Events listings shared between main University site and campus sites

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Events listings shared between main University site and campus sites

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Vernon Thornblad

I have tested The Event Calendar on the dev site of one of our campus websites. We would now like to know if it’s possible with the pro version, multi-site license to have the events listed on the various campus sites across the country automatically load into the events listing for the main University site.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Vernon

Barry

Hi Vernon – great question!

That’s definitely possible, yes, though it’s not facilitated “out of the box” and a little custom dev work would be required to do this.

Does that answer your question?

Vernon Thornblad

Yes….well it partially answers it. Can you specify just how much and what sort of dev work would be required? What are the obstacles?

Thanks,

Vernon

Vernon Thornblad

Any word on this, Barry?

Barry

I’m sorry, Vernon: for some reason this thread wasn’t flagged up as being in need of a reply until you posted your second follow-up (and I have been out-of-office this week). Ideally another team member would have picked this up in my absence but that doesn’t seem to have happened – so please do accept our apologies on that count.

Can you specify just how much and what sort of dev work would be required? What are the obstacles?

It’s difficult to say exactly simply because I don’t know your full requirements and of course discussing them in depth is beyond what we can do for you here in the pre-sales forum.

That said, two avenues come to mind immediately. One is that every time an event is created/updated on a “child site” you create or update a corresponding event within the primary blog – that shouldn’t be too arduous but would require a decent working knowledge of developing on the WordPress platform (as we have built up The Events Calendar on top of systems like custom post types – so the WordPress API alone would allow you to do this – though we do have some helper functions of our own).

The second is that you query each child site in turn (not necessarily too tricky, in essence it would boil down to using switch_to_blog() and tribe_get_events() creatively) and combine – and possibly cache – the results, or else craft a custom query, or set of queries, to do the same thing directly.

I’d love to go in to more detail, but realistically a custom development task like this – though it’s certainly achievable – is something where we’d need to leave the implementation details to you.

Thanks again!

Barry

Hi – it’s been a while so I’ll go ahead and close the thread (it will no longer be monitored by staff for replies). Of course if there are any other questions please don’t hesitate to open new threads and let us know 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Events listings shared between main University site and campus sites’ is closed to new replies.