Problems with French translation

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Problems with French translation

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    immeemz
    Participant

Hello! The problems with the French translation are not so much the actual translation, where it would be easy to change the po/mo files, but with the dates are displayed. In the Event List widget, it displays it like this:
    juin 7
    However, it should be:
    7 juin
    The month before the date is not done EVER in French, unlike English where there is some variation especially between US and UK. So while in English it might be acceptable to have either one or the other, in French it’s just incorrect.

In the Agenda, it says this:
    Samedi, juin 7th 2014 8:30
    Obviously, aside from the month and date being backwards again, the “th” is not any part of French, that’s something derived from English, so it needs to go. Also, for the time, it is using : to separate the hours and minutes (8:30), and it should be an “h” in French (8h30). My WP settings are set to follow this format but the Agenda is not respecting that. It needs to be:
    Samedi le 7 juin, 2014 – 8h30
    The Agenda is also using this format for the heading: “Agenda starting Saturday, April 5th 2014” and here it’s not even translated at all.

On the pages for the individual events, and also the List page, again it says “mai 10” instead of “10 mai”.

For the Weekly view, the days and dates aren’t translated at all, it still says the following “SUN 30TH MON 31ST TUE 1ST WED 2ND THU 3RD FRI 4TH SAT 5TH” – totally in English, no attempt made at translation at all. (Plus “Next Week” and “Previous Week”). For this last issue, the strings are actually in the .po file and have translations, but in the .po file it is “Next Week »”, whereas in week.php on line 271 it is actually “Next Week <span>»</span>”…so this might be why it’s not being translated.

I specifically purchased this plugin for the French translation. While I don’t mind editing the .po files, these errors appear to be in the coding and I need them to be fixed. Thank you!

Again, none of these are

Leah

Hi immeemz,

Thanks for getting in touch. We are working on improving our plugin to make it more international-friendly, and this kind of feedback is very helpful.

In the Event List widget, it displays it like this:
    juin 7
    However, it should be:
    7 juin
    The month before the date is not done EVER in French, unlike English where there is some variation especially between US and UK. So while in English it might be acceptable to have either one or the other, in French it’s just incorrect.

At this time, the date format you set in your WordPress Settings does not apply to every aspect of your calendar. That’s why you’re still seeing the US date format in your widgets and views. We are working on improving this, but I don’t have a solution for you at this time.

Also, for the time, it is using : to separate the hours and minutes (8:30), and it should be an “h” in French (8h30). My WP settings are set to follow this format but the Agenda is not respecting that. It needs to be:
    Samedi le 7 juin, 2014 – 8h30

I would like to look into this issue you reported with the time format not obeying your setting. Can you tell me what custom time format you’re using, and where exactly you are seeing it not working? Is it working anywhere on the site?

The Agenda is also using this format for the heading: “Agenda starting Saturday, April 5th 2014″ and here it’s not even translated at all.

Some elements of the calendar, such as days of the week and month names, are translated by WordPress itself and not via our plugin translations. This means that if you do not have the WordPress translation files loaded for your language you will see some untranslated words in your calendar, even with your language set in wp-config. To fix this, you’ll need to download and install WordPress for your language. Then the headings should be fully translated- although unforunately as I discussed above, the date format will still be US style.

For the Weekly view, the days and dates aren’t translated at all, it still says the following “SUN 30TH MON 31ST TUE 1ST WED 2ND THU 3RD FRI 4TH SAT 5TH” – totally in English, no attempt made at translation at all.

This part is hard-coded into the plugin. We are working on making this more flexible for non-US users, but at this time there isn’t a way to change it.

(Plus “Next Week” and “Previous Week”). For this last issue, the strings are actually in the .po file and have translations, but in the .po file it is “Next Week »”, whereas in week.php on line 271 it is actually “Next Week <span>»</span>”…so this might be why it’s not being translated.

These are showing in English because the string changes in our latest release. If you go into the .po files and add that

<span>»</span>

code into the translation and save it, those should work. I’d be happy to help with that if you need it.

I apologize that our plugins are not yet 100% international friendly. Thank you again for your feedback, and for your patience while we work on these issues.

