geolocation & map view won't work

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO geolocation & map view won't work

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    nopberlin
    Participant

Hello,
    Eventcalendar Pro is really a great plugin. Unfortunately the geo location search (within a radius of) & the map view wont work. We tried this on our test server and live server. We deactivated the plugin and changed the theme without any result.

On http://www.erosa.de we deactivated the faulty map view, but you can see the behavior on our test server http://er2014.devplaza.de/eventkalender/ (credential in the formular)
    Both server are hosted by Strato.

This feature is crucial for our event calender. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Regards Enno

George
    Participant

Hey @nopberlin,

Thanks for the kind words about the plugin! Sorry you’re having some trouble here – however, I went to the link you provided and found a few events there with maps enabled. All the map views I was able to find worked fine for me, like on this page for example: http://er2014.devplaza.de/eventdetail/testserie-ohne-rec-event/

If you see issues on that page, can you elaborate on exactly what they are? Does the map show up for you at all?

Also, I’m curious: what web browser and operating system have you been using when you see issues with Google Maps? If you view your site in different browsers, do you still have the same problems?

Thanks,
    George

nopberlin
    Participant

Hi George,

thanks for your fast response. Sorry, I guess I did not make myself clear enough. Yes , the maps are displayed on the detail page of the respective event.

The feature that does not work is the following: chose the map view (Karte) in the drop down list beyond “list, month, week”. The big map will be displayed but does not show any events.

Second thing that is associated with it: the search function “near ” ( Umkreis) also does not work . When I type “Berlin” > “Berlin , Deutschland” is displayed, that’s ok. But the search returns no results .

Regards Enno

George
    Participant

Hey Enno,

Sorry I wasn’t understanding your issue exactly, thanks for clarifying it!

That info helped significantly, and I was able to take a closer look at things on your site and see what’s going on. There’s a 404 error showing up in my debugging tools when I visit your site, which is likely the source of the problem – and if not the problem itself, it’s something that has to be fixed before proceeding.

These 404 errors show up by design. They indicate that there aren’t any events being found, which could be a simple problem to fix – how exactly and accurately have you entered the full address for all your event locations? If you’re comfortable sharing admin login information for your site, that could be very helpful – note that we wouldn’t actually change anything, but just look at your Events in the admin to see how things are configured. (Note: if you decide to share login information here, be sure to mark your reply as “Private” so that only you and the support team see your info).

Can you share a link to an event that will take place in the future, and has its full address added correctly in the Edit Event view?

Thank you for your patience, I’m sure we’ll get things working soon.
    George

nopberlin
    Participant

This reply is private.

George
    Participant

Hey Enno!

Thanks for sharing your login information here. We’ve removed it from the site just for security purposes – but we’re definitely still able to log into your admin and investigate this issue more closely.

Before doing that, though, one last step: I do need you to confirm that you’re happy with us troubleshooting on your live site. Be aware that this may cause some amount of disruption, and that we can’t accept any liability for problems that might result. I strongly recommend that you make a complete backup before I begin and that you know how to restore that backup.

If you can reply to  acknowledge that that is all in order, we can get started! Thanks for being patient with this issue.
    — George

nopberlin
    Participant

This reply is private.

George
    Participant

Hey Enno,

Thanks for giving us the go-ahead, we’re working hard on troubleshooting your issues and are trying to resolve them. For now, there’s something you can do that might make a significant difference here – if you head to your Events Settings pages, you might be able to find an option to regenerate event Geolocation data.

If you find this option, definitely try regenerating that data and seeing if anything improves.

If you can’t find this option, I’d recommend navigating to venues in your admin and making slight modifications to the addresses and updating the venues. These should be nonsensical minor adjustments, like adding a random letter or something. Go to the front end, then back to the venue in the admin, and change the address back to the real, official address.

This will forcefully regenerate the data which may help.

Finally, for now, I’m also curious: what is your web hosting situation in this case? Are you on a shared server or something? It is possible that your webserver at large has reached its free Google Maps API limit, which is not your fault at all, but definitely something that will hinder Maps functionality on your site.

Thank you for your continued patience,
    George

nopberlin
    Participant

This reply is private.

George
    Participant

Hey Enno,

Thanks for confirming that about your hosting environment – what made you discover that being on a shared host was the reason for your issues here? For example, did you contact your hosting provider’s customer support?

I’m just curious about this because there may still be other issues with your maps view here. But if you know for a fact that being on a shared host is preventing you from accessing the Maps API, then we need to resolve that before moving forward.

Unfortunately, Google’s API limits for Maps are based on IP address. So, in this case, there’s not a customizable API key we can easily swap out to get things working.

I did some research on the forums here, and one solution that seems to have worked for a few people is to ask your web host to move your site to a virtual server. This usually gets you a dedicated IP address, or in other words a “clean slate” with the Google API limits – you’ll have API access all to yourself. (Note: if you do this, you will likely have to go through your saved Event Venues and do the “refresher” tweak I mentioned in a reply above – make a small tweak to the address, save it, then edit it back to its original state, and save again).

Does that all make sense? If so, keep us posted on whether your host and help you here. We’re quite limited in how far we can help with issues relating to hosting environments,  but hopefully this advice can help at least things moving in the right direction.

Thanks!

George

colinusher
    Participant

Hi there, I am having the same problem but when I am logged in as Admin, the map function works perfectly but not when I am logged out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

George
    Participant

Hey @colinusher,

I was checking in on this ticket because it’s been stagnant for a long time, and am literally just seeing your comment here for the first time – I’m really sorry I didn’t see this earlier!

Are you still having issues? If so, please open up a new support ticket and we give you proper attention there, especially since it seems like a slightly different issue than the one in this ticket.

Enno, any progress or updates on this ticket? I will likely close it up soon since it’s been stagnant for a while now, but wanted to check-in one last time before closing it.

Cheers,
    George

George
    Participant

Hello,

This issue’s been sitting here a while so I’m going to go ahead and close it for now – if other issues arise, don’t hesitate to come back and open a new ticket, and if you need to open a new ticket about the same issues you originally brought up here, please share a link to this original ticket so we can pick up where we left off.

Cheers!
    George

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘geolocation & map view won't work’ is closed to new replies.