Changing Title Of Gridview?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Changing Title Of Gridview?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’ve managed to use SEO plugins and some PHP to change the title of the event pages. However, how can I change the title of the landing page of the grid view?

Currently the title is ‘Events for April 2012’ when you load the calendar main grid view.

How can I:
    – Change this grid view title landing page to just ‘Calendar 2012’
    – Change the permalink of the grid view of each month from ‘/2012-05’ to ‘/may’
    – Add SEO details such as description and meta to the gridview?

Because the grid view is not registered as a page or post, I’m unable to use all-in-one-seo to modify which is affecting my SEO.

Thanks for listening!

Rob

Hey Aaron. Thanks for reaching out here. Our dev Jonah should be able to point you in the right direction; he’s out until Wednesday, but I’ve asked him to take a look and respond when he returns. Stay tuned and my apologies for the inconvenience in the interim.

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Aaron,

You’re likely going to need to conditionally filter the title based upon what event related page you are on. You should be able to use these conditional wrapper to help you: https://gist.github.com/2415009

You cannot change the permalink for each month in the grid view. This is a good idea though and I would suggest you add it as a feature request here: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/events-calendar-pro-feature-requests/

For SEO meta and description you’ll likewise need to conditionally set these in the code through whatever SEO plugin you’re using. You’ll need to look at the plugins documentation to find out how to do this but you should be able to manually set that stuff.

I hope that helps!

jebs38
    Participant

Jonah,
    I am having the same issue. I am using Yoast SEO and it is not grabbing the custom SEO Event Category descriptions. If I was going to try your conditional wrappers, where would I put them?

John

Rob

Hey John: just a heads up that since we were out for the holiday weekend (BBQing and all that jazz), Jonah may not have seen your response. I’ve passed this his way so he can take a look when he resumes forum work today. Thanks for your patience thus far.

Jonah
    Participant

Hi John,

It sounds like your problem is different – you are trying to get the SEO event category descriptions to be used on event category pages? Can you please explain what you’re trying to do a little more.

Thanks,
    Jonah

jebs38
    Participant

Jonah and Rob,

I am just trying to make the individual calendar pages a lot more SEO friendly. Currently I have a lot of calendars and every one of them is going to have the same title: “Events for May 2012”. If I leave that title alone, Google will not be happy with that and will see all of those pages as duplicates, which they aren’t. I was using Yoast for this because it gave me more control.

John

Jonah
    Participant

Hi John,

I still don’t understand – how/why do you have individual calendar pages? How did you create these and how are they different? Some examples/code might be helpful. By default the calendar will show you the main calendar page which should always use “Events for May 2012” as the title tag and change depending on what month you are on. If you are on an event category, the category name will be appended to the title tag.

I still need some more information.

Thanks,
    Jonah

jebs38
    Participant

Jonah,

First of all, I am using Events Calendar Pro and Community Events. I will have a main state calendar and county calendars that are categories and even some subcategories. I created calendars by creating categories. Is that not what you guys expected with your product? Am I being dense here?

When I say title of the page, I am referring to the title as shown to Google in the code: Events for May, 2012 – My Site | My Really Great Site Your product names every one of those pages the same thing for every county! No, on my install, the calendar category is NOT showing anything other than the name of the month and then my site title.

Jonah
    Participant

Hi John,

It might help to have an example to look at… So with your different categories, by pages do you mean the auto generated pages for event categories that are created or have you embedded the calendar in actual WordPress pages some other way? There is a difference.

Can you give me some actual examples I can look at? Links to these specific categories and what you would like the titles to be?

Thanks,
    Jonah

jebs38
    Participant

Jonah,

I am not trying to be a pain. I am sorry to be taking up so much of your time. Have I offended you?

I am more than willing to give you examples, but I need to send you that privately. I will contact you by email.

John

jebs38
    Participant

Jonah,

Here are some more details since you are responding back. I am talking about the event calendar pages that are created as category calendars. I am not embedding them in any other page.

John

Jonah
    Participant

Hi John, ok I think I’ve got this figured out. If you go into the SEO > Titles menu for the WordPress SEO plugin you will have options to set the title and meta description for the Tribe_events page (the main calendar page) and the Tribe_events_cat taxonomy. Take a look at the title settings parameters you can use (use %%term_title%% for event category name) and plug in your titles and descriptions and that should work.

Let me know if you need anything else with this.

Cheers,
    Jonah

jebs38
    Participant

Jonah,

Thanks for getting back with me. Please forgive me for my hyper-sensitivity.

Good try, but no go. The browser title now shows the name of the first event of the month and the title of the site. The events for May 2012 is now gone.

Jonah
    Participant

Hi John,

No worries. Hmmm, well, keep playing with the WordPress SEO settings (do you have the latest version?). I’ve got to head out but will try and revisit this later tonight or tomorrow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • The topic ‘Changing Title Of Gridview?’ is closed to new replies.