Conflict with Theme

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Conflict with Theme

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant

Hey, bit of a wordpress noob here but I’m having a little trouble with the Events Calendar Pro plugin and I believe I have it narrowed down to the theme we are using (http://themeforest.net/item/primum-responsive-vintage-wordpress-theme/2491297)

On the calender view, after using the dropdowns or next/prev buttons, the navigation controls end up stacking on top of eachother and flowing onto the actual calendar. I have tried everything I can think of, including disabling all plugins, but cannot seem to get it figured out.

If I disable our theme and enable the default Twenty Eleven theme, it seems to work fine. I have examined the ajax responses when navigating and I can kind of see the issue. It seems that somewhere along the line, a bunch of unnecessary paragraph tags are being injected into the markup, messing up the layout and breaking the scripts.

I can provide screenshots, the actual theme, and a sample of the messed up responses if needed. Thanks!

Joyce Grace

Hello David!

Thanks for writing us 🙂

Unfortunately, since this is a theme specific issue, we can’t provide much support for it. Have you asked your theme provider if they can help?

However, we do have a Themer’s Guide that might help: https://theeventscalendar.com/themers-guide-to-the-events-calendar/ as well as our technical documentation page: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/documentation

I know you’re not using Genesis, but the Guide we have to integrating the Genesis theme framework with our calendar could provide a lot of insight into what is involved when getting a theme to work with our plugin: https://theeventscalendar.com/tutorial-integrating-the-events-calendar-w-genesis/

We try to be proactive to work with theme providers to make sure our plugin works with their frameworks, but since there are so many themes out there under the sun, and not all are built according to correct WordPress standards, it’s hard to maintain compatibility with all of them. We are trying to take active steps to get our plugin to work with the most popular theme providers – more news on that when things are finalized (not for a while though!).

Sorry I can’t be of much other help!

Joyce

Michael
    Participant

I had reported this as a bug and it is still not fixed.
    I have developed a work-around, however- David you will need to edit the following line in your theme: Next to be Next

Summary of bug: In the CSS file below (see line 431), .next is defined but this conflicts with a definition on my existing site. What I’m asking you to do to fix it is to prefix these selectors with tribe-events like the other ones in your CSS file, to avoid conflicts like these.

http://demo.tri.be/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/resources/events.css?ver=3.3.1

Michael
    Participant

Next to Next

Michael
    Participant

Further correction- Change the following:
    a class=”next” href=”#”

to

a class=”next” style=”text-align:start” href=”#”

Jonah
    Participant

Hi all,

This is not a bug but more of a conflict of CSS classes. We do have it slated to be fixed in a future release but no guarantees of when it will make it in. If you are noticing this problem in your theme, you basically just need to rename the .previous and .next classes in the plugin CSS and in the single event view to fix it. If anyone has any further questions about this, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Jonah

David Maloney
    Participant

I tried your idea of renaming the .previous and .next classes, but this did not fix the issue in my case (previously reported here: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/no-events-for-the-month-misaligns-my-header/).

I am using 2.0.8 and also have this issue. Apparently, my theme is in conflict with your plugin in numerous ways.

1. The aforementioned navigation issue
    2. New events added since upgrading to 2.0.8 from 2.0.7 cause the calendar to fail to render at all.
    3. Clicking on dates of events added prior to upgrade show the current date instead of the actual date for the event.

All of these problems go away if I switch to one of the default themes like twenty eleven, but this is not an option. Is this issue simply due to style collisions from naming?

I really like this calendar plugin, it looks great when it works and installs easy, and is easy to configure. Switching themes is not an option, nor is waiting on the original theme developer to look for a workaround to which they will likely not accept fault for.

Any suggestions?

Jonah
    Participant

Hi David,

Do you have a link you can provide to your site and examples for each issue? It always helps to be able to see the problem in action…

– Jonah

David Maloney
    Participant

Yes, here is the test version of the site in a staging area (theme is not a test):

http://www.bravenewmonkey.com/home/events/

If you switch to December or later, there are no events, hidden or otherwise and the navigation at the top gets messed up.

If you switch to event list, nothing gets displayed.

If you click on one of the events, the wrong date displays.

If I add a new event, the entire calendar fails to render, but I didn’t add one at this point, since I wanted you to see the other items.

Thanks!

Rob

Thanks, David. Jonah will be hitting the forum again today and I’ve asked him to take a look here again directly. Stay tuned!

Jonah
    Participant

Hi David,

On #1:

The only work around for this is kind of involved and you may need to hire a developer to help you if you can’t figure it out. Basically, you have to first go into the plugin settings Events > Settings > Template and change the Events Template to the Default Events Template which will force the template to use it’s own built in templates for rendering event pages. Now, this is likely going to not look as good as your current template setting so what you need to do is modify the plugins template, bringing in some of the code from your themes to get things looking better. The plugins templates you’ll want to modify are:

/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/views/ecp-page-template.php and /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/views/ecp-single-template.php. Make copies of those files and place in an ‘events’ folder in your theme. Next, open up your theme’s page.php template file and find all HTML wrapper code (usually divs) and migrate this over to the plugin template files, wrapping the template code with your themes wrapper code. Where you’ll want to replace stuff is right where tribe_events_before_html() and tribe_events_after_html() are called in the plugins template files. You’ll want to put in the beginning part of the wrapper code where tribe_events_before_html() is and the closing tags where tribe_events_after_html() is. And that’s about it! Once you do that and if it’s done right and you may need to play around with it a bit, it should work.

That’s the only workaround there is for this issue right now so if that doesn’t work you’ll either need to try it again, hire someone to help you or wait for the fix to be officially released. One of our devs stated that it’s not a problem with our plugin but a problem with the way some themes use wpautop to auto insert p and br tags into the page in certain cases. So, you could try reporting the issue to your theme developer as well.

Will follow up on #2 in another comment.

– Jonah

Jonah
    Participant

On #2, that looks strange. Do you have any overrides in place in your theme? This would be an ‘events’ folder in your theme with various files. The file I’m interested in there would be single.php – if you could place paste the contents of that somewhere like pastie.org that would be great.

If you don’t have any overrides then I’m wondering if, one, switching to the Default Events Template helped, and two, have you tried deactivating all other plugins to see if there is a conflict?

On #3, this is something I’ll actually need to try out on my own so can you please send us wp admin access to pro [at] tri [dot] be and reference this thread?

Thanks,
    Jonah

David Maloney
    Participant

Hi Jonah,
    Thanks for your thorough replies. I switched to the default template and it seems to have fixed all of the issues I was having. I’m going to try what you suggested in #1 to style the default template to match the site better and see what happens.

http://www.bravenewmonkey.com/home/events/

Thanks again!
    David

Jonah
    Participant

Hi David,

Glad to hear it! Let me know how matching the templates goes.

Thanks,
    Jonah

David Maloney
    Participant

Once I used the event templates instead of the theme template all of the problems went away. It appears that the problem occurs with the use of wp_list_pages within the template, though I have not had time to try and pinpoint why.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The topic ‘Conflict with Theme’ is closed to new replies.