How do I apply standard post categories to an event?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO How do I apply standard post categories to an event?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    thisismarkc
    Participant

The widget I’m using to feature posts on my site does not recognize the Event Categories, only standard post categories.

What do I need to edit to have the events categorized as both standard and event categories?

Rob

Hello there thisismarkc. I’m so sorry we failed to get you a reply here; this one must have slipped through the cracks and I’m really sorry about that. Now that it’s on the radar I’m here to help you get it sorted.

That said: this one admittedly may be a bit outside our control. The events themselves are just custom post types, and the event categories are a custom taxonomy we created to support them. What’s the widget? A third-party one, or something built into WordPress?

If not, might TAGS work? Unlike event categories, our plugin’s tagging is just reliant on WordPress’ general tagging structure. So it should be able to pull those in unless I’m misunderstood as to your main goal here.

Let me know your thoughts and I’ll try to advise you better from there. Thanks for your patience in the interim.

thisismarkc
    Participant

It’s a widget is a part of the wordpress theme that I have installed. It only gives me the option of pulling from Categories that are not ‘Event Categories’. I don’t have the option to choose specific tags. Is there nothing I can modify in any .php file for me to be able to use both category types when drafting an event post?

Rob

Hey thisismarkc. Thanks for confirming as much. While it’ll admittedly be a bit hard to troubleshoot without a copy of the widget, it sounds like this is indeed something that might need to be tweaked on the theme/widget side, rather than our end. The events categories themselves aren’t traditional WordPress categories, and my guess is the widget is only providing those as an option.

That said: if their widgets work like ours, you should be able to override it and use a custom template instead. (You’d want to check with the theme’s documentation as to whether this is possible + how it’s done). You would then use your custom template to call both types of categories, instead of just the WordPress ones.

That help? Sorry I couldn’t offer more here, but hopefully this points you in the right direction. Let me know if not.

Rob

Did you get a chance to check out my follow-up reply, thisismarkc? Haven’t heard from you in a few days…

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘How do I apply standard post categories to an event?’ is closed to new replies.