actively looking at ways to further mitigate situations like these.

Barry

Hi! It’s been a while so I’m going to go ahead and close this thread. If we can help with anything else, though, please don’t hesitate to create new threads as needed. Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘404 error’ is closed to new replies.