Issue with Thesis 2.0 and Events Calendar Pro

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Issue with Thesis 2.0 and Events Calendar Pro

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Laura Kammermeier
    Participant

I’m wondering if anyone has completely and successfully integrated Events Calendar Pro with Thesis 2.0. I’m running into a conflict where the main events page shows incorrect dates.

For background, we’re currently running Events Calendar Pro 3.7 and Thesis 2.1.9. We have not engaged any upgrades recently. This problem has persisted since development. We have an events landing page here…

http://rochesterbirding.com/events/

If you look at the date on the Durand Eastman Park Field Trip, for example, you’ll notice that it’s listed as May 19, 2014. However, if you click on the event detail page…

Durand Eastman Park Field Trip

…you’ll notice that the date is properly listed as November 16, 2014. The reason is that Events Calendar Pro is using Thesis’ “Home” template as its default for the main page (which shows all posts by their original post date, not the actual event date. Obviously, I want to show the event date instead). The event detail pages are using an “Event” template, so they’re working just fine. There does not appear to be a way to get The Events Calendar Pro to use a different Thesis template for the main page.

I did find a related post in this forum where another Thesis 2.0 user reported a similar problem:

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/events-calendar-template-thesis-2-0/

I followed Brook’s suggestion and I created a standard WordPress custom template that can be selected under Events -> Settings -> Display -> Events template. Now I’m wondering what code this new standard custom template must have to solve my problem. Can anyone help?

(Given Brook’s statement in the forum post above, I wonder if it’s worth noting that Thesis 2.0 creates different templates through a custom skin editor, not the standard WordPress page template method. That fact is probably at the heart of this problem.)

In advance, thanks so much for your help!

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Laura,

Thanks for all of the details. That is a pretty serious compromise of functionality. We have wanted to work with Thesis to increase compatibility with our plugins. But, the honest truth is that has unfortunately fallen to the back burner for a while.

Would you be interested in emailing me a copy of your theme? It is pretty impressive that Thesis has manager to change the post dates around inside of our template. That would be difficult to do. I’d like to examine the code to see if I can determine how, then maybe I can offer you a solution? I can notmake any promises other than I will try. To get me a copy of the theme, could you zip it up and email it to [email protected]? Please reference this thread in the email so we know what it’s in relation to.

Would that work for you?

– Brook

Laura Kammermeier
    Participant

Brook,
    My designer will send you information today and cc: me. Thanks!

Laura

Brook
    Participant

Thank you Laura! I am going to give that a whirl today and see if I can get it working.

– Brook

Brook
    Participant

Hello again,

I was not able to reproduce this locally. My manager did give me the go ahead to spend a little extra time. I want to double check that I have setup my theme how Thesis recommends. I have to swing back round to this later today. Thanks again!

– Brook

Laura Kammermeier
    Participant

Thank You, Brook! Let us know if we can provide further info or insights from our end. Did you work with a fresh installation of the software and theme? I’m wondering if your version selected the Thesis “Home” template by default, like it did with ours.

Brook
    Participant

I apologize for my delay. Typically we don’t due integrations of this level, but as I said this was a special case. Unfortunately due to it involving more time it has taken me longer to get back.

I was able to get this working completely. I basically did all of the step you would find in a guide like this. In the end there was nothing special. I did not create a child theme in my testing. But I was able to get it working. On the /events/ page all of the dates were correct, in list and Month views.

The template I used on the events pages was the default “Events template” which I selected from WP admin > Events > Settings > Display. It did appear to be based on the home page template, very similar.

Since I can not reproduce the problem, it is likely something more unique to your setup that is causing this. I have seen more than a few plugins do this stuff. Have you guys had a chance to do a conflict test wherein you only disable your plugins, and keep the theme active? What about if you switch from your child to the parent theme? Is your theme definitely unmodified, no additions even in functions.php?

Thanks again for your patience! I hope we can figure out the difference between my experience and yours.

– Brook

Laura Kammermeier
    Participant

No worries, Brook! We’re equally interested in getting to the bottom of this. Chances are good that we won’t be the only ones with this issue, so it behooves all involved to figure out a solution.

I’ve gone into our staging site and have turned off all plugins, except for The Events Calendar, The Events Calendar Pro, and The Events Calendar/Facebook Events. I switched to the Thesis parent theme (which is unmodified) and still see the same problem. The events landing page still uses the dates of the posts, not the events. (Event detail pages are fine). You can see the results here…

http://rba.staging.wpengine.com/events/

I did try switching to Twenty Thirteen as recommended in the documentation and things did display correctly there (but that’s not a surprise, since the problem seems to be related to Thesis).

Just wondering. When you go to Admin -> Events -> Settings -> Display in your installation, what options are available in the dropdown? We see only “Default,” “Default Page Template,” and “Default Events Template.” Currently “Default” is being used, but we’ve tried all of the above without effect on the main landing page (only the event detail pages respond to the event template being changed). Also, when you’re viewing your main events landing page, what Thesis template is being used? (You can tell by the bottom left tab that appears on the screen when you’re logged in). Ours says “Home” and there doesn’t appear to be any option to change it.