Best,
    Leah

immeemz
    Participant

Thank you for your response Leah! In order to be able to finish this site and present it to my client on deadline I will need to make these changes myself, including the stuff that is hard-coded, etc. Will these fixes be incorporated into the **very next** update? I ask because if they are not, then I will have to re-do them every single time I update the plugin. I can’t launch the site with problems like this, and I would be surprised if anyone else who is using this on a non-English site would want to do the same. Thank you!

Here are the answers to the questions you asked:

———————————–
    Also, for the time, it is using : to separate the hours and minutes (8:30), and it should be an “h” in French (8h30). My WP settings are set to follow this format but the Agenda is not respecting that. It needs to be: Samedi le 7 juin, 2014 – 8h30

I would like to look into this issue you reported with the time format not obeying your setting. Can you tell me what custom time format you’re using, and where exactly you are seeing it not working? Is it working anywhere on the site?
    ————————————
    Yes, it works everywhere on the site EXCEPT the Agenda.

————————————
    The Agenda is also using this format for the heading: “Agenda starting Saturday, April 5th 2014″ and here it’s not even translated at all.

Some elements of the calendar, such as days of the week and month names, are translated by WordPress itself and not via our plugin translations. This means that if you do not have the WordPress translation files loaded for your language you will see some untranslated words in your calendar, even with your language set in wp-config. To fix this, you’ll need to download and install WordPress for your language. Then the headings should be fully translated- although unforunately as I discussed above, the date format will still be US style.
    ————————————
    I DID download and install WordPress in French. Direct from http://fr.wordpress.org/.

Leah

Hi immeemz,

Will these fixes be incorporated into the **very next** update? I ask because if they are not, then I will have to re-do them every single time I update the plugin.

We do not have these fixes planned for the next update, so I can’t guarantee that. However, you can use template overrides to prevent your changes from getting lost each time you update the plugin. That way you can do the hard coding you need.

Also, for the time, it is using : to separate the hours and minutes (8:30), and it should be an “h” in French (8h30). My WP settings are set to follow this format but the Agenda is not respecting that. It needs to be: Samedi le 7 juin, 2014 – 8h30

Can you tell me what time format setting you are using to get that style (8h30)? I read over the Codex page about time formats but I couldn’t see one that would do that. Can you give me the code you’re using, or send a screenshot of your time format settings?

When you say the Agenda, do you mean what in English is called Week View? (Like this). Or something else?

The Agenda is also using this format for the heading: “Agenda starting Saturday, April 5th 2014″ and here it’s not even translated at all. I DID download and install WordPress in French. Direct from http://fr.wordpress.org/.

I downloaded the French WordPress files as well, and they are translating the months and days of the week. (For example here). Can you show me a screenshot of where you’re seeing it not translated?

Best,

Leah

immeemz
    Participant

Hello:

————————————
    ——–
    Can you tell me what time format setting you are using to get that style (8h30)? I read over the Codex page about time formats but I couldn’t see one that would do that. Can you give me the code you’re using, or send a screenshot of your time format settings?
    ————————————
    Yes, it’s this: G \h i Pretty standard.

————————————
    ——–
    When you say the Agenda, do you mean what in English is called Week View? (Like this). Or something else?
    ——–
    The Agenda is also using this format for the heading: “Agenda starting Saturday, April 5th 2014″ and here it’s not even translated at all. I DID download and install WordPress in French. Direct from http://fr.wordpress.org/.
    ——–
    I downloaded the French WordPress files as well, and they are translating the months and days of the week. (For example here). Can you show me a screenshot of where you’re seeing it not translated?
    ————————————
    The Agenda view: https://github.com/moderntribe/tribe-events-agenda-view
    Screenshot: http://mimicummins.com/clients/cat/agenda.jpg

I am trying to find where I can change the date format (where it says juin 7 instead of 7 juin…pretty much everywhere the date is displayed). I can’t seem to track this down in your code. I NEED THIS to be fixed before I can launch this site. Thank you!

immeemz
    Participant

Sorry, I just realized I was unclear. I said:

“I am trying to find where I can change the date format (where it says juin 7 instead of 7 juin…pretty much everywhere the date is displayed). I can’t seem to track this down in your code. I NEED THIS to be fixed before I can launch this site. Thank you!”

