Multiple instances of the same event (hundreds!)

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Multiple instances of the same event (hundreds!)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas
    Participant

Hello! I have a client site who’s event page is running very slowly because of the over 200K event entries. I noticed that there is one event that has many, many instances. Its an event that I believe at one time was recurring and perhaps deleted, but there are hundreds of instances of this event with the same date. Is there a way to bulk delete these?

Additionally, when I click “Edit All” it simply refreshes the page to the main list of events.

I tried to provide a link to the event, but when I click “view”, there is nothing found:
    http://kingswaychurch.tv/event/2016-04-17/

thanks!

Geoff

Hi there, Nicholas! Sorry you’re running into some trouble here but let’s see if we can tackle it here together. πŸ™‚

As a first step, are you able to install the latest versions of both The Events Calendar and The Events Calendar Pro (3.8.1)? There have been some updates to recurring events since 3.7 that could help clean this up.

Next, let’s try cleaning up those duplicated events. It sounds like they’re getting in the way of one another and trying to claim the same slug. Will you please try installing and running the cleanup plugin that is linked in this post? It specifically targets duplicated recurring events.

A last resort would be to clean the events data altogether. There’s a third-party plugin called Event Rocket (not supported by us) that does just that. It’s a nuclear option though, so let’s give the first steps a go and see where that gets us.

Cheers!
    Geoff

Nicholas
    Participant

Thanks Geoff! I’ve upgraded to the current version of the plugin and tried the cleanup plugin you mentioned. I’ve tried to “Merge Duplicate Recurring Events” 3 times and each time the site times out after about 5 minutes. Should I move onto the Event Rocket solution? Will that effect all the current events that I don’t want changed?

Geoff

Awesome job so far! Thanks so much for going through the first two tries. πŸ™‚

Let’s keep the cleanup plugin going. It can take up to several tries, especially when dealing with this many events. It’s working even though you get the timeout.Β It’s a pain, for sure, but persevere a little longer because it will take a while and may need to be restarted quite a few times with so many events.

If you feel the time that the cleanup plugin takes will outweigh recreating event data after wiping things clear with Event Rocket, then you may want to make a judgement call there. If you do go that route, I’d strongly suggest backing up your database just in case you need to restore the data.

Geoff

Nicholas
    Participant

Thanks Geoff
    I certainly don’t want to go nuclear and delete all posts entirely. Here’s where I’m at:
    I’ve tried the Merge Duplicate Recurring Events method several times. Each time it waits about 10 minutes, times out, but it does delete a small number of posts ( around 100). Is this normal?

Its still not clear to me why there are so many duplicates of these events. My client has assured me they would not have created them, and I can’t imagine why they would. Is there any backend method to delete these posts (all with the same title) from the database? Or another method that would be more effective?

Thanks!

Geoff

Hey there, Nicholas! Thanks for rocking this one so far. You’re doing everything right so far–and a good job at that. πŸ™‚

Yes, that amount of time is normal. I know it’s rough, but it sounds like we’re dealing with a large number of events. The good news is that it sounds like it’s doing it’s job. If you can persevere, I do think this method requires the least amount of lifting.

I would imagine there is a back-end way to do it as well on the database level. However, I believe you would still need to comb through the tables manually. I’m unaware of a silver bullet that would clean up that many duplicates, without cleaning the entire database using the Event Rocket plugin.

Cheers!
    Geoff

Geoff

Hey there, Nicholas!Β It’s been a while so I’m going to go ahead and close this thread. If we can help with anything else, though, please don’t hesitate to open a new thread. We’d be happy to help. πŸ™‚

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Multiple instances of the same event (hundreds!)’ is closed to new replies.