404 Not Found in page title

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO 404 Not Found in page title

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Cynthia Lockley
    Participant

Since the upgrade to Version 3, I now get a 404 Not Found in the page title for the calendar page. I saw a suggestion in another thread about this problem to do a refresh of Permalinks. That did not help. The page header has 404 Not Foundname of site (no space between Found and the first name of the site) This also appears in the browser tab that way. I am using the Twenty Eleven theme.

John Niernberger
    Participant

I’m getting this too — the default URL for my calendar is:

http://domain.com/events/

Which returns the 404 in the page title but shows the July calendar (because we’re in July). But if you move forward a month (to August in this case) – this URL is fine:

http://domain.com/events/2013-08/

Then if you move back to July, this URL is fine too:

http://domain.com/events/2013-07/

So the base URL is having some issues… it’s displaying the calendar ok, but WordPress thinks there’s nothing there… at least in my case.

Is the same thing happening to you Cynthia?

Cynthia Lockley
    Participant

Yes, I just tried what you did and the exact same thing is happening on my site.

Leann
    Participant

I have the same exact issue.

Neil
    Participant

Sounds similar to our issue here: https://tri.be/support/forums/topic/webmaster-tools-flooded-with-404s/

The events calendar is, in our case returning a 404 for any situation where there is no specific event – for example, so in the day by day view, any day with nothing in scheduled will return a 404 in the header (although not in the page title but that may be to do with all in one SEO overwriting pages titles).

So far, we’ve got over a thousand 404s racked up under Google Webmaster tools and increasing as Google crawls it’s way through the empty pages.

Cynthia Lockley
    Participant

Hi @Neil, I am not using the All in One SEO plugin. I did at one time a few years ago and had several problems with it–I can’t remember what now. My host at that time told me to remove it because they had banned it from their system.
    It is interesting that you are getting the 404s for empty dates. Our calendar this month is currently empty of events but so is the next month. Yet when I navigate forward to August, the 404 goes away from the title. After navigating to August and then back to July, there is no 404 in the page title on the July calendar either. Only when you first come to the current calendar. Strange. Something in the plugin is acting like your All in One SEO.

Neil
    Participant

Ah sorry – I meant that we were using it and that’s maybe why we’re not seeing the actual page title display a 404 like you are.

I think the underlying issue is probably the same just that the SEO plugin is masking that one particular symptom if you see what I mean.

Cynthia Lockley
    Participant

Ah, yes–I see what you mean. Now if we can just find a solution!

Boutilier
    Participant

I have this issue as well (but in my case it says Page Not Found instead of 404 Not Found). Checking the slugs and resetting the permalinks did not work for me.

But I’ve also noticed that once you paginate to August it no longer has ‘Page Not Found’ in the page title but it has a body class of error404. Checking the landing Calendar page, I’ve found it’s also classed this way. So I’m assuming WordPress is recognizing the generated calendar page semi erroneously?

I’m using a mostly cosmetic Twenty Eleven child theme if that helps, would also appreciate more help with this.

Barry

Hi all,

There does seem to be a problem here where for instance the initially-loaded month contains no events.

Please bear with me while I look into this.

Thanks!

Cynthia Lockley
    Participant

Some additional information. I was just successful with getting the Events Calendar to appear on my home page with the help of @neillmcshea. When I go to the home page, the page title is fine even though the calendar is empty. But if I click on the navigation above the calendar to go back to June, then I get the 404 Not Found added to the page title. If I then click on the navigation to go to July, I go to the Events Calendar page and the page title is OK.

This is reproducible.

If I then click on the tab in the theme’s navigation bar to go back to the home page (page title is OK) and then click to go back to June, the 404 Not Found reappears. Hope this helps.

Barry

Great. I’m going to ask the developers to look into and fix this, but in the interim you could try using this snippet (which you could add to your theme’s functions.php file).

Hopefully we’ll get a definitive fix in one of the soon-to-follow maintenance releases 🙂

Cynthia Lockley
    Participant

Thanks. That snippet works for removing the 404 Not Found from the page title. Now to solve the 404s reported in the Google Webmaster tools for the empty calendar pages (as discussed above by @Neil).

Neil
    Participant

Barry – you asked in the other thread about our additional plugins. As this seems to be the same issue, I’ll just add to the general picture here if that’s okay.

We’re using (and have tried deactivating) the following:
    All In One SEO Pack
    Google XML Sitemaps
    Safe Redirect Manager

Barry

Hi Neil. Since we’ve got a temporary fix in place for Cynthia’s issue (which is quite separate and relates only to the content of title tags) I’ll copy those details back to the original thread that you opened as these are indeed separate problems.

Cynthia: at this point I’m going to close this thread – if you can continue using the temporary fix, possibly until 3.0.3 is released (as the definitive fix might not make the cut for 3.0.2) that would be great.

Thanks all!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘404 Not Found in page title’ is closed to new replies.