Import & Export Events

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Import & Export Events

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    darius

I am considering replacing my existing events calendar/manager with this one but because I have close to a hundred events already in my existing database, is there a way to import these events into this manager? Additionally, can the full list of events be downloaded to a file (CSV, sql, xml) if the need should arise?

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Darius,

There’s not a way to do this directly via our plugin but you should be able to use some other tools to help you with the migration. One such tool that will help is: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/convert-post-types/ – unfortunately though it will not migrate the event date/time information.

For that you’ll need to use some sort of custom SQL query. I’ve got a real raw sample you can try. Be sure to test this out after making a backup but I recently used this migrating events from another (EC3) plugin to The Events Calendar and was pretty successful: https://gist.github.com/4136499 – you’ll need to make some changes to the script if there’s other fields or data you need to migrate and you’ll need to figure out how to pull the plugin’s specific events from whatever table they’re stored in…

We’re also working on an import plugin so that might help if you’ve got a CSV file of events…

I hope that helps but let me know if you need anything else.

– Jonah

darius

That helps a lot… thanks!

Leah

Thanks Darius!

Tali
    Participant

I’m wondering whether I should try using the raw sample from above or f I should wait for the import plugin you mentioned. Can you give me an idea of when it will be available?

Leah

Hi Tali,

We’re hoping to have the CSV Importer included in our upcoming 3.0 release, but no guarantees. Version 3.0 is in progress and we hope to have it out in early 2013. If you’ll need the importer soon I recommend using the fix above, as we do not have any release dates specifically set and can’t guarantee anything yet. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Cheers,
    Leah

Tali
    Participant

Hi Leah,
    Thanks for the reply. Can you give me a barebones idea of what to expect using the script above? Does it work like a plugin? I just want to import events from google calendar. I have a years worth of scheduling all set up for the school I’m working at!

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Tali,

No, the above script is not a plugin, it’s just a PHP script with some MySQL sprinkled in to help migrate events from one plugin to another. In order to get the script to execute you create a page titled “Migrate” and then add the script code to your theme’s page.php template. Then, you visit that page on your website and the script will run. You won’t see anything else happen, but if you look at your database you will see the changes made. Like I mentioned above it’s a real raw script and should be used with caution. You should definitely make a backup of your database before running it and you might need to run the script a couple times, adjusting some of the MySQL code to get things to work right with your setup. It was meant to migrate events from the old EC3 plugin so you’ll need to figure out how the plugin you want to migrate from stores events (what database table) and adjust the code accordingly.

Hopefully that provides a little more clarification and will help you to get this working in your setup. Unfortunately we cannot provide any further support for the above script so use it at your own risk.

– Jonah

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Import & Export Events’ is closed to new replies.