iCal Import – How do we get it to add event to an existing calendar in Outlook

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO iCal Import – How do we get it to add event to an existing calendar in Outlook

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    dupontgroupnh
    Participant

I am a non-techie user of the calendar within my company’s new WordPress site set-up by a consultant. Consultant and paid tech support can’t help me correct this issue. I honestly want to cry. I can’t think on the level of “hacks” and other fixes. Is there no way for a simple human to fix this problem? What is the point of having iCal functionality if it doesn’t function? Really frustrated. I look like an idiot to my boss and clients who visit our page seeking calendar items. I can’t even explain to my boss why this doesn’t work. Can anyone help someone like me who just manages a WordPress site for work, but doesn’t know how to rewrite code, etc.?

dupontgroupnh
    Participant

This reply is private.

Casey D

Hello dupontgroupnh,

Sorry you are dealing with this frustration, thanks for contacting us!

Can you give me more specifics as to what is happening, or where it is going wrong?

You should be able to download the ‘iCal’ .ics file from the event and then import that into Outlook with really no problems. Are you getting other results?

Let me know what I can do to help!

– Casey Driscoll

dupontgroupnh
    Participant

Hi Casey,
    Thanks for being willing to help! I’m so grateful! The .ics files import themselves into a brand new “dummy” Outlook calendar, rather than the owner of the computer’s personal, existing Outlook calendar. For example, I have the Susan Connolly Outlook calendar. When I download an iCal from the Modern Tribe product it doesn’t import that into my calendar, it creates a whole new fresh, neverbeforeseen calendar for the item by itself. This is happening for folks within my organization and outside of it. We all run different browsers and operate through Microsoft 365. Please let me know your thoughts. This is the second calendar app I’ve purchased for my company and I will be heartbroken if I can’t make it work and have to find another. Thank you.

dupontgroupnh
    Participant

Casey,
    I should add that our tech support consultant suggested the problem is that with each iCal click, a Calendar is being created automatically rather than an Appointment. Is there somewhere I can change this setting?

Andy Fragen

There are 2 solutions posted in this thread, https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/ical-single-event-import-file-creates-new-calendar/

Hopefully one of them works for you. Be aware that these solutions might mess up compatibility with non-Outlook calendars.

Andy Fragen

When I get back from vacation I’ll roll this fix into a plugin an put it up on WP.org. Stay tuned in this space.

dupontgroupnh
    Participant

Thank you, Andy!

Casey D

Thanks Andy, I believe that is the correct solution here.

Does this make sense dupontgroupnh? Let me know if this doesn’t work for you.

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

Andy Fragen

Ok, I’ve submitted the plugin, The Events Calendar Outlook Import Fix to the WP.org repo. If/when it gets approved the link will actually show some code.

Andy Fragen

The plugin has been approved and is up. Download and activate.

Andy Fragen

BTW, feedback and/or a review over on WP.org about whether or not it works for you would be great. 🙂

Casey
    Participant

dupontgroupnh,
    I just wanted to follow up and see if you’re all set here or if you still have further questions. Just let me know if you have further questions or if I should go ahead and close out this thread. Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

Casey
    Participant

Since I haven’t heard back from you here, I’m going to go ahead and close out this thread. Feel free to start a new thread if you have further issues. Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘iCal Import – How do we get it to add event to an existing calendar in Outlook’ is closed to new replies.