Merging list and week views

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Merging list and week views

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    jorditost
    Participant

Hi,
    I need to wrap my list to only show the events in a given week. The list should also have a header for each day, like this:

Wed. 26 July 2014
    – Event 1
    – Event 2

Thu. 27 July 2014
    – Event 1
    – Event 2

And at the end, “Previous Week” and “Next Week” buttons are also needed. The same would I need for the months. A page showing the events for a given month (as a list) and at the end “Previous Month” and “Next Month” buttons.

Would it be possible? I looked for a tutorial or other post but didn’t find anything.

Thanks for your help!

jorditost
    Participant

Hi, could overwrite the week and month templates and show the events in a list with AJAX loading when navigating. Although the month view works fine, I have though 2 problems with the week view:
    1. When a day has more than one event. The first event is shown repeated. For example, if I have 3 events in a day, the first event is listed 3 times. I think here the problem is the “tribe_events_week_get_hourly()” function. There is no function that retrieves all events for a week day?
    2. The AJAX navigation is not working well. When I click to “Next Week” or “Previous Week”, the events list is loaded well, but no event information is retreaved. That means, if a day has 3 events, I get 3 list elements but the_title() or other WordPress template functions are not working.

Anyone can helps to solve it?

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi,

I maybe to help a little, but ultimately a customization like this will have to be done by you.

Do you have a link to a dev site I can look at to see everything that is going on. It is hard to tell what the issues are like this.

I do have two comments, with you changing the templates as they are ajax may not work correctly without doing a bigger rewrite of it.

Also, from the amount of changes you would like to make it maybe better to follow out Agenda View Tutorial to make your own view and not customize this templates as much.

https://github.com/moderntribe/tribe-events-agenda-view

Let me know if you have that link and I can look into this further for you.

Thanks

jorditost
    Participant

Hi Brian,
    Thanks for your response. Here you can see the events page with the my “week” view:
    http://contemporaryfoodlab.com/test/en/events/
    I understand this is a deep customization. I would appreciate some help with the (right) template tags and a better understanding of them (specially the “week ones”), since in the docs they are not so deep explained.
    Thanks again!

Brian
    Keymaster

It is hard to say of what all the template tags you would need to know to get this to work nor is our forum a good place to make these explanations or even the purpose of the support forum beyond a hint or some help on specific points. The best I can do is if you can send me the coding or a link to it is pastebin. I can take a quick look and see if I can point something out, but I can make no promises to fixing it.

Please let me know what you would like to do.

Thanks

jorditost
    Participant

Hi Brian,
    I checked the Agenda View Plugin and the video tutorial and unfortunately it doesn’t give any clear instruction about how to set up a view. Which functions / hooks are necessary to register a new view, for example?
    I think that there is a lack of information in the documentation and resources about template tags, etc. More information and examples (and maybe in a text tutorial and not a video tutorial) would be great for developers working with your plugin and extensions. At least for them who purchased the PRO extension (like me).
    I think the forum is a good place to discuss it, since it may help other people working with the plugin. Maybe a section for developers would be a good idea.
    I’m preparing a GitHub repository with my code.
    Thanks for your time!
    Jordi

jorditost
    Participant

Hi again Brian,
    Here a link to the repo:
    https://github.com/jorditost/week-list-view
    I couldn’t manage to create the view from scratch using the Agenda View example, so this should be placed inside the theme’s tribe-events folder.
    Thanks in advance for our support!
    Jordi

Brian
    Keymaster

I took a look at your coding, but I do not know what I could tell you, it has a lot of customizations and I cannot provide that level of support on customizations.

I am trying to provide as much support as I can, but per our terms of service our forums are for support and although we try to give hints and a step or two in customization ultimately it is up to you to get it to work.

The agenda view does a good job of outlining how to add a new view and I would start by renaming agenda to your new view and then working to add a piece at a time.

https://github.com/moderntribe/tribe-events-agenda-view

Another resource we have is the documentation of all our hooks, functions, filters, etc and that can be found here:

http://docs.tri.be/

I will put in request for updated tutorials, but as for these customization I think you are going to have to take it from here.

jorditost
    Participant

This reply is private.

