(Solved) Events n Main Loop: Tribe events AND "regular" posts? Past events?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO (Solved) Events n Main Loop: Tribe events AND "regular" posts? Past events?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    efromdc
    Participant

I own the Pro version.
    <br><br>1. Does the Pro version support “Include Events in Main Blog Loop?” I see it as a setting in the free plugin version but I dont see it specifically in the pro version<br><br>

<br><br>2. Does enabling this function literally mean that posts of type “post” and posts of type “tribeevents” (or whatever the post type for the events calender is called) show on the main blog page, integrated in some way shape or form?

<br><br>3. Does the “Front page displays” > “your latest posts” setting at http://url/wp-admin/options-reading.php include the events on the front page if events in main loop is enabled? What happens when event dates pass? Do they stop showing up in the main loop (FYI – if they do NOT stop showing up? Thats a suggestion for 3.5, a check box like “Dont display past events in main loop”)?

<br><br>4. Do events integrated into the loop look like a normal non-event post w look/feel as dictated by the template, including featured image? Or is special formatting implied on the front page (the event page itself I assume looks like the various tribe event screen shots Ive seen on your homepage…Im talking about the look/feel on the front / latest post page.

<br><br>5. Whats the post order on the front page for events if they are included in the main blog loop? Can I force events to be chronological order on the front page? Can I force past events NOT to be displayed on the home page (is that a function somewhere in the settings like “don’t display past events”?

<br><br>Sorry about the multiple and possibly overlapping questions. The goal is to have modern tribe events be main functionality of the homepage with CURRENT and future events (ZERO past events) being displayed in chronological order that appear indistinguishable from a “normal” blog posting…

<br><br>Thanks!

Barry

Hi!

1. Does the Pro version support “Include Events in Main Blog Loop?” I see it as a setting in the free plugin version but I dont see it specifically in the pro version

Events Calendar PRO builds on The Events Calendar, it doesn’t replace it. So the same core functions like this one will still be available.

2. Does enabling this function literally mean that posts of type “post” and posts of type “tribeevents” (or whatever the post type for the events calender is called) show on the main blog page, integrated in some way shape or form?

Exactly.

3. Does the “Front page displays” > “your latest posts” setting at http://url/wp-admin/options-reading.php include the events on the front page if events in main loop is enabled? What happens when event dates pass? Do they stop showing up in the main loop (FYI – if they do NOT stop showing up? Thats a suggestion for 3.5, a check box like “Dont display past events in main loop”)?

If your main blog loop is set to show on the front page, and you have also enabled showing events in the main blog loop, then yes – events will be included on the front page. When events pass they simply move further down the blog stream, as happens with regular posts. We definitely appreciate the suggestion for a new setting though and would encourage you to post it on our UserVoice page.

4. Do events integrated into the loop look like a normal non-event post w look/feel as dictated by the template, including featured image? Or is special formatting implied on the front page (the event page itself I assume looks like the various tribe event screen shots Ive seen on your homepage…Im talking about the look/feel on the front / latest post page.

They will be laid out by your theme, so the look and feel will be dictated by it rather than by our plugin. Try it out and see!

5. Whats the post order on the front page for events if they are included in the main blog loop? Can I force events to be chronological order on the front page? Can I force past events NOT to be displayed on the home page (is that a function somewhere in the settings like “don’t display past events”?

You can certainly change the ordering, but familiarity with WordPress development and WordPress queries in general would be required. By default, events are ordered reverse chronologically by start date – so future events first, past events last.

I hope that answers your questions!

efromdc
    Participant

2. There is some kind of conflict in my theme. The theme is “Steam” by Industrial Themes (http://www.industrialthemes.com/steam/). If I disable the theme, events show up in the post loop just fine via the “Include Events in Main Blog Loop” but the dont show when I turn the steam theme back on.

Any ideas on how to get this working…?

efromdc
    Participant

Can send a zip of the theme if necessary…

Barry

OK: in that case I’d recommend approaching the author of the theme and check to see if they are themselves altering the main query (for the blog loop) or, alternatively, if they have basically implemented their own query to retrieve the blog posts.

If either of those are true I’m afraid there may not be much we can do to help. On the other hand, if they are pretty confident they are not doing anything like that please do reply with a .zip containing the theme (you could share it via Dropbox, or upload it to your WP site and share a link to it there, for instance) and we’ll take a look.

Thanks!

efromdc
    Participant

First, I appreciate the offer to have a look.

This issue has now been solved. I spoke w the author. Here was his reply: “Our themes let you create custom post types and uses the “pre_get_posts” filter hook to change what post types are displayed on the homepage. You’d have to manually add in the post type to the query in the themename/functions/core.php within the it_query_posts function which begins on line 38. Maybe try adding this after line 62 (which worked): $post_type[] = ‘tribe_events’;”

The author further implied that though the line numbers might change from theme to theme, this modification would be necessary in 6/7 themes by Industrial themes if you want to include the events in the loop as they specialize in themes w custom post types.

You might want to make note of that w your staff in case someone is using an Industrial theme in the future and has this same question (or a similar theme that uses custom post types)

— eFromDC

Barry

OK, thanks for the update.

It sounds then like the second possibility I suggested is true – and there is effectively no main blog loop (in a WordPress sense). Instead, they are using their own custom query.

The author further implied that though the line numbers might change from theme to theme, this modification would be necessary in 6/7 themes by Industrial themes if you want to include the events in the loop as they specialize in themes w custom post types.

We appreciate the insight. In summary then, based on what you’re telling us, it sounds like this is a stable of themes where our built-in integrate events in main blog loop functionality effectively won’t work – because they don’t actually have a main blog loop in the normal sense of the term. So, yes, some customization work will always be necessary in situations like this, I’m afraid.

I’ll go ahead and close this since you’ve arrived at a solution – and if there is anything else we can help with please do create a new thread or threads as needed.

Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘(Solved) Events n Main Loop: Tribe events AND "regular" posts? Past events?’ is closed to new replies.