Map View missing venues

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Map View missing venues

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    liblogger
    Participant

This is a continuation of the issue I logged here: https://tri.be/support/forums/topic/map-view-displaying-venues-at-latitude-longitude-0/ – as that topic is closed, I’m starting a new one.

With the previous update, we discovered that several of the venues weren’t displaying correctly in the map view – it basically boiled down to missing VenueLat and VenueLng values for some of the VenueGeoAddress records in the wp_postmeta table, which were then rendered at Lat. 0, Long. 0 in the map view.

With the latest update to 3.2, the map view no longer displays anything at Lat. 0, Long. 0, but re-saving the venues still doesn’t seem to create a VenueLat and VenueLng. (The individual venue pages and event pages still display the map correctly)

Barry

Hi liblogger,

I can’t currently see map view on your site: have you temporarily disabled it and if so would you be able to enable it again and provide some notes about which venues are missing so we can take a look at the issue in situ?

Thanks!

liblogger
    Participant

Hi Barry – I had to revert to version 3.1 due to the other issues the 3.2 update was causing (https://tri.be/support/forums/topic/conflict-between-3-2-and-wp-e-commerce/), so the map isn’t enabled. I’ve set up a copy of our site with every plugin except the events calendar, ECPro and the WP E-Commerce site deactivated, and the TwentyTwelve theme instead of our custom theme.

I’ve left WP E-commerce installed that on as it’s the cause of the other problem we’re having, but I checked the plugin on the test site with WP E-Commerce deactivated, and the problem with missing venues persists.

The test copy of our site is at crashtest.womenslibrary.org.uk

Barry

OK, thanks – so I’m seeing three pinmarkers – two in the Glasgow area, broadly speaking, and one up in Aberdeen – when I visit map view. Looking through the events listed below, this seems to correspond to the venues for the listed events.

Can you clarify what’s missing (bearing in mind you won’t see venues for which no upcoming events are listed)?

Thanks!

liblogger
    Participant

Hi Barry – the list below the map view only includes the events at the locations being mapped (I assume it works out what to map first, then lists the relevant events, rather than listing all the upcoming events first, then creating the map).

If you look at the month view, you’ll see more events, and they all have a venue. Most of those events are at our own location (‘GWL in Landressy St’ http://crashtest.womenslibrary.org.uk/venue/gwl-in-landressy-street/ ), which currently isn’t appearing in the map view. I think the only upcoming event we currently have that isn’t mapping is in Dumbarton (‘Concorde Community Centre’ http://crashtest.womenslibrary.org.uk/venue/concorde-community-centre/ ), but we have a lot of venues already in the system that will be reused in the future. When I checked the source of the issue after the 3.1 update, I discovered that about half of those existing events where missing VenueLat and VenueLng – the only locations that displayed correctly, rather than at 0,0, were the same as now (Aberdeen, Clydebank and one Glasgow location). For example, when I first attempted the 3.2 update last week, we had an event in Oban which was not being mapped.

Barry

OK, thanks for clarifying – I’ve got a much better handle on what you are describing now.

My impression (please don’t hesitate to correct me if I am wrong however) is that you are fairly comfortable working with code/inspecting the database. So a couple of options in order of preference are as follows – but please do note that in either case you ought to make a full and complete backup and ensure you know the steps for restoring that backup.

So, one option which I’d recommend trying in the first instance could be to delete the following post meta entries for each affected venue (start with just one venue as a test case):

* _VenueLat
    * _VenueLng
    * _VenueGeoAddress

Visit it in the venue editor and save. Then check to see if the above meta entries have been restored and are correct (ie, the longitude/latitude is non-zero).

A second option if the above doesn’t seem like it will be successful would be to try and force Events Calendar PRO to regenerate all of the relevant data. To do this, you could add this snippet to your theme’s functions.php file (or some other suitable place). Refresh the front page of your website then remove the code, otherwise it will run every time you or someone else tries to do something.

Again, check to see if the correct long/lat (or at least some non-zero values) have been created.

If that fails we’ll have to think of something else. In some countries for example Google’s geocoding API doesn’t perform well, however your addresses look well formed and I don’t think that’s the problem here. So, if you are game, let’s try the above options – of course if you are uncomfortable doing so please don’t feel you have to do anything – we can always try and think of some alternatives.

liblogger
    Participant

Hi Barry – your first suggestion seems to be working (I’m not able to test it on our live site until the other problem’s resolved, but it worked on the copy). The VenueLat and VenueLng were already completely missing, so I only had to delete the _VenueGeoAddress – at that point, re-saving the record created all three meta entries.

Thanks for your help sorting this.

Kelly
    Participant

That’s great news, liblogger. Thanks for letting us know!

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Map View missing venues’ is closed to new replies.