White Screen of death on 3.8.1 update of Events Calendar

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO White Screen of death on 3.8.1 update of Events Calendar

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jpehmann
    Participant

Yesterday I noticed that the update (3.8.1) of the Events Calendar was available, so I clicked updated and was greeted by the white screen of death after it said that the plugin was installed successfully. I have tried (via ftp) renaming the events calendar folders so that wordpress will just skip them, but I still get the white screen and am unable to login to the dashboard. Also, on the website, there are no events. If the events link is clicked, you just remain at the home screen. Would I be able to fix this if you gave me a fresh download of 3.8 that I could upload back into my wp-content plugins folder by ftp and just rename the events calendar that I have right now (3.8.1) so that wordpress skips it and choses the 3.8 version folder instead? In other words, can I just revert to 3.8?
    Thanks

Josh
    Participant

Hello jpehmann,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

I apologize for the frustration that I’m sure this issue has caused.

To clarify, this is happening in the upgrade to 3.8.1 from 3.8? You had previously updated to 3.8 without a problem?

To restore, you can delete version 3.8.1 from your server and replace with version 3.8 which can be downloaded from the developer tab of the WordPress.org repository. Before updating again, were there any new plugins (or updates) that were added between updating 3.8 and 3.8.1 or a theme switch? If so, try disabling these plugins when running the update.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

jpehmann
    Participant

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your directing me to the developer tab where I was able to download the 3.8 version of the events calendar. I downloaded it and then uploaded it to the server by ftp. Unfortunately, even with the new (actually old) version, I still have the white screen. I know that yesterday everything worked perfectly fine until I updated the events calendar from 3.8 to 3.8.1. Perhaps weeks ago I updated something else, but I can’t remember. I’ve tried renaming every plugin that I have in the wp-content folder (so that they no longer work), and I still had the white screen. I’m not sure how to change themes when I can’t log in to the dashboard, and I’m a bit hesitant to just try stuff…I’m trying to save what work we had in it already. Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Josh
    Participant

Hello jpehmann,

So, even with renaming (or deleting all the calendar plugin files) you’re still unable to access the admin? You’re still getting the white screen?

At this point, I would recommend:

1. Deleting all the plugin files for The Events Calendar from the plugins folder.
    2. Contact your hosting provider to ensure there won’t be any negative issues with attempting a database repair by using the following constant in your wp-config.php file.
    3. After doing the repair, check to see if you’re able to access the admin area of the site.

If you are able to access the admin area of your site at this point:

1. <span style=”line-height: 13px;”>Disable all other plugins within your dashboard</span>
    2. Try switching to a default theme
    3. Re-download the The Events Calendar plugin and activate
    4. Reactivate all the other plugins to see if there is one that generates a conflict.

I apologize again for the inconvenience but let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

jpehmann
    Participant

Hi Josh,
    Again, thank you so much for taking the time to assist me with this. Yes, you are correct. Even after deleting the calendar plugin from the plugins folder I was still unable to access the admin area and dashboard. I contacted my web host to see if there would be any problems with attempting the database repair as you suggested. They replied by saying “I would like to let you know that I have enabled PHP errors displaying and increased PHP memory limit for your website, as lack of memory is most common problem in such situations after new plugins installing. Thus I would like to ask you to re-check your admin panel once again and let us know if issue still persists.”
    After they had adjusted the memory I tried to log into the admin part of the site and now I get a white screen with this line at the top:
    “Fatal error: Call to undefined function tribe_get_events() in /hsphere/local/home/c366911/gbcelko.org/wp-content/themes/forgiven/_theme_settings/custom-fields/init.php on line 16”
    I responded to the web host with this information and my login credentials several days ago and they have not yet replied with anything further.
    I don’t know what this “Fatal error” line means. It looks kind of like there is a conflict with the events calendar interacting with my theme which is called “forgiven.”
    I thought perhaps my theme needed to have the events calendar to load the page, and since I had deleted it, there was an error, so I re-uploaded the events calendar to my plugins folder, but nothing changed. I have since deleted it again.
    I’m just wondering if I should continue to wait for my web host to reply or if this looks familiar to you, and you have a suggestion of what I ought to do (including proceeding by attempting the database repair you suggested in the earlier post).
    Thanks again

clawley
    Participant

Hi there,
    I have just had the same thing happen to me. I’ve tried most of the above, including renaming the folder(s) and uploading older versions, deleting folders and nothing is working.
    I’m going to have to hire someone to do the more delicate troubleshooting suggested above, because it’s beyond my capability/comfort level. I’ve got a call into him now.
    I love my Events Calendar; if there is something I can share to help figure out where the incompatibility is happening, please let me know. I don’t want to worry about updating in the future.
    I’m using X Theme, in case it matters.
    Thanks.

I have/had the same problem here. The Events Calendar pro seemed to be in conflict with the “add link to facebook”-plugin. Hopefully this will be of some help.

clawley
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Unfortunately, my site doesn’t have that “add link to facebook” plug-in. 🙁
    I’ve asked the hosting company to restore from a back-up. (Restoring the directory didn’t work, so now we’ll try the database, I think.)

Josh
    Participant

Hello jpehmann,

Thanks for following up with us.

We have seen server memory limit being an issue in the past and I imagine that was probably the original issue that you faced. According to the current error you’re seeing, you’re right in your assumption. This is definitely due to your theme requiring our plugin to be activated to work (probably due to a customization). The error is being generated because the theme is using a function that is only defined within our plugin.

Try uploading and activating the plugin again. The plugin will need to be activated before the error will be resolved. To do this you may need to temporarily rename your active theme to regain access to the backend of your site.

clawley,

It’s best to open a new ticket when seeking support. This will ensure that we’re able to respond as quickly as possible. It also helps to keep things organized since this type of issue can be caused by a number of issues.

As an initial step, try following the Testing for Conflicts procedures as well as contacting your current hosting provider to see if this is a potential memory limit issue. If neither of those help, please open a new ticket and we’ll be able to help you out as quickly as possible.

Thanks!

jpehmann
    Participant

This reply is private.

Josh
    Participant

Hello jpehmann,

Thanks for following up! I’m glad I was able to help.

If you have a few moments, we would definitely appreciate it if you took a second to rate our plugin on the WordPress.org repository.

I’ll go ahead and close this ticket. If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to open a new one.

– Josh

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘White Screen of death on 3.8.1 update of Events Calendar’ is closed to new replies.