Front page slider stops working with update from 3.3

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Front page slider stops working with update from 3.3

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    sdep
    Participant

I’m still having problems with my slider (gabfire – Advanced Newspaper theme) not working when updating beyond version 3.3. I wrote to Gabfire themes and no one will get back to me. I went as far as building a whole new site to do testing with all my plugins and it seems to be a conflict with my theme. I really like your plugin and want to keep it, but fear that I may be getting so far behind in updates that it may crash soon, especially if I update to WP 4.0. I don’t think I’ll get any help from Gabfire and was wondering if you can help in any way. Thanks!

Geoff

Hi Stacey, that’s definitely frustrating and I’m sorry to hear that.

I really appreciate you taking the steps to determine it’s a conflict with the theme. We try to support as many themes as we can, but can’t get every one of them. I have added the one you’re using (Gabfire Advanced Newspaper) to a list of incompatible theme issues we have so we can keep a record of it.

I see that you had opened a similar thread several months ago with a similar issue. Does that answer still apply?

Cheers!
    Geoff

sdep
    Participant

Hi Geoff,
    Thanks for the quick reply! Not sure what you mean when you say ‘Does that answer still apply?’ I forgot about that thread. I was new to WP back then 🙂 I will try adding the snippet of code that was suggested and will get back to you.
    Cheers,
    Stacey

Below is from previous thread:
    This appears to be a bug that shipped with our 3.2 release. As a first step, would you mind trying to resolve this by dropping this snippet into your theme’s functions.php file: https://gist.github.com/jazbek/7442734 (You’ll probably need to remove the opening PHP tag.)

Geoff

Great! Let’s see how that goes. Keep me posted. 🙂

Geoff

Hey there, just checking in to see if there’s been any further update or if you still need assistance on this one–let me know. 🙂

sdep
    Participant

Tried the fix above (github). White screen of death! Gabfire does not respond to my emails. My support subscription had expired with them and before renewing it, I wanted to know if they could fix my problem. Not sure what to do. Change themes? Big hassle. I’m guessing that if I never update your plugin, my site will crash sooner or later.

Geoff

Sometimes having that opening PHP tag in there can cause the white screen of death. Give it a shot without and let’s see if that helps. 🙂

Geoff

sdep
    Participant

Without the PHP tag I had a long paragraph of code show up in the top of the page and when I opened an event, all that was on the page was the same paragraph of code. ??

Geoff

That’s certainly strange! I was able to add the snippet to my functions.php file (leaving out the opening PHP tag) without errors or text appearing on the screen. My hunch is that there is a syntax issue in your file that needs to be cleaned. For example, check for stray semicolons and closing brackets.

I’m guessing that if I never update your plugin, my site will crash sooner or later.

The plugin will continue to work regardless if it is updated or not. We do recommend, though, that you use synced version numbers of Modern Tribe plugins (for example TEC 3.8 with TEC PRO 3.8) so the functionality is consistent across the board. And, like any other plugin, updating themes and installing other plugins can potentially cause conflicts, but not always. It’s always a good idea to backup your files and database when doing any updates of any kind. 🙂

Geoff

sdep
    Participant

Well, I have no idea what the problem was. I decided I needed to finally update to wordpress 4.0, and so with fingers crossed and backups ready I deactivated all my plugins and updated to 4.0. After that I activated the events calendar 3.8 , events calendar pro 3.8 and all my other plugins, one at a time. Holding my breath, I cleared my cache and checked my site to find all was working. I even did a second update to 3.8.1 a few hours later and it is still working! I’m guessing that Gabfire changed something in the last update or possibly another plugin in a recent update. Very glad to have your plugin working again! Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Geoff

Awesome, thanks for the update Stacey! I’m so glad things are holding together and working like they should be. 🙂

I’m going to go ahead and close this thread, but please feel free to hit us up with a new thread if any other questions pop up. We’d be happy to help!

Cheers,
    Geoff

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Front page slider stops working with update from 3.3’ is closed to new replies.