Location Search Not Working

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Location Search Not Working

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    persyst
    Participant

When I type a city like “las vegas” or “oakland” a box pops up with various “las vegas” and “oakland” location, but when I choose, for example “las vegas, nv”, hit SEARCH, nothing happens, but the screen just scrolls up to the top. I do have a Las Vegas, NV event on my calendar so I’m not sure what the problem is. Please help.

Thanks,
    Stefan

Brook
    Participant

Howdy persyst,

That is very strange. I am not seeing that popup for other cities, and they all work fine. Could you try something for me? Would it be possible for you to test if this is one of the customizations to your site that might be conflicting. This guide will help you test if something is conflicting. If something is, it then walks you through identifying what is conflicting. Once we know that we can work towards a fix.

Please let me know if you have any more questions, or if I can help you along the way. Thanks!

– Brook

persyst
    Participant

Hi Brook,

I activated the twenty thirteen theme, and now when I type in “las vegas” in the NEAR box and it gives me the two options “las vegas, NV” or “las vegas, NM”, I can pick “las vegas, NV” and the event pops up correctly on the calendar/map. So how do I resolve this to work with the theme I’m using?

Thanks,
    Stefan

Brook
    Participant

Awesome. We are one giant step closer.

Nothing stands out to me as conflicting in your theme. There are no JS errors in the console, it makes none of the classic mistakes like changing the jQuery version to an outdated one. So that leads us some more conflict testing, but at least we know now which parts of the site our conflicting, the theme + TEC. That narrows it down a lot.

If you are interested in the technical mumbo jumbo: This is likely a JS glitch. Something is stopping the tribe jquery event handler from firing on that popup box, which means the e.preventDefault() is not being called and so the link’s href, a # is firing instead and takes you to the top of the page. OPf course since the TEC script doesnt fire no events are filtered either.

Now to try and isolate what about the theme is conflicting. Do you have file access to your webserver, via FTP or some other means? Are you comfortable modifying theme files a little bit? If so, first step let us try to rename you scripts folder. It looks like ti can be found here “/wp-content/themes/make/js/”. Simple rename the folder ‘js’ to ‘js-bak.’ Now test again, does it work? If so rename it back to ‘js’. Now go inside the js folder and try renaming each file by appending -bak to it, then retesting. You might start with these three files, I would not be surprised if it is one of them:

If renaming JS did not fix, let us try something else. Leave the folder named js-bak for now. Try simple renaming your functions.php file to functions-bak.php. Did that solve it perchance? There is a strong possibility this will generate errors all over your site. So be prepared to rename it back.

Let me know the results if you don’t mind. Thanks persyst!

– Brook

persyst
    Participant

Hi Brook,
    I tried renaming to the folder to js-bak, but still no success when choosing when typing “las vegas” and clicking the “Las Vegas, NV” option that pops ups. It still fires the #. For now I’ve renamed the folder back to “js”. Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Stefan

Brook
    Participant

Thanks for the update Stefan. What happened when you renamed the folder to js-bak and the functions file as well? It is a pain I know, but if you could let me know the result of that it is the only way I can help you narrow it down.

Integrating a theme and plugin is usually done by a developer. It is not always possible without many hours of work. I hope that is not going to be the case here, as they are mostly compatible already. But, just wanted to give you fair warning.

Right now we need to figure out what about the theme is conflicting. If it is not the /js/* files nore anything injected by one of the functions, then we need to expand our search. Start disabling CSS, header files, etc. You will have to hunt down which particular line is causing the problem, then we can fix it. Right now all we know is the theme. Sadly the usual useful tools like the browser console are doing nothing to help narrow this search :-/ . So we are left with a bit of a haystack.

– Brook

persyst
    Participant

No prob. Renaming to js-bak did not seem to do any noticeable change. Renaming to functions-bak.php completely disabled access to the site. I’ll start disabling the files. Do I just do the -bak rename one by one?

Brook
    Participant

Howdy persyst,

Unfortunately it is more complicated than that. Ultimately our goal is to find out what script your theme has loaded on that page, and try disabling them one by one. The issue is scripts can be anywhere, not just the js-folder and you can not always safely rename/remove them in whole. You will likely need to hunt through each line of code looking for areas that include scripts. Try commenting them out or otherwise disabling them, and seeing if it fixes it.

I am sorry for how much of a pain that is. This sort of task is generally done by the theme developer, because they are intimately familiar with the scripts and often have a good idea of where to start. I wish I could point you to a better starting place, but my unfamiliarity with your theme has left me with no further direction.

– Brook

persyst
    Participant

Hi Brook,
    What does script code look like so that I know what to try commenting out?

Brook
    Participant
    persyst
    Participant

Is the function below something that I should try bypassing? If so, where should I put the /** and */?

/**
    * Add items to the top of the wp_head section of the document head.
    * @since 1.0.0.
    * @return void
    */
    function ttfmake_head_early() {
    // JavaScript detection ?>
    <script type=”text/javascript”>
    /* <![CDATA[ */
    document.documentElement.className = document.documentElement.className.replace(new RegExp(‘(^|s)no-js(s|$)’), ‘$1js$2’);
    /* ]]> */
    </script>
    <?php
    }
    endif;

add_action( ‘wp_head’, ‘ttfmake_head_early’, 1 );

if ( ! function_exists( ‘ttfmake_scripts’ ) ) :
    /**
    * Enqueue styles and scripts.
    * @since 1.0.0.
    * @return void
    */

persyst
    Participant

Would the code i lines I’m looking for contain the word “script”?

persyst
    Participant

Hi Brook,
    Does Modern Tribe provide web development? Because I would prefer to hire someone to take care of getting my site running bug free. Please let me know.

Brook
    Participant

Howdy persyst,

I am sorry for my delay in getting back to you. I did not see your topic yesterday when I was doing my responses. 🙁

It sounds to me like you would be interested in a our list of freelancers. We certainly make no money off the referrals or anything. But we keep this on hand for folks like you who want someone to just handle it for them and not worry about working with support. You can obtain this list by emailing [email protected] and requesting it. Many of the folks on that list specialize in small jobs just like this.

In response to your question, yes the scripts will contain the word script. They should all begin with “<script” but after that it is anyone’s guess.

I wish I was able to help you more. But, for JS bugs sometimes it does just make sense to have someone fix it for you. Let me know if there is anything more I can do from a support angle. Cheers!

– Brook

persyst
    Participant

Thanks for the info regarding the programmers. I’ve also communicated with the, The Theme Foundry, creators of the Make theme I’m using on my website.

Is there anything you can tell me with regards to they’re reply to me shown below?

“I cannot identify anyway that Make is breaking the Events Calendar. What I think is happening is that the function that is supposed to be attached to the click event is not firing.

The event is essentially defined as:

$('#tribe-events').on('click', '.tribe-geo-option-link',function (e) {}

The problem that I am seeing is that no #tribe-events element is present on the page. In other words, this function is being defined for not existent elements that are then not attaching to the correct event.

There are two possible explanations for this:

1. There is a bug in the Event Calendar code that is causing this to happen. I can’t really help much here because I’m really unfamiliar with the code base.
    2. Depending on how you are setting up your page, it is possible that Make is stripping some markup that is essential to the functioning of the plugin.

To get a better understanding of #2, can you explain how you’ve set up this page? Perhaps you could even just send me a screenshot of the edit page screen so I can see how it is set up.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Location Search Not Working’ is closed to new replies.