"There's Nothing There" on the Events page

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO "There's Nothing There" on the Events page

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    simoncarr
    Participant

Hi,

I took over a website from a previous developer. He had let the Events Pro plugin expire and I just bought a new license to maintain the site.

There is a problem on the website where the main events page does not load. I get the “There’s nothing there” error – even though there are 50+ events. Viewing the single event page Does work.

Here is more info about the site:
    – both the regular Event Calendar plugin and Pro plugin are installed and updated
    – theme is running on Thesis

Barry

Hmm, definitely strange.

In the first instance can you try visiting the Permalink Settings screen – you don’t need to change anything, just visiting this causes WordPress to “flush” or refresh it’s list of rewrite rules.

If that doesn’t help, would you be able to try deactivating all other plugins and switch, temporarily, to a default and unmodified theme (whether on the live site or a duplicate testing installation where you can also replicate this) and see if that resolves this problem?

Assuming for the moment it does solve this – the next step would be to reactivate everything one-at-a-time and test at each stage to see if the problem has returned. This is a great way to zero in on any potential conflicts.

Let me know how you get on 🙂

simoncarr
    Participant

Barry – I’ve tried visiting the permalinks page. no luck.

I’ve deactivated most of the plugins to see if that changes anything. I can’t remove them all since it is a production site.. My last resort will be the re-install the entire site on a different server, but that is a huge task to troubleshoot this.

QUESTION – Is it normal that both the regular Events plugin AND Pro plugin should both be activated? I had turned off the regular plugin, which broke the site.

QUESTION 2 – The previous license expired from another developer. I had to signup for a new license. Is it possibly broken because the license is in my account now? I am guessing not since the detail pages load.

MIGHT HELP: My template in Display Settings is ‘Default Page Template’.. If I change this to ‘Default Events Template’ the main Events page does display. However, this is not the desired styling.. but it does work. Any idea why the Default Page Template wouldn’t pull the Events in?? I’ve tried the other page templates and they don’t work either.

Barry

I’ve deactivated most of the plugins to see if that changes anything. I can’t remove them all since it is a production site.. My last resort will be the re-install the entire site on a different server, but that is a huge task to troubleshoot this.

I definitely appreciate where you are coming from here – and by the looks of your final point you’ve anyway hit on the source of the problem (ie, it’s a conflict with your theme).

QUESTION – Is it normal that both the regular Events plugin AND Pro plugin should both be activated? I had turned off the regular plugin, which broke the site.

Absolutely. Events Calendar PRO builds on and enhances the core plugin (The Events Calendar) – so yes, both ought to be active.

QUESTION 2 – The previous license expired from another developer. I had to signup for a new license. Is it possibly broken because the license is in my account now? I am guessing not since the detail pages load.

That shouldn’t have any effect. Even if you removed your current license/it expires, the software itself will keep functioning. Setting aside access to support, the only real operational change if a valid license key is missing is that automated updates will not be available.

MIGHT HELP: My template in Display Settings is ‘Default Page Template’.. If I change this to ‘Default Events Template’ the main Events page does display. However, this is not the desired styling.. but it does work. Any idea why the Default Page Template wouldn’t pull the Events in??

Hmm, difficult to say – but that setting is partly there to help achieve the best fit possible across a wide range of themes. Perhaps you can use the Default Events Template and add some extra CSS/tweak the template as necessary to get things looking as you’d like? Our Themer’s Guide is a great starting point if you want to do this.

Does that help?

Barry

Hi! It’s been a while so I’m going to go ahead and close this thread. If we can help with anything else, though, please don’t hesitate to create new threads as needed. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘"There's Nothing There" on the Events page’ is closed to new replies.