To be perfectly clear, please send me the file(s) to change and which lines in those files. This is turning out to be URGENT, I have a pissed-off client. Thank you!!!

immeemz
    Participant

In the interest of helping you resolve this rapidly, I have done some sleuthing for you:

Screenshots:
    Admin General Settings > Date format as specified:
    http://mimicummins.com/clients/cat/settings.jpg

Places where Events Calendar Pro does not respect the date format specified:
    List view: http://mimicummins.com/clients/cat/list-view.jpg
    Photo view: http://mimicummins.com/clients/cat/photo-view.jpg
    Single Event: http://mimicummins.com/clients/cat/single-event.jpg

Places where the date format IS **CORRECTLY** displayed:
    Single Event under “Details”: http://mimicummins.com/clients/cat/single-event.jpg
    Month View, tooltip: http://mimicummins.com/clients/cat/month-view.jpg
    Community Events, “My Events” list: http://mimicummins.com/clients/cat/community-list.jpg

Thank you for your ULTRA SUPER RAPID fix for this!!!

Leah

Hi immeemz,

Thanks for all the information, that really helped. I didn’t realize that you were using the example view plugin that gives you Agenda View, but once you sent me the link I understood. Unfortunately, since that is not part of Events Calendar PRO, we are not able to support it. I suspect that part of the problem is that the Agenda View doesn’t have any translations. However, since it’s on github you could submit translations or suggestions that way.

Is your G \h i time setting working in any part of The Events Calendar? I believe that setting only works if you have the French WordPress files installed (not just the translation files, but the actual WordPress files) which is why I haven’t been able to recreate it. It would help me if you could tell me where in The Events Calendar and Events Calendar that is and is not respected. As I said before, I can’t help with the Agenda View format.

We are working on a solution for the date format issue so that you can easily display dates in the French format. It may even be available sooner that I thought, but certainly not before our next release. If you need to change the date formats now, you can dig into the PHP date format. Thanks for your patience while we get a built-in solution made.

Best,

Leah

immeemz
    Participant

Hi Leah! You’ve probably seen this by now, but in my very latest post I did indeed answer this question, with all my screenshots I provided you: “Is your G \h i time setting working in any part of The Events Calendar? …. It would help me if you could tell me where in The Events Calendar and Events Calendar that is and is not respected.”

I have the French version of WP installed, not a translation (not WPML or other).

As for this: “We are working on a solution for the date format issue so that you can easily display dates in the French format. It may even be available sooner that I thought, but certainly not before our next release. If you need to change the date formats now, you can dig into the PHP date format.” I understand PHP date format…my problem is that I am unable to locate where I need to play with this in your plugin files. Please send me the filenames of the files of your plugin I need to change and point out which lines this is on. Thank you.

immeemz
    Participant

For anyone hoping to resolve these errors with non-English translations, until the plugin actually respects the date settings specified, here is what you do:
    \the-events-calendar\public\templates\general.php
    Line 838
    ‘same_year_format’ => ‘F j’,
    change to (assuming you want European format):
    ‘same_year_format’ => ‘j F’,

Hopefully the next update will simply have it respect WordPress settings. It’s quite a bad oversight for a plugin that is supposed to be multilingual-ready. I spent a lot of time tracking this down…if my question had simply been answered by the developers who should have been able to find this within minutes…then I might have saved me a lot of time.

Leah

Hi immeemz,

Thank you for the further information. Since the French time format is working in most of the calendar, I believe the issue with Agenda view is that it’s either not respecting the French WordPress files or it doesn’t respect the WordPress Time Format settings. Either way, as I said, we are not able to assist with this.

I apologize for misunderstanding what you needed here, and I’m glad that you were able to figure things out. Thank you also for posting your solution so that others can see it. I hope that we will have an easier solution available for you soon.

Thank you,

Leah

immeemz
    Participant

Thank you! Looking forward to that update so that the plugin will respect the specified date format! I’m clicking “my issue is resolved” even though it won’t REALLY be until you fix this. ;o)

Leah

Thanks immeemz. Be sure to keep an eye on the release notes for future releases for an announcement about date compatibility. We are actively working on making it much more flexible and international friendly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Problems with French translation’ is closed to new replies.