Upcoming Events There are no upcoming events at this time.

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Upcoming Events There are no upcoming events at this time.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Cynthia Lockley
    Participant

Since the 3.8 update, the sidebar widget for the upcoming events says there are no upcoming events and we have several in the calendar for November, December, January, and February. This problem was not fixed with the 3.8.1 updates. We do get a list of the upcoming events for the current month below the calendar widget in the sidebar. See http://events.stcwdc.org/ for the calendar and sidebar.

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi Cynthia,

Sorry for the issues with the Upcoming Events not displaying correctly. I can help troubleshoot this with you.

Lets start off with the easy stuff first and then go from there.

Can you please go into your admin area and the widget section and delete the Upcoming Events Widget and then add a new Widget in its place?

Also, do you have any customizations in your theme for the widget?

Do you have any caching on the site?

Let me know and we can go from there to test for conflicts.

Thanks

Cynthia Lockley
    Participant

Hi Brian,
    I deleted the Upcoming Events Widget and put the Events List widget in its place. It now shows all upcoming events up to the number I specified. But–The Calendar widget displays a list of the upcoming events for this month. This new Events List includes the remaining upcoming events for this month with the ones for upcoming months. Is it possible to only list the ones for upcoming months in this new Events List? Or is it possible suppress the list of remaining events for this month displayed below the calendar? Two widgets showing repeated information is redundant and really lengthens the sidebar.
    I have several customized functions and customized CSS for the plugin but I don’t have customization for the Events List widget.
    Yes, I use WP Super Cache.

Brian
    Keymaster

Glad it is showing now.

See my answers below your questions:

Is it possible to only list the ones for upcoming months in this new Events List?

You could modify the widget to pull from the next month, by default this does not do that.

Or is it possible suppress the list of remaining events for this month displayed below the calendar?

You could try hiding the events under the Calender Widget, but when you click on days with dots it shows the events for that day so it might hide that feature.

Two widgets showing repeated information is redundant and really lengthens the sidebar.

Agreed it can length the sidebar, maybe the easier solution is to remove one of them.

If you would like to make some customizations we can try to help if you have a specific question or need help on the first step, but for the most part it is beyond the support we can provide on the forum.

Thanks

Cynthia Lockley
    Participant

I have made several attempts to modify a child theme version of the list-widget.php and the mini-calendar-widget.php but no luck. My client wants to see a list of the events for the upcoming months as well as the mini-calendar. I was thinking it would be easier to just comment out the list under the mini-calendar but that didn’t working.
    In the mini-calendar-widget file, I tried commenting out the PHP code on line 29 for the list. The list still shows.

After reading through the files plus the loop.php file, I tried the following variations: in the list-widget file, I tried changing line 38 from $link_to_all = tribe_get_events_link();
    to $link_to_all = tribe_get_next_events_link();
    and to to $link_to_all = tribe_get_next_events_link(6);
    and to to $link_to_all = tribe_get_next_events_link(upcoming);
    and to to $link_to_all = tribe_get_next_month(upcoming, events);
    None of these attempts made a difference. It isn’t breaking anything but it isn’t fixing anything.

At first I put the files in the child themes tribe-events folder where I have other modifications but that didn’t work. Next I tried creating a view folder with a widgets folder for the files to go into.

Obviously, I’m not a PHP programmer. I did look at the documentation at http://docs.tri.be/Events-Calendar/function-tribe_get_events_link.html but that was of no help. It just tells me where tribe_get_events_link() is and that it spits out a URL. Nothing about how it works, how to make modifications to it, what are the possible modifications that can be made? What am I doing wrong?

Brian
    Keymaster

I can try to help out a bit here, but for the most part customization and figuring out customzations is beyond the support we can provide.

In the mini-calendar-widget file, I tried commenting out the PHP code on line 29 for the list. The list still shows.

The events under the minicalendar are loaded by javascript so you would have to remove that to prevent them from showing.

This function:

tribe_get_next_events_link()

Just grabs the links for next and previous views. It does not grab events nor take a variable.

