Event & Recurring Events

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Event & Recurring Events

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Darci Anderson
    Participant

We are having event issues. When we create an event, we have proper time/date

http://www.heritageqc.com/event/financial-peace-university/2014-09-17

as above, however, recurring events time shifts by several hours unto the following date. When we click on the subsequent days we to a 404 page.

Any help there?

Adrian

Thank you in advance

Darci Anderson
    Participant

it seems like these events are being pushed exactly 5 hours ahead of time so an 6 pm start time will start at 11 pm if it ends at 8 pm it will be pushed to 1 am the following day. i’ve gone through the other comments and others are having similar issues. do you all have any updates?

Brook
    Participant

Howdy heritagechurch,

Indeed we have seen a few issues like this recently. Mostly as a result of Series Engine. It seems that a recent change made it so that the default WP Timezone was changed by that plugin, which affects all other plugins installed. That can be an issue when other plugins like ours rely on the timezone that WP itself sets as a baseline.

We are considering some options on our end to see if we can make our plugin more resilient. In the mean time one of users found a work around. They say it works! But, it might actually cause Series Engine to malfunction. I have seen no reports of that, but it is a concern because it basically switches the timezone back to the WP default which Series Engine is evidently relying on it not being the usual. Anyways if you would like to give it a whirl, feel free. Just note that it involves directly modifying our plugin, so you will have to remake this change when you update the plugin. At least until we are able to work out a solution with Series Engine, then simply updating their plugin or ours will fix it for you.

Does that make sense? Any more questions? Please let me know. Thanks!

– Brook

Darci Anderson
    Participant

Brook,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Thanks for the work around. Our programmer worked the fix and it helped our events online. Thank you. However, now we have a separate issue. We forward the iCal feeds to our mobile app. to pull the events from our ical feed to our events on our mobile app. Now those are 5 hours earlier than they should. And on that note, only the first instance is being pulled not the recurrences.

Can you shed a little light here.

Thank you.

Great support, fast and friendly. Thank you once more.

Adrian Campos

Brook
    Participant

That is no doubt the result of the same conflict. Assuming it is not possible to disable Series Engine, then some more work is ahead for you to integrate the two.  The easiest way to integrate them is going to be to search Series Engine’s code for “date_default_timezone_set“. You might be able to comment out the line that added this, though there is a fair possibility that could cause problems for Series. You could check the code in Series that runs it, and then after it has run set the timezone back to the WP default using the same function, that way it is proper when The Events Calendar loads it and there are no glitches. Finally, if you are willing to risk that there are not other areas of our plugin that will glitch (something I can not guarantee)  then you could have your programmer take a look at our iCal exported and apply a fix modeled after the first one.

Due to the sheer amount of reports we have seen about this in recent weeks I believe a recent Series Engine update has started this whole timezone tug of war. It might be possible that downgrading to an older version, maybe one that is 2+ months old will resolve it? Or, it might be possible for you to just wait on our solution. To be super open, we do not yet have a fix in the work. I did just contact the gent who makes those decisions though, and I am sure he will put it on the docket as quick as reasonably possible.

Hopefully one of those 5 options will work for you, Adrian. Please let me know how it goes. Thank you!

– Brook

Brook
    Participant

Hello again,

I wanted to give you an update now that we have ironed out our plans. We are realistically too close to our next plugin release to be able to integrate a fix for this. There is a certain point at which our codebase freezes so no more changes are made, and then we start testing everything for quality and bugs. We are too close to that deadline.

But we would like to prioritize it after that. In the mean time one other option revealed itself. Pasting this snippet in your functions.php *might* solve the timeshift issues, but it also runs the risk of messing up other plugins that changed it in the first place.

Cheers!

– Brook

Darci Anderson
    Participant

Brook,

Thanks for getting back to us. Totally understand, no worries there. We contacted series engine and they informed us to turn on time.ly functionality. Our programmer removed the coded band aid and time.ly was turned on. Seemed to have fixed it. However, wondering what we need to do to push recurring events to our iCal feeds? Little advice there.

Thank you in advance.

Adrian

Brook
    Participant

Thank for sharing the solution Adrian. Glad that worked!

Recurring events should already appear in your iCal feeds. Go to wpshindig.com and click export, and you will see them appear. If you are not seeing them appear, then it is once again quite possible that a theme or plugin is conflicting. This guide will help you test if something is conflicting. If something is, it then walks you through identifying what is conflicting. Once we know that we can work towards a fix.

By the way, it is worth noting that our forum rules request you open a new topic for each issue. Not that we super strictly enforce this, but it tend sto be in  your best interests as we have found it results in faster response times. Just worth mentioning for the future.

Please let me know if that turns out to be a conflict. If so, mind mentioning what was conflicting? Thanks!

– Brook

Darci Anderson
    Participant

Hey Brook,
    Thanks for the info. I’ll make sure to post one issue per thread. Forgot this can help others as well and really isn’t a “Help Desk”. So we’re following up with this same issue though. We are nailing down the dates and time and our developers have been able to fix the problem. I do have one related, but separate that I’ll begin a second thread on.
    Thank you for your help.

Brook
    Participant

Thanks Adrian! It might not be a help desk per se, but it certainly serves much the same function.

We have found that not only does one issue per topic result in faster responses, it also has benefits for future users trying to research problems. One other major benefit is that it helps ensure things do not slip through the cracks. If you are adressing multiple issues in one thread, especially one involving multiple users, it is easy to get so focused on some that one slips through. No good!

Since this is now resolved I am going to archive the topic. Thanks for posting and sharing that solution!

– Brook

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Event & Recurring Events’ is closed to new replies.