Google Maps Error – Map not displaying with Pagelines DMS2

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Google Maps Error – Map not displaying with Pagelines DMS2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Pat Donegan
    Participant

Hi Guys,
    I’m getting a strange error which I’m hoping you might be able to assist me with fixing.
    On these two pages:
    http://www.noelgroup.ie/venue/skills-teamnoel-recruitment/
    http://www.noelgroup.ie/event/manual-handling-2/
    The Google maps don’t appear – event though the address is correct and it does display the venue when you click on the +Google Map link.
    Firebug tells me that “An error occurred while updating %1$s:” when i examine the element.
    I have no idea what this means or how to resolve it.
    Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff

Hi there, Gavin! Welcome back to the forums–nice to see you again. πŸ™‚

Shoot, I see what you’re talking about. Definitely not good.

Map issues can pop up for all sorts of reasons. For example, Google limits the number of queries to its API per domain, which can cause the map to go blank. I don’t think that’s what is happening here, but just an illustration that we may have to try a few things to crack this one.

The first thing I want to do is confirm that the issue still popped up when you reverted to a default WordPress theme (e.g. Twenty Fourteen) and deactivated all other plugins. I see you tried those steps–thanks for that!–so did you see any difference?

Secondly, do you know if the theme any other installed plugins use the Google Maps API? I’m guessing we’ll find out in the first step, but I just want to make sure because a common issue pops up when two plugins are trying to add the API at once.

The third thing I’d like to try is verifying the addresses themselves. Will you please install and activate the Event Rocket plugin? This adds a “Coordinates” meta box (screenshot) to the editing screen for individual events, which allows you to see and refine the location of your event. Try confirming the location for the events with location to see if that makes a difference.

Give these steps a shot and let me know what you find. πŸ™‚

Cheers!
    Geoff

Pat Donegan
    Participant

Hi Geoff!
    Nice to speak with you again too. πŸ™‚ Thanks for coming back to me so quickly. I really appreciate it.
    So to answer your questions.

1. When I reverted to the 2014 theme – the whole site fell apart. Its build on pagelines DMS2 which is pretty unique in terms of how it templates etc. So basically – I couldn’t tell if the issue persisted when I did that, because nothing was rendering. And I didn’t want to make a load of changes so it would render in case that just made new problems. So I don’t know if the maps issue persisted or not. πŸ™
    I know that doesn’t answer your question exactly but I’m hoping its something else.

I would think that the most likely problem is the second one you mention re: Google Maps API. I know that I’m using a pagelines maps section on a number of pages – an example is here:
    http://www.noelgroup.ie/contact-noel-recruitment/

Finally, I’ve installed Event Rocket. (Cool Plugin!) Unfortunately, that hasn’t done the trick. Though the co-ordinates it picked up were right on the money.

I think your second suggestion sounds like the most likely issue. Is there anything we can do other than disable the other plugin. That would be a real drag. It features in 11 different pages, and I’d have to rebuild all of those maps in another plugin.

Or is there a way we can code out the maps from event calendar? As long as we had the working google link and the address in there – I’m ok with the maps not displaying.

I’ll take on any suggestions really. Thanks again for your help with this.

Geoff

Hi there Gavin! Thanks for following up. Great job working on this so far–I really appreciate you sticking with me here. πŸ™‚

I think we’re onto something with the conflict of using two APIs on the page.

One method to avoid having to deactivate it would be to dequeue its scripts from all event pages. You may need to contact the plugin author for specific guidance here, but you can find more information on theΒ wp_dequeue_script() function in the WordPress Codex.

If this doesn’t do the trick, I’d like to try some deeper troubleshooting with a default theme and no other plugins installed. We’ll cross that bridge and I’ll walk you through those steps if we need to. πŸ™‚

Cheers!
    Geoff

Geoff

Hey there, Gavin! It’s been a while so I’m going to go ahead and close this thread. If we can help with anything else, though, please don’t hesitate to open a new thread. We’d be happy to help. πŸ™‚

Cheers!
    Geoff

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Google Maps Error – Map not displaying with Pagelines DMS2’ is closed to new replies.