To change the output you would have to change the values in the $posts variable on the top of the list-widget.php.

You can either use that variable and find a filter to change it or you can create your own custom loop and get the next months events. Either way it would take some php knowledge to get done and unfortunately I do not have a simple solution for you.

Cynthia Lockley
    Participant

I’ve seen this in many forum answers:
    “3. Purchase a Pro license to get more support: http://m.tri.be/11. As mentioned in the sticky thread, we can provide both a deeper and more frequent level of support for PRO users.”
    So this is the full extent of the deeper PRO support now–vague references? I looked at the vars at the top of list-widget.php and those vars don’t seem to have anything to do with getting the next month’s events: $start, $end, $venue, $address, $city, $state, $province’], $zip, $country, $phone, $cost

“You can either use that variable and find a filter to change it or you can create your own custom loop and get the next months events.” How about a hint as to where one finds the filters to look through?

Rob

Hi Cynthia! Rob from Modern Tribe here…I head up the support team and believe you and I have even exchanged notes over your long stint as a customer with us. I wanted to chime in here because Brian brought this thread to my attention today and it’s clear to me that you’re frustrated with the plugin + our support process. We never want to leave a customer feeling this way – especially someone who has shown continued faith in our product over the years.

I’m sorry on behalf of the whole team that we failed to both deliver the level of service you’d expect and for not properly setting expectations from the offset regarding what we can and cannot support. I’d love to hear your thoughts on how we could get better. Do you think if we had been clearer regarding the distinction of what is supported vs what isn’t at https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/, it would have spared you this disappointment? Similarly: we added a TERMS page since you first became a customer (and which all new users need to agree to before buying) that tries to clearly delineate what we define as support vs customization. That’s available here: https://theeventscalendar.com/terms/. I’d be interested in hearing if you were aware of that and if so, whether you think it lacks the detail needed to properly get the point across.

Regarding the matter at hand here: I’ll note right off the bat that since it’s clear you’re disappointed and such a longtime customer to boot, I did have Brian go back and put together a snippet here that will get you pretty close to where you want to be here. But even so, it’s going to require a bit of work on your part to drive to completion. Generally this is the way we try to handle such complex or customization-oriented issues: we’ll do our best to get you what you need in a 15-20 minute period. But we won’t do all the work ourselves, since that both tends to be more time-consuming and requires involvement from more of the dev team. We try to walk the line between being as helpful as possible and providing a reasonable level of support for a $65 plugin. We have definitely had requests to provide a more robust, deeper level of support and have looked into that. But logistically it just wouldn’t be possible without charging a substantially higher amount for this plugin to cover both existing design/dev/project management efforts and the newly-heightened support costs such a move would require. Not to say it’s out of the question, but realistically it isn’t something we’ve got on our roadmap at this time.

All that to say: I’m sorry we let you down here, and am optimistic that the snippet Brian provided will get you where you need to be to drive things to completion yourself. I also want to thank you for this feedback in the first place; if you still have faith in the plugin when it comes time for your next renewal, I’d be more than willing to give you a free renewal as a THANK YOU for your continued support over the years. You should also feel free to shoot me an email (rob @ this domain) at any time if you’d like to continue this discussion offline.

Brian
    Keymaster

AS Rob said I do have a snippet to get you started, but you are going to take it from here to get it exactly how you would like.

https://gist.github.com/jesseeproductions/344dcb2d0a3b5600240f

The coding will get the events in the month specified, in this case November.

You will have to add your own coding to get the number for the next month.

Also you will have to modify this date(‘Y’) function. As you will want to get the next year when you are in December and not the current year.

A good resource for figuring this out is the PHP Date function found here:

http://php.net/manual/en/function.date.php

I have tried the snippet on my own site it was working when I manually changed the $month_num variable.

Let me know if you have any questions on how this works and I can answer them.

Thanks

Brian
    Keymaster

Since there is has not been any activity on this thread for over 2 weeks so I am now closing it. Feel free to start a new thread if you have further issues. Thanks! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Upcoming Events There are no upcoming events at this time.’ is closed to new replies.