Ongoing iCal & Events Pro Issue

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Ongoing iCal & Events Pro Issue

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Darci Anderson
    Participant

Awesome Tribe Support,

Brook or other team member, I’m posting on behalf of our mobile app developer what we’re having difficulty with:

Hello, my name is Brock, and I am working with Heritage Church to try to get their iCal feed to give us the correct info.

The original problem was that when exporting to an iCal feed, we could only retrieve 1 month at a time. Brook, from support, suggested we increase the number of items that appear in the List view and then use that feed so that we are receiving more than 1 month’s worth of events at a time. This looked like it was going to solve our problem, but we need to import our Tri.be feed into Google Calendar, and these iCal feeds created by the List view do not import into Google Calendar. The feeds created using the Month view do, but then we are back to being restricted to 1 month at a time.

Could these List feeds be fixed so that they either A. they are compatible with Google Calendar. or B. they abide by the RFC 5545 iCal standard (specifically where timezones are concerned) so that we don’t have to use Google Calendar as an intermediary to fix this.

Please advise.

Thanks so much!
    Brock Glaze

Thank you for looking into this, hopefully we can nail this down before the end of the week. Thank you in advance,

Adrian

Josh
    Participant

Hello Brock & Adrian,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

I just tried importing the .ics file generated from the list view into my Google Calendar and it worked great. To be clear, you’re using the feed generated from “Export Listed Events” button at the bottom of the calendar in list view? Do you mind sending me the code used within customization you made to extend the number of events displayed within this feed? I can then check to see if that is contributing to the issue.

As far as your final point about RFC 5545 iCal standard, I’m looping in one of our developers on this one since they would be able to give you a much better response than I could.

I’m sorry I wasn’t able to give you a direct response however I hope this was able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks!

Darci Anderson
    Participant

Hello Brook,

Received this back from our app developer:

Thanks, Adrian.

I am indeed using the iCal feed that Josh from Tri.be is referring to. Just so he knows that the feed we are using is the same, here is the URL we are using that is generated by the “‘Export Listed Events’ button at the bottom of the calendar in list view”: http://www.heritageqc.com/events/category/rock_island/upcoming?ical=1&tribe_display=list
    In order to help them understand that there is a problem, I ran the feed through an iCal validator that created a report. Here is a link to that report for the failed iCal validation concerning this feed: http://icalvalid.cloudapp.net/?mode=snippet&uri=&id=_635455322251464238&progress=0
    I also attached a screenshot of the front page of this report. The plain text explanation by the validation is as follows: “This calendar has severe problems; very few (if any) applications will accept this calendar.” And there were 52 errors within the feed. Warnings are passable, but Errors will break an import almost assuredly in some way.

I have also attached the raw iCal feed that was used to create this report, just in case the calendar changes before they are able to look at the feed (this is so they can look at the EXACT feed that was used in this attempted validation).

You are welcome to forward this info on to them. And feel free to give them my email address ([email protected] OR [email protected]) so that they can contact me directly if they would like any help from my end.

You could always create a Google Calendar and begin adding your events there to import into your app. It would be a pain to have to maintain these in two places, but at the moment this is the only suggestion I have to be able to get up and running soon.

Let me know any thoughts you may have.

Thanks!

Brock Glaze
    Bluebridge Customer Success

Please email [email protected] when you have support questions!

Josh
    Participant

Hello Adrian,

I’ve logged this information into the bug ticket and it is now in the queue for the developers to look into for an upcoming release.

I’ve tried pulling feeds from throughout the different sections of your site and am having consistent problems with importing events into Google Calendar. However, I’m unable to reproduce these errors when generating export files from my local site. Have you tried following the Testing for Conflict procedures and disabled all plugins and reset to a default theme to see if there is a conflict?

I’m sorry I wasn’t able to give you a direct response however I hope this was able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks!

Darci Anderson
    Participant

I’ve forwarded your input to our app developer. We will be working this on our end. I’m really at a loss and can’t see how to fix this. However, I received a couple of suggestions to this issue.
    1. does events pro offer an rss feed from the calendar say to be read by a browser?
    2. does events pro offer an ical feed for more than one month at a time?
    Hopefully either of the above may or may not fix our issue, but seems, to me, like a good place to finalize this ongoing issue of ours.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Adrian

Josh
    Participant

Hello heritagechurch,

Thanks for following up with us!

1. Definitely! you can add “/rss” to the end of the URL to your events page to access the main RSS feed for your events.
    2. For this one, I would echo what Brook mentioned in your previous post about increasing the number of events that display within the list view to include multiple months of events and then using the export link.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks!

Leah

Hi there,

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. We weren’t able to get to it for our upcoming 3.8 release, but it is still very much on the radar. We hope to have it fixed in an upcoming release, and we will do our best to keep you posted on our progress. Thanks for your patience and support!

Best,
    Leah
    and the team at Modern Tribe

Leah

Hi there,

Thank you for your support and patience while we worked on this issue. We are happy announce that we have incorporated a fix into our upcoming 3.10 release. Keep an eye out for a release announcement on our site and for updates available on your WordPress dashboard.

While we have thoroughly tested this release and are confident of its quality, it is impossible to account for every edge case in the wide world of WordPress. If you run into trouble with the new version or you don’t see your reported issue corrected, please start a new thread and we will be happy to work with you.

Thanks again for your patience here. We’re excited to get this version out the door and into your hands!

Best,
    The Events Calendar Team

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Ongoing iCal & Events Pro Issue’ is closed to new replies.