Event Categories Month view

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Event Categories Month view

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    standupmagazin
    Participant

Hello Team Tribe,
    I have different categories from my events. I saw a tutorial from Kelly where she has Event Categories above the search bar in month view. She clicked on a specific category and one the chosen category appeared in the calendar below. The was a “home”option an then different categories. How can I make this appear on my month view? I tried and searched everywhere. Can you help me with this?

Geoff

Hi there, Mike! Thanks for getting in touch and welcome back to the forums. πŸ™‚

I was unable to locate the tutorial you’re referring to, but I think there are a couple of way you could make this happen:

1) Try the Filter Bar add on. This allows your visitors to filter events and narrow them down by lots of variables, including categories. This would be the easiest way to get what you’re looking for.

2) Hook intoΒ tribe_events_inside_before_loop(). You can use this function to add content above the month view grid. Here’s a snippet of what that might look like. It will need to be modified to suite your needs, but it should point you in the right direction. Also be sure to check out our Themer’s Guide and Documentation for more information on customizing the calendar templates.

Does this help answer your question? Please let me know. πŸ™‚

Cheers!
    Geoff

standupmagazin
    Participant

Hi Geoff,
    thanks for your fast reply. Here is the tutorial I am referring to:
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/documentation/display-categories-in-list-view/
    got to 0.16 you can see.
    I like the filter bar, but I already spent $65 for the pro version and dont really want to spend another $65 just to be able to filter the events by category. The filter bar looks quite wide, I am just trying to sort events by a few countries. Your 2nd note I did not understand. I don’t know php.
    How can we make the month view having some filter on top like in Kellys tutorial?
    Thank you for your help.
    Mike

Geoff

Thanks for sharing the link! That’s super helpful. πŸ™‚

What you’re seeing in the tutorial is the main menu of the site. Kelly had added specific Event Categories to the main menu, which you can do as well by heading over to Appearance > Menus in your WordPress admin.

Here’s a handy tutorial that goes a little deeper into how to do this.

Cheers!
    Geoff

standupmagazin
    Participant

Oh OK, I did not recognize that Kelly had the event categories in the main menu. I tried that too but is not suitable for my site. My main menu is too crowded already. I there another way other than the filter bar? Or do I need custom coding for that?
    Thank you,
    Mike

standupmagazin
    Participant

Hey Geoff,
    one last thing. I figured I can sort events by category by creating sub-menus. Now there is only one thing: If I am going to a future month and look up all events and then use the sub-menu to filter out specific events the system reloads the page to the current month. Is there a way to keep the month chosen by the user on the screen when they go to a sub menu?
    That would be awesome.

Thank you,
    Mike

Geoff

Hey there, Mike! Thanks for following up. πŸ™‚

Oh OK, I did not recognize that Kelly had the event categories in the main menu. I tried that too but is not suitable for my site. My main menu is too crowded already. I there another way other than the filter bar? Or do I need custom coding for that?

The Filter Bar is still your best way if you want to keep the categories out of your menu, but placing the categories in a submenu would be equally effective if you are willing and have room to add one more item to your menu.

Is there a way to keep the month chosen by the user on the screen when they go to a sub menu?

That’s an interesting idea. The challenging this is that it involves the WordPress menu functionality rather than what the plugin provides, so the customization would likely have to be focused there instead. Again, this is what the Filter Bar add on was designed to do and may be worth looking into.

Does this help answer your question? Please let me know. πŸ™‚

Cheers!
    Geoff

standupmagazin
    Participant

Hi Geoff,
    you are right. The filter bar is the best solution and I might just purchase that again (yet I think it should be included in the pro-version).
    I am looking for 2 things if you might be able to help me?
    Monthview: More than one month display I would like to see a 6 month over view in the single calendar view.
    Eventcategories color coded.
    Viewing options drop down on hover not on click. (More intuitive on hover)
    If you guys could help me with this (paid customization) I be very happy. Otherwise I keep looking for alternate solutions and close this case.

Thanks for your help.
    Mike

Geoff

Hey there, Mike! Awesome, I’m so glad we were able to pin down Filter Bar as a solid option for you. I agree that it seems like the best approach for this specific case.

Unfortunately, the level of customization required for these other points you’re bringing up are outside the scope of what we can provide here in the forums, but let’s see if I can help point you in the right direction. You can also email us at pro [at] tri.be and we’d be happy to share some contractors who may be able to help you out.

Monthview: More than one month display I would like to see a 6 month over view in the single calendar view.

That’s interesting! I actually haven’t seen this implemented before. List View will display events from multiple months by default, as long as there are fewer events in the current month than the list is set the show. However, Month View is designed to show one month at a time.

This is a feature that has been suggested and is something you might want to add your vote to. You can also check out the Event Rocket plugin (a third-party plugin not supported by us), which includes the ability to add calendars to a page using shortcodes. Not quite what you’re looking for, but an idea.

Eventcategories color coded.

Check this plugin out. It sounds like exactly what you’re looking for.

Viewing options drop down on hover not on click. (More intuitive on hover)

This is something that will require a fair bit of customization as well, but should be doable. Here is a direct link to the documentation for the Tribe Bar, which is a good starting place if you decide to take that on.

I see you already marked this thread as Revolved, so I’m going to go ahead and close it. Please feel free to hit us up with a new thread if any other questions pop up. We’d be happy to help. πŸ™‚

Cheers!
    Geoff

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Event Categories Month view’ is closed to new replies.