Display two calendars?

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Display two calendars?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Margaret Tehan
    Participant

Hello, I’d like to display two calendars on two different pages according to the events’ categories. Is this possible? I saw a similar request from someone else and the response was that they’d need to know php and/or create an iframe. I’m not that knowledgeable of php. Is there any other way to do this?

Geoff

Hi there Margaret,

Welcome back to the forums! Nice to see you again. πŸ™‚

Yes, one of the nice things about the plugin is that each category has a unique URL (e.g. [yoursite]/events/category/category-name/month) and you can send visitors directly to the month view (or any view for that matter) for that specific category.

Does that make sense? Will that work for you? Please let me know.

Cheers!
    Geoff

Margaret Tehan
    Participant

Hi Geoff. Thanks so much for your reply but… no… that doesn’t answer my question. I don’t want to use a permalink with months in it. How do I specify that the calendar on this page: http://www.apkcharities.org/events/ is for the main events that my clients are sponsoring and then add another calendar to another page that only lists events for the category “Supporting Events”? Also, while I’m writing… I just noticed that the Event Countdown widget isn’t working on my events page: http://www.apkcharities.org/events/ — see the widgets below on that page.

Geoff

Thanks for clarifying, Margaret!Β Yes, the best way to direct people to two different calendars is going to be linking them to the specific category.

So, for example, visitors can view all events using the primary URL for the event calendar:
    http://www.apkcharities.org/events/

And they can view events for a specific category using the URL for that category, such as Supporting Events, in your case:
    http://www.apkcharities.org/events/category/supporting-events/

Another route is to check out our Filter Bar add on. This allows visitors to filter the main calendar view by category. It’s not exactly the same as displaying two calendars, but is like displaying multiple calendars in a single view.

Let’s take a look at the countdown widget as well. Will you please open up a new thread for that one so it doesn’t get lost? We’ll take it from there. πŸ™‚

Does that answer your original question? Please let me know and thanks again for clarifying!

Geoff

Margaret Tehan
    Participant

Hi again, Geoff. Re: “So, for example, visitors can view all events using the primary URL for the event calendar:
    http://www.apkcharities.org/events/…” Can I have the Events page *only* list the category “APK Events” and the Supporting Events page only list the events under the category “Supporting Events”? I’m thinking that I probably can’t do that because the link back to the calendar would load the events page with *all* of the categories, correct?

Geoff

Hi Margaret!

Unfortunately, we don’t currently support a way to display just a single category in the primary calendar view in the way you’re looking for. The closest it gets is by using the Filter Bar add on, but that’s not exactly what you’re looking for either.

Looking at your site, one thing you could do is add each category to the main menu under APK Events. You can do that in Appearance > Menus. Have you tried that?

Geoff

Margaret Tehan
    Participant

Hi Geoff, I did not try that because – as I said above- “I’m thinking that I probably can’t do that because the link back to the calendar would load the events page with *all* of the categories, correct?”

Wouldn’t the link called “All Events” still appear? And if my visitors clicked on All Events, they’d be brought to a page that they didn’t see in the first place and they’d probably feel a little bit lost. But I just came up with a fix for that… one link in the main nav for all events, one drop down for APK Events and one drop down for Supporting Events.

Thanks for your help. Are there any plans in the future to allow for shortcodes or some other way to embed different calendars for different categories on different pages?

Geoff

Great work Margaret! I think we’re talking the same solution (main menu with submenu), so I’m glad it works and we’re on the same page. πŸ™‚

Yes, the “All Events” link would still appear on the single event view. However, you can remove it by creating an override of the the single-event.php template. Check out our Themer’s Guide for step-by-step instructions on creating theme overrides.

The specific line of code you will be looking for is in Line 21 of the single-event.php template:

Β <p>"> <?php _e( '« All Events', 'tribe-events-calendar' ) ?></p>

Beefing up our shortcodes is something we’re looking into, but hasn’t found its way into a release quite. I’d love it it you added your vote and voice for this feature on our UserVoice page. We check there often for ideas on new features.

Cheers!
    Geoff

Margaret Tehan
    Participant

Hi Geoff,
    Thanks for your help. I don’t really like to muck around with my plugins’ php files so I’ll leave it alone. My solution will solve the problem and I don’t really see the threat of confusion if I solve the problem the way that I described above. Meantime, I don’t mean any disrespect… I love this plugin and I’m thrilled that I found it… but I don’t know how much you guys listen to our feature requests. I’ve been asking for better support for the Headway Theme on the UserVoice page and I’m getting no where! πŸ™‚ But, OK… maybe later I’ll write a request. Thanks again for your help. Now if only Barry could figure out why the countdown widget doesn’t work on my events page, I’d be all set.

Geoff

Thanks for sharing and your honesty, Margaret, I really appreciate No disrespect taken whatsoever.

We definitely try to support as many themes as possible and sometimes it comes down to how much the theme author is also willing to support the plugin. Sorry if that hasn’t come through on the UserVoice threads but, for what it’s worth, I’m really glad you’ve been adding your votes there because it is checked.

Barry is awesome. I know he’ll get to the bottom of the countdown clock. πŸ™‚

I’m going to go ahead and close this thread, but please don’t hesitate to hit us back up here if something else pops up. We’re always happy to help!

Geoff

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Display two calendars?’ is closed to new replies.