How to have two different calendars on a site

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO How to have two different calendars on a site

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    veruska
    Participant

I already have The Events Calendar Pro and my events are published in a page on a school website. Now I need to set up a second page with another calendar where teachers would be able to enter their plans for the next classes and such calendar would have to show just Fridays and Saturdays. Is there another option or do I have to instal another calendar plugin?

Barry

Hi: interesting idea!

There are a few approaches you might take here:

• One is to convert your site to a multisite network – and activate The Events Calendar on a second site within the network (the advantage over creating a completely new WordPress installation being, all the updates are in common with one another and the user accounts can readily be reused
    • A different approach could be to ensure teachers create these new events and apply a suitable category or tag (like “planning”). With a little customization work you could set these to ordinarily be ignored (such as when the main events page is viewed) and then when they are deliberately viewed at the appropriate URL you could serve a custom template that only displays Fridays and Saturdays

There are probably different strategies, too, but hopefully those ideas will at least give you a starting point for figuring out the best solution in your case. Remember that if you choose a path requiring customization work, we have all of these great resources to help you:

Thanks – and good luck 🙂

veruska
    Participant

Thank you for your response. I didn’t see it until now. I usually do a search on your site with my username and I’m able to see all posts, but not this one. Anyway, I’ll try to work on the second option as the first seems way to complicated for me. I still can’t figure out how to force it to open on another URL but I understand your instruction about categories or tags. I’m sure I’ll need further help, but let me try first.

Barry

I usually do a search on your site with my username and I’m able to see all posts, but not this one.

It’s possibly a glitch with our forum tools – we’ll check into this (and sorry for any inconvenience – but thank you for bringing it to our attention) 🙂

I’m sure I’ll need further help, but let me try first.

Certainly, just let us know if you have further questions. I’ll leave this thread open for the time being.

veruska
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

Well, perhaps it would be simpler to set up a general category, with appropriate subcategories if needed, and perhaps also a planning category. You could then link to each separately from your navigation menu. Would that work for you here?

veruska
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

Only one seems to be categorized – basically though if you open the event and look for Categoria de Evento you can see the assigned category or categories below that. Click on one of those links and just copy and paste the resulting URL.

Alternatively, within the admin environment, visit the Events Categories screen and right click the View link under the appropriate category and copy the link location (this step will vary slightly depending on which web browser you are using).

You will then have a category-specific event URL you can use in menus or anywhere else you like.

Does that help?

veruska
    Participant

It does help (thank you!) except for the fact that it opens within the same page of the regular events. So I guess I need to figure out how to force it to open on another page. Not sure if this is a question for you or for a WP forum …

Barry

Do you mean you want to open it in a new tab (or window) rather than the same one?

If so, and you add the link via WordPress’s post editor, just be sure to check the open in a new tab checkbox. Or, if you are crafting the link manually, add a target attribute:

<a href="http://some-url.com/etc/etc/" target="_blank" />

If you’re doing it from a WordPress nav menu though then, yeah, it’s probably one to take across to the WP forums.

Good luck!

veruska
    Participant

No. What I meant was: I created a WP Page for Events and another WP Page for School Classes. So the Page Events opens because on your Config it catches the URL Slug but Config doesn’t let me add a second slug. I’ll try to find an answer on WP forum. But thank you!

Barry

Oh I’m sorry, I completely misunderstood.

It’s important to note, then, that The Events Calendar/Events Calendar PRO by themselves do not support being embedded within other pages or posts so, yes, you’re bound to hit difficulties if you take that approach.

Barry

Hi! It’s been a while so I’m going to go ahead and close this thread. If we can help with anything else, though, please don’t hesitate to create new threads as needed. Thanks!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘How to have two different calendars on a site’ is closed to new replies.