SPAM

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    swingcal
    Participant

Hello MODERN TRIBE,
    WOW we are getting a lot of SPAM!
    I know there is some information about spam already on your site, but wanted to check if this is the best process now to go through….
    I did load the latest versions of events calendar and The Events Calendar: Community Events.

This is the latest information I could find:
    “While you’re waiting for an official fix to be released for this, you can take a look at using this plugin as a temporary fix. https://github.com/caseypatrickdriscoll/patched_up_community_events_captcha/blob/master/patched-up-community-events-captcha.php
    You’ll also need to install the Really Simple Captcha plugin before activating this”
    Not sure what— tandem with Contact Form 7 is, but the steps seem to be:
    1. Backed the site up.
    2. Using cPanel (or FTP) Created a new folder in the /wp-contents/plugins folder and named it patched-up-community-events-captcha
    3. copied the code provided and pasted into Notepad and saved file as patched-up-community-events-captcha.php
    4. uploaded the patched-up-community-events-captcha.php file into the newly created patched-up-community-events-captcha folder
    5. Activated plugin from the wp-admin control panel>> installed plugins
    6. tested

IS THIS THE CORRET STEPS WITH THIS VERSION TO PREVENT SPAM SENT IN The Events Calendar: Community Events?

Josh
    Participant

Hello swingcal,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

That looks right for the “Patched up Community Events Captcha” plugin. In addition, for the captcha to show on your event submission form, you’ll also need to install the Really Simple Captcha plugin.

Once everything is installed and activated you’ll see a new Captcha field at the bottom of the event submission form on the front end of your site. That’s how you’ll know everything is setup the way it needs to be.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

– Josh

swingcal
    Participant

This reply is private.

swingcal
    Participant

…it looks like to put this captcha on the calendar you need to have GD and FreeType library installed on the server. Is this correct?

Josh
    Participant

Hello swingcal,

Thanks for following up with us.

It looks like the plugin does require GD and FreeType Library per the FAQ page for the plugin. However, I don’t believe the error that you’ve shared above is due to these being lacking on the server.

It’s a potential that the primary class for Really Simple Captcha may already be included in an existing plugin or your theme. This is causing it to conflict when activating the plugin. Try disabling other plugins to see if this resolves the issue with activating the Captcha plugin.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

pegcitylovely
    Participant

In order to stop the spam I have to upload 2 more plugins?

Jonathan Goldford
    Participant

We’re also getting a ton of spam for one of our clients who uses Community Events. Has anyone come up with a better solution than adding the Really Simple CAPTCHA plugin and then adding the custom plugin on top of it?

I think a simple honeypot would work just fine. Modern Tribe, is there any way you could write code for an additional field that if filled out would not submit? Then we could use CSS to hide that field.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Josh
    Participant

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks for reaching out to us! It’s best to open a new support ticket to ensure we’re able to respond to your request as quickly as possible.

This is a good idea and something that can be requested on our UserVoice page. I know the team is currently looking into an option to have a captcha built into the plugin that will be available for a future release.

I’ll go ahead and close this ticket. If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to open a new one.

Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘SPAM’ is closed to new replies.