Rob

Hey Jordi! Rob from Modern Tribe here – I head up our support team, and this thread was brought to my attention today after Brian noticed that it seems like you’re hitting a wall with our support as provided here on the forums. Naturally I wanted to jump in here to both apologize for the poor experience and to shed some light on our support process.

Right off the bat, let me extend my apologies on behalf of the whole team for failing to live up to your expectations. It’s clear that we failed to properly set those expectations from the offset as to what we can and cannot support here, and I take full responsibility for that. I also agree wholeheartedly with you that we could do better in terms of our documentation and are actively taking steps towards that in the form of our new website, as Leah mentioned in her email. This documentation comment is a concern we’ve heard from the community for a while now and is something we’re actively working to improve. I expect the new site to wrap up in the fall and from what we’ve seen so far it presents the documentation and tutorial information in a much more user friendly format. Until then folks are going to need to rely on the existing documentation at docs.tri.be, along with the tutorials and the content here on the forums.

If that timeline isn’t aggressive enough for you, please do know that the offer for a refund is on the table here. While it’d suck to lose you as a customer, I want to do right by you – even if that means giving you back your money so you can use it to buy a plugin with documentation and a support infrastructure that is more to your liking. But ultimately, by our definitions of how we handle support, your second request falls into the realm of “customization.” While I do appreciate you referencing the terms (since it’s a sign that you read them!), I think there may be some confusion – as I’m not sure this falls into the category of: “I understand the plugin is capable of a certain feature but need help figuring out how to use it.” Creating a merged list-and-week view is not a feature the plugin is capable of out of the box – it’s something you could build, definitely, though is not a feature we claim to offer. (If there’s a document somewhere that suggests otherwise, or indicates that our support team will provide the guidance needed to create new views, please let me know…since I’d like to get that updated and accurate to spare others your disappointment in the future). Our goal with putting the agenda view example out there was to give users an idea that might point them in the right direction…but not to suggest “we’ll work with you one-on-one to create your own view,” since such a hands-on support involvement would obviously require us to charge more than $65 for the plugin.

The reality is that we can’t build customer sites or customize integrations for them. Our rationale here is this: we personally help hundreds of customers per day. We do this because we love it. We do this because we want a sustainable way to share our good work. When you use our code, you are getting literally hundreds of thousands of dollars of development for $65. You have all the pieces to a website puzzle and all you need is someone to connect them. But that $65 doesn’t buy you a developer, it buys you user support. If we can point someone in the right direction or get them an answer in 15-20 minutes of research, we absolutely will do so. And after checking with the team regarding this specific case – creating a new view from scratch unfortunately does not fall inside that window.

I see that Brian has indicated that there were limits to how far we can go on this thread, pretty much since the offset of his first reply here. It looks like you have made significant changes to week view via your custom week view templates … but PRO (in particular our JS) will not be expecting that. Beyond that, for such sweeping changes you’d ultimately need to implement your own view ala Agenda view and set up your own JS, etc, if needed. I realize that this point there is some confusion surrounding what’s in the existing Agenda view but unfortunately, currently that is the best example we have of setting up a custom view. I agree that it’s documentation could be better and you should know that the team is working to make that better. Beyond that I’m not sure I could comment to a specific timetable, and as a result, I’m not convinced there’s much else we can do beyond direct you to a freelance developer who might be able to dedicate more time/resources to helping you out.