Any other ideas? This is a squirrely problem for sure. We appreciate your help, Brook!

Brook
    Participant

Howdy laurakammsgmailcom,

I am glad you asked that. First of all I missed your reply. Sorry for ignoring you! 🙁

The reason why I am glad you asked is because I was able to reproduce your problem! Oddly, only when I used the Default Events Template. Which if my notes above are accurate, is what I used before! Still squirrely. But, the real trick is I was able to fix the problem by switching to Default or Default Page templates. When I switched back Default Events Template the problem resurfaced. The page /events/ page was no longer displaying like a calendar (my default view is set to calendar), and the events themselves were showing up as blog posts with publish dates instead of events with event meta.

Could you try the following?

1. Switch to the parent Thesis theme
    2. Go to Events > Settings > Display, you should see three items in your drop down like me.
    3. Select Default
    4. Undef Default View, select Month (this is only for while we test to make things easier)
    5. Hit Update
    6. Visit the /events/ page.

Did that work? If not, try switching to the Default Page template. Did that work? If not try out a few of the other templates and see if it fixes it. If not, let me know. This is still a little weird. Evidently we are seeing the problem come and go, or my notes above are inaccurate. Perhaps I meant to say “page template” not “events template”.

Thanks Laura. I look forward to a speedy resolution now that I have noticed your response. I will be keeping an eye on this topic.

– Brook

Laura Kammermeier
    Participant

Hello Brook!

My apologies for the long response time on my end–the holiday intervened!

I’ve given your suggestions a try, and while I can’t report success at getting the landing page to show the correct dates, I have a hunch that the results of the testing might yield a clue or two. Curiously, when I try the Default template and Month view, I see nothing at all on the landing page. Not sure why that would be.

One thought occurs to me: we have categorized our events. I’m wondering if this presents yet another variable that might be causing a problem? Have you tried categorizing yours? See the screenshot here for the categorizing (it’s in the lower right corner):

http://snag.gy/AQ1YE.jpg

Note: I’m getting the same results whether I’m using the Thesis parent theme or the child theme (I’ve tried both).

———————————————————-

In our database, we have these events scheduled in December, in the following categories:

Category: Field Trip:
    Conesus Lake Area Field Trip
    December 6

Category: Field Trip:
    Beginner Trip: Nations Road
    December 7

Category: Monthly Meetings/Speakers
    December: Jeff & Tess Freedman – A Comparison of Birds/East Africa and Central New York
    December 11

———————————————————

Results of testing templates and default views:

Events Template: Default, Default Page Template
    Default View: Month
    Result on events landing page: No events show at all – see http://snag.gy/6zoK0.jpg
    Result on detail pages: Event page shows correct date

Events Template: Default Events Template
    Default View: Month
    Result on events landing page: No events show at all
    Result on detail pages: Event page shows post date, not event date

—-

Events Template: Default, Default Page Template
    Default View: List
    Result on events landing page: Events show post date, not event date
    Result on detail pages: Event page shows correct date

Events Template: Default Events Template
    Default View: List
    Result on events landing page: Events mentioned above show up. They show the post date, not event date – see http://snag.gy/mGDhv.jpg
    Result on detail pages: Event page shows post date, not event date

———————————————————-

Hope that helps shed some light. Many thanks for all of your help!

Laura Kammermeier
    Participant

Hello Brook!
    I have an update for you on this end. We didn’t solve the problem, but we found a satisfactory workaround.

All of our events are categorized, and whatever templates are involved with the category landing pages, they seem to jive all right with Thesis. So, we decided to create a master category (Upcoming Events), and made sure that all of our events were in that category (as well as their own subcategories). Instead of linking our navigation bar directly to the events landing page at /events, we’re linking to the landing page of this master category instead. You can see the results here:

http://rochesterbirding.com/events/category/events-trips/

It isn’t a solution to the actual problem–we just found another way to skin the cat, so to speak 🙂 It works for us enough to close the ticket. I hope this helps other people who might run into the same issue.

Thanks again for all your help—we appreciate it!

Brook
    Participant

Thanks for the update Laura. I really appreciate it, and all the details. After our new site is launched we will be coming back and writing anumber of tutorials. One I am looking forward to is making The Events Calendar compatible with Thesis. We are even talking about reaching out to Thesis and seeing if they wish to work with us in that endeavor, assuming we find stuff that is best teamed up on.

In the interim, if anyone comes across this problem as well please let us know and we will add you to the list of people to notify once that tutorial is released and our investigation is under way. I am going to archive this topic since it has been marked resolved. So certainly feel free to open a new topic if you also are experiencing a problem like this. Thanks!

– Brook

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Issue with Thesis 2.0 and Events Calendar Pro’ is closed to new replies.