timeout when saving recurring events

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO timeout when saving recurring events

• This topic has 25 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Rob.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    karen
    Participant

I am not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but any time I try to save recurring events, The page appears to timeout on the post admin page, (white screen). Some of them save, but not all. should I just wait an hour? Is there a cure? I may have to do with the OPCODE cache that I have installed but I cannot just uninstall it to test it out. This recurring events has not been a problem until 3.6. I guess that is when the end date NONE was instilled. Your thoughts?
    thanks
    Ps. I just noticed that the events save in the editor, but do not show because they do not have a YEAR associated with them. Any ideas on that?

Casey
    Participant

Karen,
    Thanks for getting in touch! It’s definitely possible that something else is at play here, since I haven’t seen this particular problem crop up before. Have you tried testing for conflicts to see what you discover? I suspect that this might be an issue related to your server config or a plugin conflict, but want to confirm before troubleshooting further.

As an addition to my first suggestion, could you also send me the event’s recurrence details so I can test your specific scenario in my environment and attempt to replicate the issue? Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

kdeganhart
    Participant

I’m having a similar issue when editing recurring events. After I hit update the page does the loading thing for a while and then eventually times out and sends me to http://mysite.com/wp-admin/post.php which with my setup is a 404 page. The updates seem to save, but this clearly isn’t functioning properly.

karen
    Participant

For me only a few save with the full date. The year is not saved on many of them. I can go to one without a year and update going forward, and may eventually succeed, but this is not optimum. Thinking about reverting to a previous version if that is possible.

Casey
    Participant

Karen,
    Did you see my response above? If you could try those steps and give me the event’s recurrence info, I’ll be able to investigate further.

kdeganhart,
    If your issue is the same as the above please do feel free to monitor this thread, but if you need assistance for your own specific scenario it would be great if you could create a fresh thread of your own. Thanks!

-Casey-

karen
    Participant

Thanks Casey. when I get some time. As to the recurrence detail. there is not much to tell. I have tried shorter ones and longer ones. some cross the year, some do not. Again, This was not a problem until 3.6. Not sure what may have changed.

Casey
    Participant

Karen,
    Ok, thanks for the update. I’ll go ahead and leave this thread open, and we can continue troubleshoot once you have more time. Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

karen
    Participant

so Casey, I was reading a bit on how ECP runs cron jobs, referenced in this article under cron jobs. https://theeventscalendar.com/how-recurrence-creation-works/?utm_medium=plugin-ecp&utm_campaign=in-app

http://tommcfarlin.com/wordpress-cron-jobs/
    Where it says to set
    /** MySQL disable chronjob */
    define(‘DISABLE_WP_CRON’, true);
    Is that correct?

karen
    Participant

Other than the events not updating the YEAR, or even having a year, I have several events that show up in the list box (edit events) as Start date and end date of TODAY. As to the recurring settings, I use custom, Weekly, and every one week. it does not matter if I end it at NONE or some date in the future, although the fewer recurring dates, the better chance I have of getting them to save properly. I will keep digging. thanks

Casey
    Participant

Karen,
    You should not be disabling the WP Cron, unless you’re also manually defining a cron job on your server, since ECP uses WP Cron to clean up past instances of recurring events. Another thing you might try is to increase the PHP memory limit on your server. It’s possible that your server is timing out because there’s not enough resources to create all instances of your event.

Give that a try and see if it helps to resolve the issue. Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

Casey
    Participant

I just wanted to follow up and see if you’re all set here or if you still have further questions. Just let me know if you have further questions or if I should go ahead and close out this thread. Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

karen
    Participant

No, recurring issues still leave me with a while screen. I just live with it. I am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the tables as I am also seeing strange behaviour . For instance, Start date and end date in the edit events list boxes show up as the day I input them not as the date of the event. Very strange.

karen
    Participant

sorry.. White Screen. I am thinking about reverting to the version that was released two version ago.

Casey
    Participant

Karen,
    Did you try any of my suggestion above? I think this might be related to your hosting setup and not having enough memory available to WordPress:

You should not be disabling the WP Cron, unless you’re also manually defining a cron job on your server, since ECP uses WP Cron to clean up past instances of recurring events. Another thing you might try is to increase the PHP memory limit on your server. It’s possible that your server is timing out because there’s not enough resources to create all instances of your event.

Give that a try and let me know what you discover. Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

karen
    Participant

Casey, Yes I increase the PHP memory limit. I am on a VPS, so I think memory or server resources are not the issue. Especially if you have customers running on Shared servers.
    I am curious as to what may have changed on your end with this new update that might have affected the way that saving was affected. thanks,
    Karen
    thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The topic ‘timeout when saving recurring events’ is closed to new replies.