I hope this helps shed some light on our processes…if any questions arose when reading it, definitely feel free to shoot me a note back. As I mentioned earlier we really do appreciate your feedback, as it helps us improve the plugin in ways that better serve the whole community.

jorditost
    Participant

Hi Rob,
    Thanks for your reply! I appreciate your support. Sorry if I sounded kind of upset in my last comment. I don’t want a refund of your plugin. I find it pretty good and the very best option between alls plugins and for my needs.
    I think I couldn’t express myself the right way in my first post, since in my the title I suggest merging the list and week views, what according to your terms would be a customization. Because of this and following Brian’s suggestions, I took a look to your Agenda View tutorial and the docs (I already did that before asking here). In one hand, I expected more information in the tutorial about how to build a new view, like which functions, template tags, hooks or filters do I need to register the new view, etc. In another hand, I could only find in the docs the list of parameters of each function and the return values but no information about how to use them or further information about what is doing it. Because of this, I tried to “reformulate” my question in this thread.
    As I explained before, I need a week view that lists all posts and not show them like in a calendar grid. In terms of template tags, I have to use the same functions to retrieve the posts, but I somehow, this functions in the loop are not working as I expect, and I in the docs I cannot find the answer about how they work, what do they need to work and what will they provide me. I know I need a customization and I will implement it, I don’t want a hands-on support from you and code it for me, but at least some more information about the functions and template tags I am using. For example, I am using this functions:
    tribe_events_week_set_loop_type( ‘hourly’ );
    tribe_events_week_get_hourly()
    But the loop is not working properly. My support question there is, what is concretely doing the tribe_events_week_set_loop_type( ‘hourly’ ) function and what does it mean for the loop, and what will tribe_events_week_get_hourly() return?
    I would really appreciate just some more information about the function. The rest I’ll do myself 😉
    Thanks again!

Rob

Hi Jordi! Thanks for the follow-up here, and my apologies for missing it when you first posted last week. (Brian brought it to my attention but I forgot to come in and get you a reply on Friday). I’m sorry about that.

Your summary/explanation here is really appreciated, though, and helps us understand what it is you’re going for. Totally glad to hear you aren’t going the refund route as well at this time…that’s always a good sign since it shows me someone is interested in working with us to get their issue resolved.

This renewed focus on your request here makes perfect sense and gives us what we need to proceed. I think Brian should have no problem explaining the impact those functions have on the loop. If he’s unable to, we’ll rope in another colleague who can. Hopefully that’ll help point you in the right direction.

Expect a reply shortly here…and if you aren’t happy with the quality of the reply, just hit me up privately and I’ll follow-up as needed. Thanks again for your follow-up and patience so far.

jorditost
    Participant

Hi Rob, thanks for your reply! I’m glad you like my new focus. I also hope point it with your help in the right direction. After doing it and if you want it, I can give you the source code of the new view. Maybe there are some other users that could reuse it.

Brian
    Keymaster

Jordi,

I asked one of your developers to give a idea of what the coding does for each function. Please see his response in italics under your questions.

what is concretely doing the tribe_events_week_set_loop_type( ‘hourly’ ) function and what does it mean for the loop

week view differentiates between all day events (in our default week view they display at the top of the grid) and hourly events, this is just a convenience function to switch between those two sets

Function is in:
    \events-calendar-pro\public\template-tags\week.php

and what will tribe_events_week_get_hourly() return?

if everything is in place it should return an array of post objects

Function is in:
    \events-calendar-pro\public\template-tags\week.php

Both of those function reference get_events() function which is a PHP class in this file:
    \events-calendar-pro\lib\template-classes\week.php

That class is responsible for returning the events.

Please look at that over and let us know if you would like anything else.

Thanks

jorditost
    Participant

Hi Brian,
    Sorry for my late reply. It took me a while to figure it out how to solve it and to finish the project.
    Thanks for your response. The notices from the developer helped but it didn’t give much extra information. In fact, I could take this conclusions digging into the source code.
    Fortunately, I could solve my problem. I just forgot to use a single line of code in the loop to load the event information.

$event = tribe_events_week_get_event(); 

Now it only returns the hourly events, since it is not possible to set the loop to return both, but for me is enough since I don’t need all-day events in my site.
    When I have more time I’ll try to do it the proper way and create a new view from scratch. I hope till then is the new documentation site online and I’ll be glad to share this code with you so as more people with the same needs can use it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Merging list and week views’ is closed to new replies.