near by / geolocation, Show only the first instance…shows last instance…

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO near by / geolocation, Show only the first instance…shows last instance…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jrtoy4311
    Participant

1.) is there a way to populate a users location based on where device is and make a url:
    http://www.wcsaddict.com/events/upcoming/?action=tribe_list&tribe_paged=1&tribe-bar-geoloc-lat=35.8409242&tribe-bar-geoloc-lng=-78.6228504&tribe-bar-geoloc=27609
    I see you have a consistent format, any way to do this…maybe another plugin I can purchase..haha, that lets me find events nearby with a single click.

2.) I have repeating events and show only first instance clicked, except it shows the last instance in them. I have 3 repeating events, 2 of 3 are showing last events.

Barry

Hi – great questions!

1.) is there a way to populate a users location based on where device is and make a url: … I see you have a consistent format, any way to do this…maybe another plugin I can purchase..haha, that lets me find events nearby with a single click.

That’s an interesting idea and I’m sure you could explore something like this. No specific plugins come to mind but there are definitely tools out there on which you could build something like this.

2.) I have repeating events and show only first instance clicked, except it shows the last instance in them. I have 3 repeating events, 2 of 3 are showing last events.

I visited your site but I couldn’t immediately locate an example of this problem – could you steer me in the right direction, there?

As a sidenote, the view of the current week’s events that you built on your frontpage looks fantastic – was that something you implemented yourself?

jrtoy4311
    Participant

Hey Barry;

Current weeks events shout out goes to http://boxystudio.com/ with their espresso theme.

1.) Damn that’s no easy solution…I know just enough to be dangerous. +1 plug for a geolocation plugin 🙂

2.) Ok here are some links
    Shows only one recurring event correctly:
    http://www.wcsaddict.com/events/
    Recurring events:
    http://www.wcsaddict.com/event/tuesday-west-coast-swing-night-lynns/2014-08-26/
    http://www.wcsaddict.com/event/every-sunday-swings/2014-08-24/
    http://www.wcsaddict.com/event/monday-night-west-coast-swing-lessons/2014-08-25/

List view: only shows monday west coast swing correctly
    Map view: shows last instance of events set out (November)
    Photo view: only shows monday west coast swing correctly

if a location search:
    http://www.wcsaddict.com/events/photo/?action=tribe_photo&tribe_paged=1&tribe_event_display=photo&tribe-bar-geoloc-lat=35.2413572&tribe-bar-geoloc-lng=-80.71035319999999&tribe-bar-geoloc=28215
    shows lasts instance…

Let me know if you need anything else.

Barry

That is strange. You already indicated having run through our standard troubleshooting steps which is awesome – thanks for giving them a try:

YES, I’ve deactivated all other plugins to check for a plugin conflict.
    YES, I’ve reverted to the 2011 default WordPress theme (with other plugins still deactivated) to check for a theme conflict.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, can you confirm that they made no impact (or let me know if they helped you to discover a conflict here)?

jrtoy4311
    Participant

yep used the standard theme, still same issue, yes disabled plugins, same issue…

jrtoy4311
    Participant

on a side note i created this nifty javascript to do geolocation using HTML5:

<script type=”text/javascript”>
    function showLocation(position) {
    var latitude = position.coords.latitude;
    var longitude = position.coords.longitude;
    window.location.href =”http://www.wcsaddict.com/events/?action=tribe_list&tribe_paged=1&tribe-bar-geoloc-lat=”+ position.coords.latitude +”&tribe-bar-geoloc-lng=”+ position.coords.longitude;
    }

function errorHandler(err) {
    if(err.code == 1) {
    alert(“Error: Access is denied!”);
    }else if( err.code == 2) {
    alert(“Error: Position is unavailable!”);
    }
    }
    function getLocation(){

if(navigator.geolocation){
    // timeout at 60000 milliseconds (60 seconds)
    var options = {timeout:60000};
    navigator.geolocation.getCurrentPosition(showLocation,
    errorHandler,
    options);
    }else{
    alert(“Sorry, browser does not support geolocation!”);
    }
    }
    getLocation()
    </script>

now I have to figure out how to activate it using a navigation title…but it could def be something other users can have! I see a lot of chatting about this in the forums.

Barry

Thanks for sharing the code, hopefully that will indeed help some fellow users 🙂

Re the problem at hand, I notice you are using a caching plugin (looks like WP Super Cache). When you ran through those troubleshooting steps did you follow the plugin author’s instructions on completing removing the cache?

The reason I ask is that merely deactivating a caching plugin does not guarantee caching will cease immediately – so you may have run through those steps but be looking at side effects of caching. It’s important that the .htaccess file is restored to normal and that additional files added to the wp-content directory are also removed, amongst other things.

Can you confirm you did that, or else do so now (you may need to check in with the author of your particular caching plugin for full details of this).

Thanks!

jrtoy4311
    Participant

yeppers everything deactivated and cleared cache, etc. There are no active plugins and still having same issue on recurring events.

Barry

Would it be possible for you to share a database dump? Tools like phpMyAdmin provide export facilities and that might allow me to see and replicate this issue.

Though you cannot upload files here directly you could either upload the dump to your existing site or else to a service like Dropbox and share the URL (via a private reply if you prefer).

Is that possible here?

Thanks!

jrtoy4311
    Participant
    Barry

Thank you – that’s a great help and I can now replicate this locally. Bear with us a little longer while we dig into this one.

One question I did have after an initial poke around the database: for all of the recurring events that are impacted in this way – were they all imported from Facebook?

jrtoy4311
    Participant

initially facebook, I’ve since then tested and added my own manually, it’s 50/50 some show up properly some do not. Consistently though, anytime I search in the “near” field those never show up, and it’s always a random date, some in the middle of recurring date, some show only the last…

let me know if you need anything else…

Barry

Thanks – I think in retrospect that may indeed have been a false lead.

We’re actively looking into this, though – and I’ll keep you posted as things progress 🙂

Barry

We’ve been working on this and we’re hopeful we’ll have a fix available in our very next release – which is just in the final stages of preparation. So, if you can hold on a little longer and barring any unforeseen technicalities, a fix will be with you soon 🙂

Leah

Hi there,

I just wanted to let you know that we were able to work on this issue for our upcoming 3.8 release. Keep an eye out on your site for an update announcement! If you update and are still seeing this problem, please post a new thread so we can check it out. Thank you for your patience while we got this fix in place.

Best,
    Leah
    and the team at Modern Tribe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘near by / geolocation, Show only the first instance…shows last instance…’ is closed to new replies.