Changing "@" Date/Time separator…

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Changing "@" Date/Time separator…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Paolo
    Participant

Hello,
    I would like to change the default Date/Time separator “@” with “alle” in italian (that in english means “at”), but the corresponding field does not accept the word.
    Can someone help me, please?

Geoff

Hi Paolo,

Are you updating this under Events > Settings > Display? Putting “alle” in the field for “Date time separator” and clicking the Save Changes button should make that happen.

If not, please send me a screenshot of your settings and the steps you are using to update them. That will help me try to recreate the issue.

Cheers!
    Geoff

Paolo
    Participant

Hi Geoff,
    yes, I’m updating this under Events > Settings > Display.
    By the links you can see my steps in the order:1 and 2.

Geoff

Thanks for the screenshots, Paolo!

That’s definitely odd. I was able to recreate the same settings on my end and “alle” is accepted as the date separator. You can see it in this screenshot.

However, it looks like you want the date separator to display in the Details box but it does not display there by default. For example, here is a screenshot of the default Details box and it doesn’t include the date separator. Also, I noticed your Details box includes Start and End, but those are also not default.

Are you using any theme overrides that would change the content in the Details box? That might explain the differences we’re seeing.

Also, are you able to send me a link to one of your events? It might also help to have a screenshot of the admin screens for one of your events as well to see how they are set up.

Thanks!
    Geoff

Paolo
    Participant

This reply is private.

Paolo
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff

Thanks, Paulo! We won’t be needing your credentials this time though. The reason the date format is different is because of a customization you made with the theme. I’d love to dig in and look, but that goes a bit outside the scope of what we are able to support.

You can always remove the theme overrides and customize the date separators using the built-in functionality the plugin provides in Settings > Display. Otherwise, I suggest heading over to our documentation and making further customizations to get exactly what you want. I think the tribe_events_event_schedule_details() function might be what you’re after.

Please let me know if I can help clarify or explain anything further, thanks!

Geoff

Paolo
    Participant

Ok, I thought it might be useful for you to have access into the test site.
    Unfortunately I’m not an expert in PHP, so I’m not capable to do anything in the suggested function…

As you reported in your example screenshots above (September 15), I have the same result:
    in the “Event List” is all right, but when I select the “Single Event” page view (see my Event Test Page) the word “alle” (set in Setting > Display) is read as a set of PHP date format characters (Date/Time in WordPress):
    – a = am, pm
    – l = Sunday – Saturday
    – l = Sunday – Saturday
    – e = Europe/Rome

But why? I’ve tried to insert the escape with the “\letter” format… but nothing happens.

… So the result is (as reported in the event test link above):
    – Start: 9 maggiopmvenerdìFridayEurope/Rome14:00 (*)
    – End: 11 maggiopmdomenicaSundayEurope/Rome15:00

*(Note: maggio is may; venerdì is Friday; domenica is Sunday)

I don’t know how to solve this problem, but if you tell me that it isn’t possible to make this change, I must give up.

Geoff

As long as you’re putting “alle” in the “Date time separator” field under Events > Settings > Display, it should print as is (“alle”) instead of treating those as date formatting characters. Again, it looks like this is part of the theme override you noted earlier. You can bring the default functionality back by removing the overrides.

Are you able to remove the overrides? Otherwise, you’ll want to make some customizations to the tribe_events_event_schedule_details() function to get what you’re looking for.

Paolo
    Participant

No Geoff, I’m not able to remove the overrides… I would be happy and grateful if you can help me to do this.

Geoff

Hey there, Paulo! Unfortunately, we’re unable to assist with significant customizations. Your best bet is to use the documentation to build what you’re looking for, or to revert back to the plugin defaults to get the date separator functionality back in place.

Sorry I’m unable to give you the exact code you’re looking for, but that should definitely point you in the right direction. Let me know it if it does.

Thanks!

Paolo
    Participant

I’m sorry but the documentation can’t help me because I understand nothing in it. Can you ask to your colleagues if there is someone can help me to solve this little problem, please?

Rob

Hey Paolo! Rob from Modern Tribe here…I head up our Support team, and Geoff brought this thread to my attention just now. Wanted to jump in here to see if I could clear up what we can and cannot support here on the forums – I think we may have improperly set your expectations early on in the process, for which I apologize. We try to be really transparent, both in the terms of service users agree to when purchasing and in the overview guidelines (https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/) here at the forum, how we define the distinction between support and customizations. It appears based on what I’m seeing in this thread that the functionality is working as it should – but that the overrides themselves are the cause for concern. As that’s custom code, it’s not something we’re going to be able to do a whole lot on.

Do you know who built your overrides in the first place? I get the sense by reviewing this thread here that it was an outside developer, since presumably you’d feel comfortable correcting them yourself if you were the original author (let me know if I’m wrong there). I think getting those custom overrides sorted out is what it’s going to take to get you on the right path here – but admittedly, since those are customizations and not out-of-the-box functionality, the best we’re going to be able to do is try to point you in the right direction.

Are there specific elements of your override that you’ve got questions about? If not, and if it remains a struggle with the documentation: is there a specific portion of our docs that we could shed some more light on? I’m happy to have Geoff continue attempting to point you in the right direction, but want to caution that this doesn’t mean we’ll be able to fix your overrides for you. That’s ultimately something you/your developer will need to work out.

Hope this helps and sorry I couldn’t offer up more. Let us know what other questions you have at this time based on the information I’ve shared above. Similarly, if you have ideas on how we could be clearer about this from the offset – to spare others your disappointment down the road – I’d welcome it. I can always be reached directly via email at rob (@) this domain.

Paolo
    Participant

Hello Rob!
    Yes, I read your terms of service, but I have also read this in the plugin help: ” Written documentation can only take things so far… sometimes, you need help from a real person.”
    So, please excuse me if I have been too pretentious, but I can’t understand precisely the limits of your support because I’m not an expert in php and css code… I see “only” a simple change of “@” with “at”(“alle”), but if you tell me that it’s a big problem and this go out of your limits, I trust you.

Thank you for understanding and patience.
    Best regards and good work,
    Paolo

Geoff

Thanks for your understanding, Paolo. What we mean by a “real person” is someone you can hire to help with a customization. We use the forums here to help with bugs and issues related to plugin rather than customizations.

Going back to Rob’s questions, do you know who built the overrides for you? I understand that PHP isn’t in your comfort zone, but it looks those customizations are what is causing the issue and having that person who wrote them remove them is going to be your best bet.

The other option is to work with a clean install of the plugin without overrides to get the default date separator functionality to work. That will re-allow you to use the settings under Events > Settings > Display to get what you’re looking for.

I’m sorry I’m unable to do the custom work for you, but these options will get you there. Let me know if I can clarify them any further and I’d be happy to! 🙂

Cheers,
    Geoff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Changing "@" Date/Time separator…’ is closed to new replies.