Events calendar version update breaks the backend

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Events calendar version update breaks the backend

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    silvana
    Participant

Hi There, I have events calendar and calendar PRO. When I update the free calendar plugin, the entire backend goes blank!! but the front end does not get affected. I have done this twice and I get the same result so I have to uninstall the plugin and put the older version. Please assist… I’m using wordpress 4.0 and I also have calendars PRO installed with and active linscense – I would appreciate your prompt response.

Barry

Hi Silvana,

I’m sorry you’ve had such a rough upgrade experience.

Can you confirm which versions of The Events Calendar and Events Calendar PRO you are updating from?

Do you have any customizations (such as template overrides or event-related snippets in your theme’s functions.php file) in place and does removing or temporarily disabling them help?

silvana
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

Hi Silvana,

I appreciate the offer of access and we can explore that later if we need to – right now though I think we might be able to make progress without.

First, to avoid potential heartbreak in the future, please do take the time to make a full and complete backup (and familiarize yourself with the process for restoring that backup). Hopefully you will not need it – but it’s better to be safe than sorry 🙂

What I suggest is removing any customizations – or, temporarily stop them from loading by commenting out any relevant snippets in functions.php and rename the tribe-events directory to __tribe-events (that way you can easily restore them later). From there, deactivate PRO – as you have a comparatively old version installed – and begin by updating The Events Calendar itself.

Hopefully that goes without a hitch – you can then update Events Calendar PRO (it may be best in this situation to grab a fresh copy from our downloads page and upload it manually) and reactivate it.

Next you’ll need to figure out if your customizations are still compatible – so uncomment any snippets and change your __tribe-events directory back to tribe-events – if you hit problems you’ll need to consider revising or even dropping some of them, but let’s deal with the first part of the task first of all and try and get the latest versions of our plugins running first of all.

(I do appreciate you may be reluctant to run through this process on your live site. If so, consider setting up a test site first of all.)

Let me know how you get on!

silvana
    Participant

Thanks for your help, I followed your recommendations and both plugins are working, however, its pretty disappointing that I lost the entire layout work I had before due to the dramatic changes you guys did in the plugin. I think Tri.be should either preserve the location of templates/layout files or improve the overall presentation and look and feel in future version. I have to re do everything again.

Regards,

silvana
    Participant

OMG my apologies.. Everything is good!! and the plugin is great! thanks a lot for your help. the templates are there…

Barry

I’m really happy to hear it!

One quick note for your future reference though is to check out our products news stream – when we do make significant changes or modify something like the template structure (there are those rare occasions where it is unavoidable) we do our best to make our users aware through a suitable blog post – so reviewing that is always a good idea before updating.

At any rate, it sounds like everything is good at this point which is awesome so I’ll go ahead and close this topic out – but definitely feel free to create new ones as needed if we can help with anything else.

Last but not least, if you have a moment to spare we’d love to hear your thoughts on The Events Calendar across on our plugin review page – thanks again!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Events calendar version update breaks the backend’ is closed to new replies.