Event Expiration Time

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Event Expiration Time

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    rabbisilber
    Participant

We run events throughout the day and I have them displaying on the homepage through the widgets. How can I get them events to “expire” after the time they are set to occur so that the new events show up in the widget. For example: there is a class at 6am-7am and then another later in the day at noon. I would like the first event to expire after 7am so that the new, upcoming event, can take its place.

Geoff

Hi there, Samuel! Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the forums. 🙂

Yes, by default, the event widgets are set to display events for the current day rather than upcoming events.

The idea to display upcoming events was brought up in this previous thread. You can see in the explanation that, while it is possible to change this, there is no way to do it without modifying core plugin files.

However, the thread also explains how you might attempt to use the widget_display_callback() filter as a means of displaying only upcoming events. We’re a bit limited as far as the amount of support we can provide for customized development like this, but I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

As a final note, an upcoming events widget has been suggested as a feature on our UserVoice page. I’d encourage you to add your vote if you would like to see it included in a future release. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

Geoff

Hey there, Samuel! Just checking in to see if there’s been any further update or if you still need assistance on this one–let me know. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

rabbisilber
    Participant

Geoff, thank you for checking in. I do have another question. There is something quirky about the calendar widgets. The initial display, in the calendar as well as the widget, is correct, but when you click to the another day, either by click next in the full calendar list view or clicking on the next day in the widget, the items being displayed are not correct. Here are two link, the first to the actual calendar and the second to a page with the widget.

http://www.rabbisilber.com/schedule

Course Schedule

Geoff

Thanks for following up, Samuel!

Interesting. The events under the calendar widget seem to correspond to the correct date when I try changing dates on your site. They load slowly, but they do load.

I’m checking at this URL:
    http://www.rabbisilber.com/class-catalog/

And comparing them to the full calendar here:
    http://www.rabbisilber.com/schedule

Were you able to resolve the issue? Or perhaps try clearing your cache in the event that it needs to be cleaned out?

Cheers!
    Geoff

rabbisilber
    Participant

Hi Geoff,
    Going back to http://www.rabbisilber.com/class-catalog/, when you first load the page it shows the correct list below the calendar, but when you click another day…for instance a Sunday, it displays an expired class from September 10th and then all of the next Sunday recurring events. How do I clear the cache?

Geoff

Ah, gotcha. I see what you mean. Events display correctly on the current day, but navigating to another date will display past events that have expired.

That’s definitely odd! I see you’re using the Yoast plugin and I’ve seen similar issues pop up where Yoast caching old posts, causing them to display. Are you able to clear the cache there and try again?  If that doesn’t do the trick, we’ll need to try testing for conflicts and go from there.

Give that a shot and let me know what you find.

Cheers!
    Geoff

rabbisilber
    Participant

Geoff,
    Do I need to install another plugin to clear the Yoast cache? How do I clear it?

Geoff

You could certainly try using a caching plugin to wipe things clean. Naturally, I would suggest backing up your files and database before you do.

You could also try simply deactivating the plugin, clearing your browser cache, then seeing if there is a difference.

If the issue is still there, then try re-saving your events posts to see if that has any impact. If caching is an issue, then re-saving the posts might help.

If the issue continues to pop up, we’ll have to try some deeper troubleshooting to get to the cause. But let’s try these things first, then see what our options are. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

rabbisilber
    Participant

Hi Geoff,
    I disabled the SEO plugin and used W3 to clear all of the cache. The issue is still occurring. I went into each recurring event and clicked update to re-save it. The same issue can be seen at http://www.rabbisilber.com/schedule/list/. When you click next events, the calendar displays all recurring events for the next day. Thank you for all your help. If you need access to our site, please let me know and I an set you up as a user through the google sign-in.

Geoff

Thanks for your cooperation so far!

The next thing I would like to try here is creating a fresh test site – this will avoid any disruption to your live site and ensure that we’ve effectively got a “clean canvas” to work with.

• Please install a fresh copy of WordPress in a subdirectory (if you have a CPanel-type hosting account there will probably be a one-click install script to make this really easy)
    • Don’t install anything except The Events Calendar and Events Calendar PRO
    • Please also stick to a default theme–again, there’s no need to install anything else just yet!
    • Create a new recurring event so we have some test data to work with
    • Can you replicate the same problem?

If you find you can replicate the problem under these conditions it would be awesome if you could stop and let us know so we can take a look while the site is still running under default conditions.

Thanks for your help! Give this a shot and let me know what you find.

Cheers!
    Geoff

rabbisilber
    Participant

Hi Geoff,
    We’ve run a test on a blank site and everything seems to work fine. I have a mirror site set up at silber.shteeb.com. I can provide you with the admin login as well as DB access to troubleshoot the issue on our website. Please let me know if you would like me to grant you the access to resolve this.

Geoff

Awesome, thanks for confirming! Great job so far. 🙂

If everything seems to be working on the fresh site, then we know that we’re bug free. That’s great news because it tells us there is something else going on with the configuration, such as a conflict with the theme or plugin.

As a next step, please install and activate the theme you are using on the original site. Go ahead and publish some more events. Does the same issue come up? If so, stop testing and let me know so I can take a look.

Cheers!
    Geoff

rabbisilber
    Participant

Geoff,
    I copied over the events. You can go to http://www.rabbisilber.com/classes/ and you will see the same issue on the calendar widget. The issue is also displaying in the regular calendar list view when you click next. Do you have an email address that I can use to register you to log in to the site?

Geoff

Hey there! That link is to the original site. Can you send a link to the issue on the fresh install? Also, when did the issue come back–when you activated the theme, or a specific plugin?

Thanks!
    Geoff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘Event Expiration Time’ is closed to new replies.