single event view not showing and other generally odd behaviour

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO single event view not showing and other generally odd behaviour

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Amy Kiser
    Participant

Greetings,

Apologies for posting before deactivating all other plugins and reverting to the 2011 theme. I will attempt these ASAP. I also plan to keep browsing through forum posts with similar issues.

Here’s a breakdown of our issue and steps taken to get there.
    1) We have a live site (ecologycenter.org/calendar), staging site (stage.ecologycenter.org/calendar), and development site (dev.ecologycenter.org/calendar).
    2) The live site is still at 2 (I forget the last version)
    3) I updated the development site (TEC + TEC Pro) to 3.1 a while back, things more or less worked out of the box and I had to re-tool our templates. I did this by deleting old plugins and uploading the new ones.
    4) We had a series of issues and did not finalize the update, when I picked this back up TEC was at 3.4.1
    5) I decided to update the dev install from 3.1 to 3.4.1 and now there is VERY strange behavior. I updated by deleting both TEC & TEC Pro 3.1 and uploading zip files for both:

* The backend works with just TEC 3.4.1
    * The backend does NOT work with TEC 3.4.1 Pro enabled (no events show in the list)
    * Our calendar list view works with TEC & TEC Pro 3.4.1
    * Adding new events to the empty event list w/ TEC Pro 3.4.1 enabled results in events showing on the /calendar list view but not the backend.
    * event links don’t work all-together.

I plan to keep working on this by disabling other plugin, reverting our theme, and browsing the forums. My hope is that there’s a chance you guys already know what the issue might be or have recommendations more attuned to this issue.

Thank you.

Barry

Hmm, well, there are a wide range of possible causes for this sort of problem (often conflicts with themes/other plugins). One thing that you could try before running through those steps though is visiting the list of events in the admin environment (with PRO activated) and take a look at the Filters & Columns controls that display right above the list.

Hit the clear button, navigate away to a different admin screen then come back to the events list – do the events display now? If not, the basic troubleshooting steps (deactivating all other plugins and switching to a default, unmodified theme) are the next thing to try, but this could be worth a shot first of all.

Let us know!

Amy Kiser
    Participant

Thank you for your response, I disabled all other plugin save for TEC, TEC Pro, and WordPress Better Security (WPBS). Events started to show in the backend, so that’s probably a plugin conflict between TEC Pro and another plugin; however, event links still did not work.

I went ahead and disabled WPBS, which proceeded to break the calendar and site all-together. I kind of expected that, which is why this is all on the development server =)
    But now event links don’t work for sure.

So now I’m going to re-enable our theme and a few plugins to see if I can return this development site back into what it was; otherwise I’ll copy our live site and start from there. Once I get another setup going I plan to re-disable plugins and our theme and begin looking at the database and code base to identify the issue.

I should also note that I tried to clear the Filters & Columns controls in the Events tab as well as re-saving our page url construction settings.

will update with any findings…
    -Lorenzo

Barry

Hi Lorenzo,

So to re-cap you can now access events in the admin environment with PRO enabled, but cannot view the single event pages on the frontend?

If so, deactivating all other plugins and switching to a default theme – then visiting Settings → Permalinks (you shouldn’t have to change anything, just visiting this page causes rewrite rules to be cleaned out).

I do worry that as can happen with some security plugins things have been “locked down” in such a way that it prevents a number of normal operations from being possible. With that in mind, if the above steps don’t help, I’d recommend setting up a new WordPress install without your security plugin and see if you can replicate the same issue.

Let me know if that helps!

Amy Kiser
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback. Disabling our theme THEN saving permalinks fixed the issue and /event urls work. Once I re-enable our theme single event pages break. I tried re-enabling the theme and saving permalink settings, but that didn’t make /events urls work with our theme active.

We do have an /events and /tribe-events folder in the theme folder, during this whole process I renamed them to /events-bak and /tribe-events-bak respectively. So as far as I understand, the site should be using templates included in the plugin folder.

So it seems this is theme related, but not customizing TEC theme but rather some part of page generation before the page gets assembled? This is what I’m debugging right now using the Debug plugin.

Amy Kiser
    Participant

One last thought, I’d love your feedback, do TEC plugin updates need to be incremental?

Either way, here was my upgrade path:
    2.0.11 (last ver?) -> 3.1 -> 3.4
    3.1 ->3.4 is when single event pages broke.

