Latest 3.5.2 still breaking site

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Latest 3.5.2 still breaking site

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    justeverything
    Participant

Hi there

I’ve previously posted about major problems with my websites after upgrading the pro plugin to to 3.5 and 3.5.1.

I switched back to 3.4 for the pro plug in (though the other EC plugins were all latest versions) and this fixed the problem somewhat, but the site was still getting many errors each day.

I gave the latest 3.5.2 a try on our test site, and this still broke the site. The admin panel is not able to be logged in to, and loading the front end takes ages.

So I have had to remove the pro plug in altogether.

This has fixed all the errors, and things are back to normal.

However, I greatly miss some features of the pro plugin.

Was 3.5.2 meant to resolve these issues, or are you still working on them?

Brook
    Participant

Hello justeverything,

Thank you for reaching out. First of all to answer your question, 3.5.2 fixed a bug relating to recurring events that duplicated past the cut off date. More details here.

Would you mind if I got some details from you about your environment? First of all, what server/host are you using? How much memory does the php.ini file allow for? Can you increase it to see if that helps?

Also, could you grab your system information and paste it here? Even you are running the old version of PRO this could be useful. Make sure to use the ‘Set as private reply’ checkbox to protect your private information from the public. You can find the system info by going to WP Admin > Events > Settings, clicking on the “Help” tab, and scrolling down to the ‘System Information’ box. (Or by going to [yoursite]/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=tribe_events&page=tribe-events-calendar&tab=help) That will give me a lot of extra information to help diagnose the problem.

Thanks again. I look forward to helping you resolve this.

– Brook

justeverything
    Participant

I’m using managed wordpress on Godaddy. I don’t have access to the things you speak of.

I HAD the duplication problem big time… went back to the old version and deleted a million events… but that isn’t the problem any more.

Also, i commented on other threads of people with the same problems and I was told to start my own thread… but in your instructions you said to go to other threads rather than start my own…

As all versions of PRO have been causing the site grief, I have had to remove it completely.

justeverything
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cinch
    Participant

I am having a similar issue with 3.5.2 – unending load times on the front-end, not able to load on the backend.

I’m currently running this on my local environment, using MAMP. I’ve tested it with the default theme and all other plugins disabled.

Another note, this is an update from version 2.x something…

Brook
    Participant

I wonder if this is related to the amount of events you have? Justeverything, do you know how many events you have on your site? How many of them are recurring? If there is a lot of recurrences ones for some or many events, the fix might be very easy.

Let me give you a explanation of the 3.5 update. In version 3.4 and under recurring events were a single post in the database, with some meta information that indicated when they recurred. In version 3.5 we split them up into multiple posts, one for each event. This allows them to be much more powerful, and will even offer a speed improvement on many sites. Thus, when you update from and prior version to 3.5 we run a script that splits the old single post into multiple posts, one for each recurrence. This script runs when you visit  /wp-admin/. Unfortunately, particularly on slower shared servers with lots of recurring events, this script can take a while to run. PHP will timeout if a script fails to complete after a while. Thus, the script is halted. To resolve this error, in versions 3.5.x of our plugin the script will then pickup where it left off the next time you visit wp-admin.

In short, the possible solution to your problem could be to visit /wp-admin/ after updating to 3.5.2. The browser will try loading the page for a while, eventually you will see an error along the lines of something timing out or not being able to load. Click refresh, and wait for that error again (this could take 30 seconds or a few minutes of waiting). Rinse and repeat the refreshing and waiting. Eventually you will be able to load /wp-admin/. I know this is a bit of a pain, but the truth is you are running a very powerful application (WordPress) and a very powerful plugin on a notoriously slow server/service (GoDaddy).

Howdy Bryan! So the above might help you, but it also might not. Usually MAMP servers are somewhat fast so the above is less likely. It is worth trying the refresh wait steps I support, but that might not help you. You might also try updating to 3.4 and seeing if everything works correctly. All that said, would you mind opening up a new topic after trying those debugging steps, and posting your result + description of the problem. We try and keep topics to one very specific problem, which usually means just one user per topic. That way your specific issue receives our full attention. Thanks!

– Brook

Cinch
    Participant

Okay Brook I’ll start my own thread.

Brook
    Participant

Thanks for doing that Bryan! Since this topic has been inactive for a couple of weeks we are closing it out. If you need anything else in the future please feel free to open a new topic. Thanks!

– Brook

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Latest 3.5.2 still breaking site’ is closed to new replies.