Highlight certain events as posts?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Highlight certain events as posts?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    James O’Sullivan
    Participant

Hi there, enjoying the plugin alot, thank you kindly. On question I have is that there is an option under Events > Settings > General and it says the following “Include events in main blog loop” now I would like to do this but only for certain big events so for now I have left this unchecked. However is there anyway whereby I could check an event that came in to be featured in the blog and then the rest not. Currently we create the event and then separately create a new post and copy the content from one to the other and well as you can see if you get events daily it is not very scalable. So I was wondering if there was any solution here to this as this option seems like it could be used somehow with tags maybe or is there some filter that can be used in the functions.php file etc? Any help would be much appreciated here as this is a real time consumer.
    Thanks in advance

Barry

Hi – glad you’re enjoying the plugin 🙂

I definitely think this is achievable. That said, it does sound like the sort of customization though that we’d primarily have to leave in your hands. In broad outline though this is how I might tackle it:

• Set a post meta field (simply using WordPress’s native custom fields feature, which you can enable for events in the Additional Fields settings tab) to identify the events in question
    • Modify WordPress’s main query in order to alter the where clause
    • Set it such that it includes posts wherever the post_type is a post or the post_type field is tribe_events and the meta_key and meta_value are appropriately set

You could alternatively test against a specific tag or other taxonomy term being set – there are quite a few ways you go tackle it, really – and so ultimately a lot will depend on what you yourself find easiest to code and of course what the people managing events on a day-to-day basis will be happy with.

Good luck 🙂

James O’Sullivan
    Participant

@Barry, it would be super to base this off a tag, so for example you place a tag on an event to say “featured” and then it would pop into the main Blog loop then for example. Do you know of anyone in the forums or anyone in your partners who have done something like this already and could master this on our example, I do not mind if its a paid job just trying to get an idea of costs here as this is something we possible will need in the future regardless of now. I like the feature that is there currently, but it is an all or nothing feature as you know so therefore we have to switch it off unfortunately and try and look at something like the tag doing this. I think others would certainly benefit from the all or nothing feature being developed to include tags or something a little more flexible to be honest so hopefully in the future releases you guys consider something like this. Thanks

Barry

Hi!

I’m sure basing this off tags is possible and the basic approach wouldn’t be radically different from what I outlined: that said, it is a sufficiently complex customization that we can’t walk you through it here on the forum.

I’m afraid I don’t know of any existing snippets that are out in the open and would show you the way forward here, but it could be worth spending some time searching against various different keywords as I may simply have failed to hit the right ones – and indeed a broader search might give you some actual code that is close enough that you can work from it and adapt it.

Beyond that, what I’d suggest if you want to see this in a future release is posting a feature request: this is super helpful as it also allows other users to comment on the idea and potentially upvote it, giving us a good indication of how much demand might exist.

I do not mind if its a paid job just trying to get an idea of costs here as this is something we possible will need in the future regardless of now.

Unfortunately I can’t give an idea of the potential costs if you choose to hire a developer for this one – their rates and how quickly they can accomplish this vary a lot (and it isn’t something Modern Tribe would typically take on as paid work, I’m afraid).

I hope that clarifies things – and please do post that feature request! I don’t think there’s much more we can do right now here on the forums though and will go ahead and close out the thread.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Highlight certain events as posts?’ is closed to new replies.