Best way to import events (other than CSV Importer)

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Best way to import events (other than CSV Importer)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    irishrunner16
    Participant

Hi all,

So I’m thinking that since I’m importing almost 3,000 events and the CSV Importer doesn’t allow me to import all the fields I need (Event Website url and a couple Additional Fields), my best option might be to have something custom built.

I have all of my existing events data in a MySQL database, with it being in a handful of tables. My question is, if I’m going to hire a developer to build a custom import tool, is there a particular method that would work best given the structure of The Events Calendar and how the data is located in the WP database? Hopefully this all makes sense and sorry if there is only one way to custom import a database – I’m not familiar with any of that and just want to make sure I ask someone to built the right thing! Thanks for any advice!

Sean

pickleshy
    Participant

Ditto – this would be very helpful!

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Sean,

If I were you I would just extend the CSV importer. I definitely think that will be your easiest option, and thus most cost effective. As a bonus, if you do end up hiring someone to add a few extra fields, we might very well be interested in trading you a few free plugin licenses or something if you would permit us to use your code. So let us know if you build this out and would be interested in licensing the code and further recouping your investment. I just double checked with my manager, and he said we would definitely consider an equitable trade.

The only issue is that you might run into timeout errors with a 3000 event import. If you have access to the php.ini of the server your site is running on, then you might need to temporarily modify the max-execution-time.

Pickleshy, at the very least you and Sean both might be interested in throwing some votes towards these feature suggestions. While we have a few more popular suggestions that will likely be imported before some of these, every vote counts so it can not hurt to vote them up.

Does that make sense? Please let me know if you any more questions. Cheers!

– Brook

pickleshy
    Participant

Thanks!

irishrunner16
    Participant

Thanks so much for the recommendation Brook! If/when we move forward with having the CSV Importer extended I’ll definitely let you guys know and hopefully we can work out some type of an arrangement.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Best way to import events (other than CSV Importer)’ is closed to new replies.