Webmaster tools flooded with 404s for dates which have never had events on them

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Webmaster tools flooded with 404s for dates which have never had events on them

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    Participant

Just checked my webmaster tools and it looks like the events section is flooding the stats with 404s. I’m seeing a lot of entries on the format of /events/20xx-xx-xx/ for dates which have never had events on them.

The snippets we found in this discussion doesnt work, I have test it and still generate this 404.
    https://tri.be/support/forums/topic/webmaster-tools-flooded-with-404s/

Thanks to provide a solution πŸ™‚

Ben
    Participant

Any new snippet to correct it ?
    I’m surprised to be the only one to meet this problem.

Brook
    Participant

Howdy superbigcat,

I really like your site! Excellent use of minimalism.

That is strange. Google at least won’t index those pages since they all have the noindex flag set in the robots meta, something I just confirmed is working on your site. It is hard to imagine that they would penalize you in any shape or form from pages they do not index and that 404, but I have yet to see any statement from them on this topic. As far as I have been able to determine these types of 404s that on occasion Google Webmaster tools highlights are simply for informative purposes. For instance, what if you were linking to this page elsewhere on your site, but subsequently delete the data from it? I believe that’s why Google shows these errors. I have been doing some research here for a while and no come across anything indicating that they would penalize.

Knowing that they don’t index those pages, does that set your mind at ease? If not, what do you want to do? What would you imagine a snippet doing? Thanks for posting!

– Brook

Ben
    Participant

This reply is private.

Brook
    Participant

Ahh thank you for clarifying superbigcat. That is something else entirely. So, I can confirm that when I visit your page it is not returning a 404 status code, rather it is a 200 OK one. That is no good, nor is it the default behavior of our plugin. I know some people have specifically requested that behavior, and I think there are a few snippets floating around that will return 200 instead of 404 on non existant events pages. Are you running any of those perchance? If not, what happens when you do a conflict test? Do your page still return a 200 http response, or a 404? If you are not familiar with how to check status codes, one way with little learning curve is to use this online tool. Does that all make sense? Are you able to isolate why it is returning a 200 response code?

– Brook

Ben
    Participant

To answer to your question :

1) The online Tool give me some 200 HTTP
    2) I use this snippet to solve some SEO YOAST sitemap errors by removing taxonomy from sitemap :

function sitemap_exclude_taxonomy( $value, $taxonomy ) {
    if ( ‘post_status’ == $taxonomy ) {
    return true;
    }
    }
    add_filter( ‘wpseo_sitemap_exclude_taxonomy’, ‘sitemap_exclude_taxonomy’, 10, 2 );

===

I just removed it, purge my cache, I still have errors 200.

===

So now I had a look at the conflict test but it’s like super heavy when website is online, especially changing theme cause it’s often generate a modification of settings…

Mhmm It looks like I don’t have the choice.

If it is between the plugin and the theme (I suppose it), then how it works to fix it ?

Thanks

ps : I will do it this week for sure πŸ˜‰

Brook
    Participant

One way you might be able to narrow it down is by running a search on your wp-content directory for “is_404”. It is possible that whatever bit of code is causing a 200 OK is messing with this is checking if is_404 is true.Β It is also possible that whatever is causing this is using the PHP header() function. If you do a regex search on that entire directoy’s contents, you might do this search:

[^\w]header\s*\(.*200

That should find anywhere the header function is being called and returning a 200. Perhaps try disabling any plugins you find in this search first, to see if that fixed things. Or if it’s your theme, wait until midnight!

I wish there was an easier way to test for conflicts in situations like yours, but there really isn’t. It is extremely helpful to have a development server somewhere with a copy of your site so you can test for stuff, and write new code without worrying about breaking the live site. Many developers tend to have a local server for that sort of thing. But, since it sounds like you don’t have that it does make things a bit difficult πŸ™ . Hopefully the above will help us narrow it down and make your life easier.

You might also try pasting the following snippet in your functions.php. It adds an HTML comment to every page, only viewable if you click “view source”, it will let us know if is_404 is true. That could prove helpful in diagnosing this.

– Brook

Ben
    Participant

Hi Brook,

of course I have a local version installed πŸ™‚
    I just supposed that this can of errors, linked with GWT status were maybe not possible to generate on local server, the same way it happens online.

So now I got this http 200 on local, and i will do everything to isolate it.

I come back to you with more infos πŸ™‚

Ben
    Participant

This reply is private.

Ben
    Participant

This reply is private.

Brook
    Participant

This reply is private.

Brook
    Participant

Since this thread has gone for a bit of a spell without an update, I am going to archive it. However should you need to continue this thread, or if you have any other questions, please open a new thread. We will be happy to help.

Cheers!

– Brook

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Webmaster tools flooded with 404s for dates which have never had events on them’ is closed to new replies.