TEC and Genesis Framework – Page Titles Incorrect

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO TEC and Genesis Framework – Page Titles Incorrect

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    sean
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’ve discovered there’s an issue with TEC and the Genesis Framework. The problem is that the page titles, or title tags, are not correct.

Note that I disabled all non-TEC plugins and all template overrides to eliminate those as possible culprits. I also tried activating the Genesis Sample theme and the problem was showing with that theme as well. Changing to the default WP 2012 theme (while keeping all my plugins and template overrides activated) did not reproduce the issue…thus the conclusion that the issue is between TEC and the Genesis Framework.

I contacted Copyblogger and they were not aware of any issues. They recommended that I reach out to you guys to make you aware of the problem and see what can be done to fix this issue.

From my testing it looks like the issue occurs on the views when anything is appended to the TEC urls. So the calendar homepage and default view pages (first page of list view or map view, the current month, and today’s date) are correct, but applying any search criteria (via the Tribe Bar or Filters) produces double separators (to the view pages) or missing separators (on single event, category and tag pages, as well as venue and organizer pages).

I’ll include a list of examples in a second, private post.

We get a lot of traffic from organic searches, so you can see how this is more than a case of it looking bad on the actual pages. It’s also affecting our SEO.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need more info.

Thanks,
    Sean

sean
    Participant

This reply is private.

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi Sean,

I am a Genesis user and looked up the issue you are having. I see what you mean in some cases and in others I was not able to reproduce it. Although we try to make our plugins compatible with as many themes as possible there are going to be issues such as this that are unforeseen way each of each company build their product.

However, I did come up with this snippet to fix the meta title close to what you are looking for.

https://gist.github.com/jesseeproductions/27c812b6f23d5cbb9315

That snippet targets most of the Event pages, but you may have to add some more conditionals to get everything you would like.

https://gist.github.com/jo-snips/2415009

However, it still does have a double || in it. That is Genesis coding causing the || bar in this filter:

genesis_default_title

So that is where I found start looking or asking StudioPress if they have a way to remove it and you could add it to the snippet above so it only does it on Event pages.

That is all we can provide coding wise on this, but if you have any follow up questions please let me know.

Thanks

sean
    Participant

Hi Brian,
    Thank you very much. That snippet seems to fix the majority of the pages. I’ll ask StudioPress how that last separator can be removed. Thanks again!

Brian
    Keymaster

Sounds good.  If you get the coding and would like to share please post it back here. I am working on getting all Genesis related snippets together and creating a guide for it.

Also, let me know if have anymore questions or get stuck I maybe to help on the next step one more time.

Thanks

sean
    Participant

So it looks like inputting a space in the “Document Title Separator” field provides a workaround for removing that extra separator. Note that leaving that field blank will lead to the default “-” (hyphen) being inserted with the site name, thus a space must be inserted in the field.

Also, I am pretty sure that I’m using the correct conditional to apply this function to the single event pages, but the separator is not being included on those pages. Can you please confirm if I have the correct conditional in the function? http://pastebin.com/225UtVSj

A Genesis guide for the snippets would be great. I’m sure that’ll be extremely helpful for everyone that uses that framework.

Brian
    Keymaster

Those conditionals look good, that should get everything in the Events Calendar.

I do not have many snippets yet, but here is two more that might be useful:

https://gist.github.com/jesseeproductions/95379b711c5fbf7d5825

https://gist.github.com/jesseeproductions/8d0947375b5ba10a1b5e

sean
    Participant

Hmm, odd that the single event conditional isn’t working. FYI, I also tried this on the Genesis Sample theme with only these functions (tribe_genesis_meta_title and event_genesis_do_title) added to function.php, but it still isn’t adding separators to the page titles. So it looks like something in Genesis is overriding the function, but only on single events.

Brian
    Keymaster

Maybe try targeting it with the singular conditional from WordPress:

is_singular( 'tribe_events' )

Let me know if that works.

Thanks

sean
    Participant

Ah, didn’t even think of trying the WordPress conditional. That works! Thanks!

I’d be interested in seeing the Genesis snippets guide you’re putting together. Would you be posting that on tri.be or elsewhere when its finished?

Regards,
    Sean

Brian
    Keymaster

Your Welcome, glad it helps.

The guide will be on tri.be or on our new site that we hope to launch soon, not sure when it will be done, it may happen next month after the launch of the new site or around the first of the year at the latest.

I am going to close this ticket, but if you need anything else related to this topic or another please post a new topic on the forum and we can help you out.

Thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘TEC and Genesis Framework – Page Titles Incorrect’ is closed to new replies.