Searching by Event Location doesn’t return existing events

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Searching by Event Location doesn’t return existing events

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    veruska
    Participant

I did a few tests on my site which is about to go live and realized that the search by Event location doesn’t work the way I expected. For instance, this event is in Miami, but search did not return it or any other one:
    http://brasileirinho.com/pt/event/batuke-samba-funk-touche/
    Please help.

Barry

Hi Vera,

Can you let me know the value of the map view search distance limit setting (and the map view distance unit setting also)? These can be found in the Events → Settings → General tab.

Let me know!

veruska
    Participant

Map view search distance: 25 – Miles

veruska
    Participant

And the distance between this event and my house is 37 miles, just FYI.

Barry

How puzzling. If you enable map view, do you see a pinmarker for the event on that view?

veruska
    Participant

Nope.

Barry

OK, that’s actually a great clue as to the problem: while single event/venue posts may still show a map (because they simply work by feeding Google the street address – and Google takes things from there) in map view we supply Google with a list of coordinates.

If you aren’t seeing a pinmarker for this venue, then, it’s likely that – for some reason – the plugin was unable to determine what those coordinates were. There are a number of possible causes, but let’s explore a quick and fairly easy workaround that might help us out in the first instance.

Can I ask you to edit the venue in question and change the address slightly (add an extra number to the start), then save, then edit and change it back to whatever it should be … and save again. This seems like a bit of back and forth but it should trigger an update of the stored coordinates for the venue – could you give that a try and see if it improves things?

veruska
    Participant

OK, but before I do that, just let me clarify something: I have more than one event in Miami. And on a closer look at that particular event, when I open it, the little map in the bottom does show a pin on Miami, but if I do a search for Miami overall using the Map View, I don’t see any events in Miami.

veruska
    Participant

I guess this is exactly what you said … never mind 🙂

veruska
    Participant

I changed the Venue address, saved, edited back and saved it again. It didn’t help.

Barry

Hmm, it’s certainly puzzling and as that event has now passed it won’t be listed in a search of upcoming events in any case.

I do see there is a venue further up the coast with an upcoming event and searching for either Delray Beach or Boca Raton works as expected. Searching for Miami in this case does not return any results, but, I suspect that’s because this particular venue is more than 25 miles from whatever Google deems to be the geographic centre of Miami.

So, it seems like map view/location based searching is working – but if you wished to create a new test event in the future, taking place in Miami, we can take another look and see if there’s a particular sticking point there.

veruska
    Participant

No problem. I just created a Test Event for July 4th, 2014, searched for Miami and nothing came up. You may check for yourself: http://brasileirinho.com/pt/event/event-test/

Barry

Hmm, the very same address works perfectly for me when I test locally. How busy is your site? I wonder if you might have exceeded Google’s query limits.

veruska
    Participant

Never heard of that. Site hasn’t been launched yet. No traffic.

Barry

Hmm, ok. Exceeding the query limit is unlikely then.

This plugin is not officially supported by Modern Tribe but might be useful in troubleshooting: could you try installing and activating it, then edit the venue in question and look to see if the venue has a set of coordinates (longitude/latitude) in a small meta box on the right hand side of the venue editor screen?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • The topic ‘Searching by Event Location doesn’t return existing events’ is closed to new replies.