Not sure if that was communicated properly in prior messages.

Amy Kiser
    Participant

Sorry for the spam, I figure it would be good to update since I’ve identified the issue.

As I suspected, our template isn’t constructing an appropriate query string:

With our template:
    name=edible-garden-series-from-design-to-harvest-2&category_name=events

without:
    tribe_events=edible-garden-series-from-design-to-harvest-2&post_type=tribe_events&name=edible-garden-series-from-design-to-harvest-2

I plan to re-examine our template (which I didn’t write) to see if we’re over-writing a query somewhere. I’ve sent this message in case you have a recommendation for specific areas in our templates or wordpress I can look at.

Barry

OK, it sounds like you’re on track. A couple of things I’m wondering: can you confirm if prior to 2.0.11 you had a much older version installed? Also, with regards to the following:

With our template:

without:
    tribe_events=edible-garden-series-from-design-to-harvest-2&post_type=tribe_events&name=edible-garden-series-from-design-to-harvest-2

Are you seeing these URL queries exposed on the frontend of your site – if so can you point to an example (just in case anything obvious jumps out were I to look at them in situ)?

Amy Kiser
    Participant

I believe the version prior was 2.0.9:

2.0.9 -> 2.0.11 -> 3.1 -> 3.4

I’m not sure if there was a version prior to 2.0.9, that was the version we were on when I assumed control over this site.

Regarding the query, I’m using the Debug plugin which adds a “Debug” option on the top bar of the front end (when logged in) which shows REQUEST, QUERY STRING, MATCHED REWRITE RULE,MATCHED REWRITE QUERY.

Here’s the full output with our theme:
    REQUEST:

events/edible-garden-series-from-design-to-harvest-2

QUERY STRING:

MATCHED REWRITE QUERY:

(.+?)/([^/]+)(/[0-9]+)?/?$

MATCHED REWRITE QUERY:

category_name=events&name=edible-garden-series-from-design-to-harvest-2&page=

————————————–
    Output without our theme:

Request:

events/edible-garden-series-from-design-to-harvest-2

Query String:

Matched Rewrite Rule:

events/([^/]+)(/[0-9]+)?/?$

Matched Rewrite Query:

tribe_events=edible-garden-series-from-design-to-harvest-2&page=

Barry

I see – thanks for clarifying.

So looking for the presence of any code within your theme that adds/alters rewrite rules then is the next logical step as you’d already considered. Is this a theme for which you can approach the original author and might that be worth a try? Unfortunately there are no particularly quick solutions we can offer up, while we’ve certainly seen varied issues that are similar in nature (for instance where rewrite rules are updated on every single request by other plugins/themes, annulling our own) the exact details vary a lot.

Amy Kiser
    Participant

I just wanted to check in, I’ve had to switch focus to other items and will be revisiting this issue next week. I’ve seen previous discussions closed due to inactivity.

Thank you for mentioning rewrite rules and I understand there are no simple solutions. That being said, can you recommend any commonly known php files in which theme designers might add/modify rewrite rules?

I plan to dive into whatever documentation I can find regarding rewrite rules when I revisit this but any hints are appreciated.

Thanks!

Barry

I’m afraid I can’t give you any suggestions – themes can have widely differing structures and it might be most of the logic is crammed into a single functions.php file or it might be organized neatly in subdirectories … it’s impossible for me to really suggest a filename to look at, unfortunately.

Amy Kiser
    Participant

While looking into this I found a rewrite rule plugin for viewing rewrite rules.

It seems we’re definitely enforcing many rewrites that don’t jive with TEC 3.4. Here’s a link to a google spreadsheet with rewrite rule information:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AimFTrQTBvdWdDExeTR2TVZNSmtyXzBUMmwyMFlEN2c&usp=sharing

Not sure if you can provide any feedback from that alone, but sending it your way just in case. I’ll be working on this tomorrow (4/3) and will update with any progress.

Thanks!

Barry

Not sure there is too much more we can add based on that alone – but thanks for the update, it will be interesting to see if you hit on any solutions here 🙂

Barry

Hi! It’s been a while so I’m going to go ahead and close this thread (and so it will no longer be monitored by staff). If we can help with anything else, though, please don’t hesitate to create new threads as needed. Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘single event view not showing and other generally odd behaviour’ is closed to new replies.