all reoccurring events navigate to a 404 page

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO all reoccurring events navigate to a 404 page

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    hoofdkwartier25
    Participant

When opening any reoccurring event, from the website or the admin page, I get a 404 page. The link will be ‘http://www.hoofdkwartier25.nl/?tribe_events=heerlijke-koffie-thee’ but the browser will redirect to ‘http://www.hoofdkwartier25.nl/2014-04-23’.
    I tested it with the 2011 wordpress theme and got the same error.
    My events calendar version is 3.5.1, and my pro version is 3.5.2

Barry

I’m sorry you’re experiencing difficulties.

It looks as if you are using default permalinks: is it possible to switch to “pretty” permalinks and does that improve things here?

hoofdkwartier25
    Participant

Unfortunately that did not resolve my issue. It did cause some new problems, as my calendar stopped working all together. I reverted the change in perma links which corrected the new problem, but the existing one remained.

hoofdkwartier25
    Participant

I want some information to my last comment concerning the linkage. While changing the permalinks to ‘pretty’ links, the links changed, but the address of the pages did not. With the default permalink, the event link would be something like: http://www.hoofdkwartier25.nl/?tribe_events=eventname
    with ptetty permalinks, it became ‘www.hoofdkwartier25.nl/event/test-me-2’. However, I could still find events under the old name, including new events I made. I hope this clarifies a little.

Barry

It did cause some new problems, as my calendar stopped working all together.

That’s not good šŸ™

Can you provide a little more detail though – was your site completely inaccessible, including the front page and admin screens? Or was the problem limited to all other pages, etc?

With the default permalink, the event link would be something like: http://www.hoofdkwartier25.nl/?tribe_events=eventname
    with ptetty permalinks, it became ā€˜www.hoofdkwartier25.nl/event/test-me-2ā€². However, I could still find events under the old name, including new events I made.

Right – so generally speaking using pretty permalinks doesn’t mean you can’t also use default permalinks. That said, I’m not sure I understand what the actual problem is on a practical level – can you clarify/illustrate with an example?

hoofdkwartier25
    Participant

The situation is as following: I want to create single occurrence and reoccurring events. When i create a single occurrence event, it works fine (with the default permalinks). When I create a reoccurring event, it works partially. It shows up on the event calender, I can search for them and i can edit them as the admin. However any time I try to open a reoccurring event in a browser to see what a user would see, it gives me a 404 error page. I do not get it with single occurrence events. That’s basically it. What exactly happens there I don’t know. All i can see is that the browser is somehow redirected to a non existing link, like I explained in my original post. I did not split the event, or edit any sub events of the reoccurring event.

hoofdkwartier25
    Participant

as a example, you can navigate to the page http://www.hoofdkwartier25.nl scroll down to the event calender and click on any of the ‘More information’ links. You should see a broken link. Navigate the calender to the 18th of may, you should find a single occurrence event to show that these do work.
    I tried the same things on a clean wordpress install and got the same problems. I used wp 2.9 and the calender 3.5.1 and pro 3.5.2

Barry

Thanks for bearing with us so far šŸ™‚

I used wp 2.9 and the calender 3.5.1 and pro 3.5.2

OK – I’m guessing that’s a typo as WordPress 2.9 certainly is not supported by our current releases (and I see the hallmarks of WordPress 3.9 when I view your source).

What I’m still unclear on, though, is why pretty permalinks are not viable for you and what problems are being caused when you utilize them – could you clarify this?

hoofdkwartier25
    Participant

I meant wp 3.9, it was a typo.
    using pretty permalinks is not an issue that i require to work, i really need the reoccuring events to work. But they might be related, so I’ll explain. There are no problems managing the events, it’s just the opening them in the browser which seems to be giving problems.
    When using the default premalink setting, single occurrence events work normally, and reoccurring events work as i have described in my earlier posts. Navigating to an event with name test would show up like:
    http://www.hoofdkwartier.nl/?tribe_events=test
    When i change the permalink setting to any other than the default setting, all events and event calender can no longer be displayed in the browser. All links are changed to contain the word event, and a event with the name ‘test’ would have the address http://www.hoofdkwartier.nl/event/test/
    That is what i see in the management screen, and thats the web address that is shown when i click on the ‘view event’ button. Clicking the link gives a 404 error. however if i manually navigate to
    http://www.hoofdkwartier.nl/?tribe_events=test the event is shown.
    In short I think it means that the wordpress system is trying to use the new addresses for the events, but the actual address has not been changed, so clicking links will lead you no where.

Barry

This is all pretty puzzling. We have historically had some problems when users use default permalinks instead of pretty permalinks – even so I can’t replicate what you are describing – and recurring events for instance have a URL with the following pattern:

http://www.example.com/?tribe_events=slug-name-yyyy-mm-dd (where the last segment is an actual date)

Clearly that is not the case for you and I’m unsure why. At this point, let’s take things right back to basics as I want to ensure we haven’t missed a crucial step:

I tested it with the 2011 wordpress theme and got the same error.

To be absolutely sure, can I ask you to confirm that this was a completely unmodified copy of Twenty Eleven and that you also deactivated any other plugins that were running? Additionally, can you provide a copy of your System Info as provided in the Events Help admin screen and perhaps give me a summary of who your web host is / any other details that might be useful (if it is a Windows server for instance).

Thanks!

hoofdkwartier25
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

Hmm ok – thanks for sharing that. Unfortunately no obvious clues are jumping out.

When you try using pretty permalinks, do other (non-event pages) work? Or do all posts and pages result in 404s? If so, at the very bottom of the Permalinks Settings page do you see further instructions generated by WordPress about setting up an .htaccess file?

hoofdkwartier25
    Participant

when changing the permalinks, I get no mention that an .htaccess file should be set up. I’m also getting 404 on all my pages.
    When I access the website folder through ftp, the .htaccess file is not there. new .htaccess files are immediately removed. I am guessing this might have something to do with it.

crawfbigg
    Participant

Just purchased today and having the same issue:

all reoccurring events navigate to a 404 page

Any solutions yet?

Barry

Hi crawfbigg – sorry you’re experiencing difficulties. If you feel pretty confident that your problem is the same as hoofdkwartier25’s then definitely feel free to monitor the thread. If you find that isn’t the case or need assistance for your specific installation please do create a new thread of your own and one of the team will be happy to help.

when changing the permalinks, I get no mention that an .htaccess file should be set up. Iā€™m also getting 404 on all my pages.
    When I access the website folder through ftp, the .htaccess file is not there. new .htaccess files are immediately removed. I am guessing this might have something to do with it.

OK. Based on what you’re telling me it sounds like the problem is with the hosting environment and it may be to run things successfully you will have to switch to a different package.

Let’s try one last thing though: can you change your permalink settings to a custom pathinfo rule, like this:

/index.php/%postname%/

Is the events page accessible now?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘all reoccurring events navigate to a 404 page’ is closed to new replies.